Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody Else Collect Matchbox Or Hot Wheels Cars?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Misc. 2 523.JPG Misc. 2 529.JPG

I was just curious to see if anybody else collects Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars and trucks? Here are pictures, of some of the collection that my kids started. I never got around to taking pictures of my collection, but they are begging me to, so maybe I can get them taken and uploaded this weekend. All and all, I believe we have just a little over 2000 cars combined. Most of my collection consists of cars from around the early '70's and '80's, most new in the box, and all from my childhood. I used to mow grass in the neighborhood as a kid, and whenever I got some money saved up, I'd head straight to the five and dime store, to buy cars, or farm tractor toys. I never played with them, and I remember putting the cars in cases, and unfolding the boxes, to store in shoe boxes. The kids collections, on the other hand, consists mostly of newer Hot Wheels cars, on blister packs. Caleb (11) and Shayna (9), like to keep their cars in the packs, while my youngest son, Ryan (6), wants all of his new cars opened, so he can play with them. I just can't get him to understand that they have more value if they are still in the pack. He plays with them all the time, but I have to give him credit, he doesn't smash them together like most kids do.

We buy most of the newer cars, over the Christmas Holiday's, as you can usually buy the cars on sale, and since Walmart and Kmart, have them marked down sometimes to $.50 a piece, you can imagine how excited they get, when we come home with a shopping cart full.
It a good hobby, even though my wife would disagree, but it's something the kids and I enjoy doing together. It teaches them value, and they really get excited about their individual collections. They are constantly comparing and trading each others cars, and I truely believe it brought them closer together, as brothers and a sister. They respect each others collection, and they always ask for permission to see a car, instead of just picking it up, so I guess manors have to have some acknowledgement also.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you guys collected them too, so we could all get a chance to hopefully see some rare cars, and maybe even trade, sell, or buy some cars that we might be looking for. I'm really interested in hearing about each of your own collecting stories, about how long you've been collecting, or about why you started collecting.

Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 12, 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:28 PM

You have a great looking family there Troy! It's great that they enjoy a hobby and have the discipline to leave them in the boxes. I had what I considered a substantial collection of Hot Wheels when I was young (I hadn't seen yours yet though LOL). I never kept any of them in the boxes though. I probably had better than 100 cars.
My collection was Star Wars action figures and ships. I had many of the vessels that were rare and a few figures that had to be gotten through the mail with POP from other figures. I never left them in the boxes either. My oldest son still has all of the original figures and most of the ships as I had passed them on to him. He always treated them with respect (more than I did at his age) and has added many thing to it as well. He has some that are still in the packages.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Steve! It just makes you feel good, when your kids take an interest in something you enjoyed collecting as a kid, don't it?

I know this is probably an unlikely thread to be seen on a garden tractor website, but since the weather is cold, and there isn't much happening in the sheds, I thought I'd share a little of our Winter time hobby. Come Spring though, you best believe that tractor collecting takes priority again!

We collect farm tractor toys, marbles, and Tonka trucks too, but that's for a thread come next Winter. My daughter just recently started collecting snow globes too, so as you can see, our house is getting pretty full.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Quite a collection you have! I have a bunch, probably a few hundred. They are all out of the boxes and in a container but they are 'new' and nothing special.

#5 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• Member No: 8507
  • 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yepper- one of a 'few' other things I collect as well - when i got older i started to keep mine in thier original packages - i was lucky enough to get the special 'hotwheel' display frames ( vehicles in their packages slide into small slots) - have 9 of those, also have several boxes packed away of them, my latest ones are the holiday 'Johnny Lightning' series. Most my hotwheels come from the 80's and later.

Also collect 1/25 diecast and plastic models and 1/18 scale diecast vehicles- the den is a lil packed with them....

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yepper- one of a 'few' other things I collect as well - when i got older i started to keep mine in thier original packages - i was lucky enough to get the special 'hotwheel' display frames ( vehicles in their packages slide into small slots) - have 9 of those, also have several boxes packed away of them, my latest ones are the holiday 'Johnny Lightning' series. Most my hotwheels come from the 80's and later.

Also collect 1/25 diecast and plastic models and 1/18 scale diecast vehicles- the den is a lil packed with them....

Well, where are the pictures?? I know, as a collector, you have taken some over the years. Same thing applies to Matchbox and Hot Wheels, as it does Garden Tractors, you don't have any until we see pictures! LOL

Seriously though, It would be nice to go back in time and remember some of the older cars, so if you get a chance, and are willing to show us, let's see what you got. The pictures that I included above, are from the kids collection. I'm planning on taking pictures of my collection this weekend. I'll post them after the new software is changed over.

#7 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Im actually still figuring this out - i just signed up the other day .... heres a pic of some of them before i moved south :
hotwheels.jpg

Ive bot a whole lot more since then.....

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 001.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 013.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 026.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 040.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 052.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 066.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 080.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 089.JPG

Well, after spending a couple of hours of bringing the cases and boxes of cars up from the basement, here are "some" of the pictures of my cars. My word, I didn't realize there were so many. Due to taking over 144 pictures, I have to upload the pictures in a couple of replies. I've been wanting to take pictures anyway for insurance purposes, so this was as good of excuse as any to get it done. I'm attaching all of the group pictures, as ther is no reason to upload all of the individual pictures of each car. Hope you enjoy, and I look forward to seeing pictures of other collections.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 12, 2013 - 09:36 PM.

• daytime dave said thank you

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 097.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 101.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 109.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 113.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 126.JPG Matchbox and Hot Wheels Cars 141.JPG

Finally, Done! Hope you enjoy!

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 12, 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#10 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 09:29 PM

You have quite the collection Troy.I was collecting them for a couple of years ago before kids.Kinda got out of that though.I also still have the ones from when i grew up.Sorry don't have any pictures they are packed away in the attic.

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Wow Troy,that is quite the collection.I used to have a collection of some where around 150,but over the years,they seem to have gone among the missing.

#12 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 11:21 AM

That's a really nice collection.Your kids look really proud of it too :thumbs:

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 02:37 AM

That is one nice collection! Congrats!

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Many, Many moons ago I helped a friend with some AC repair. When I was done he asked me what he owed me and I told him nothing, he then asked me what Car I enjoyed most and I have always love the ford mustang especially the 60's models. Next thing I knew he brings out 5 cars and gives them to me. This started me collecting matchbox cars.

I'm not very big into it and have a small collection mostly of, you guessed it, Ford Mustangs but I do have other cars and Motorcycles and the majority are still in there boxes. I'll try and get some pictures over the next few days and get them posted. The big problem with taking pictures is I have some in my office and some in the bedroom (my side of course).

My wife use to pick up motorcycles in hopes that would satisfy my desire but they never did so one day she told me to go the store and pick out one so I did. I went down to the Harley Davidson store and picked one out! :) Of course it was a little bigger then she had in mind.

#15 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 10:40 AM

My collecting actually started in the 80's - ive purchased/received a whole lot before then ( kick myself for not keeping them- ah well) - at one point in the 80's i just started buying stuff and just keeping them sealed in their packages - i still look for new interesting hotwheels - usually ill get the same vehicle, just in different 'flavors' alot of the time. Same for diecast cars - most of them are the same car, just different colors/variations.

Plastic kits are similar too - if i really want to build one- i buy at least 2 - keep one sealed and build one.

Another addition to my hobby is buying at least one diecast ( hotwheels, or 1/18 scale) vehicle from each state i go to - bot some from tenessee, NYC even had my freind get me one from Italy - and have kept all the receipts as well.