• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shinklem OFFLINE  

shinklem

• Member No: 4729
  • 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hello all, first off let me say that I posted for the first time last night and was impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone was . Now to the HT20 problem. Last summer i was using the old girl pretty hard on a hot day and she started running rough (normally purrs like a kitten). Let it cool down and had no problems after that. Been trying to figure out why ever since. Anyone ran into similar problem, or have any ideas? Many thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I don't know too much about the largeframe Bolens, but It sounds as if your valve clearances need to be checked
  • shinklem said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sometimes ignition components will breakdown if subjected to too much heat, but be OK when cool.

Another cause of the rough running may be fuel percolation (boiling) or vapor lock caused by excessive heat. ....Today's gasoline is more prone to these problems.

Keeping engine cooling fins clean of debris is the most important step in preventing an engine from running excessively hot.
  • Alc and shinklem have said thanks

#4 shinklem OFFLINE  

shinklem

• 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:53 PM

thanks bolens 1000, i will check that out this weekend. pretty good with the wisconsin/tecumseh motors, not much experience with koehler. looks like i have some homework to do

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Sometimes ignition components will breakdown if subjected to too much heat, but be OK when cool.

Another cause of the rough running may be fuel percolation (boiling) or vapor lock caused by excessive heat. ....Today's gasoline is more prone to these problems.

Keeping engine cooling fins clean of debris is the most important step in preventing an engine from running excessively hot.

Yeah, Ever since they went to the E10 Ethanol, My Bolens will not restart when they are hot. Supposedly the ethanol makes the engine run at higher temperatures, I either have to wait it out until they cool or I give them a shot of carb cleaner to get them going again. I have been adding some anti ethanol additives and it seems to have helped.

#6 shinklem OFFLINE  

shinklem

• 3 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Bruce Dorsi, I wondered about maybe vapor lock. the engine covers on that motor seem to lay right against the head. did not look like the best design to me. One more thing, thanks for your help and let me know if i am not using the forum correctly (replying, posting, etc.) this is new to me

Edited by shinklem, February 08, 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#7 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Welcome shinklem, If the problem stems from the motor over heating. You may want to make sure that all of your heat shields are in place. On these older tanks it is not uncommon to be missing one or more of these items. and not only are they designed to keep heat away from the motor they also are important for moving cool air around the motor. just another thought. :)

Again Welcome!
  • shinklem said thank you