#16 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:40 PM

De-Ionized water will also work.....Although, I'm not sure how easy that is to find for normal people. lol

#17 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Kenny, can you share the label info on your Rustoleum product? My Loctite reads "Contains Acetone , Propane and Butane" "may cause rusting on non-rusted areas" and do not sand as it will break the bond". This is a hint that Acetone may be the "magic ingredient" as Propane/Butane are propellants. The reason I found that the black stuff won't rust is that it's stable ("not soluble in water") unlike bare steel. If Acetone does the same thing-(I'm going to get some now, because my can's empty):wallbanging: it may be cheaper than spray and easier to apply to inaccessable areas.??

I've got to find an anti-dote for this rampaging curiousity:D

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 08:57 AM

Not sure if you can read the label, so I grabbed a screen shot of the first part of the MSDS.
I see nothing that says to sand before top coat, but I try to at least skuff lightly before I do. Here's the pics:
RRRMSDS.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• RRRLabel.jpg

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#19 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Not sure if you can read the label, so I grabbed a screen shot of the first part of the MSDS.
I see nothing that says to sand before top coat, but I try to at least skuff lightly before I do. Here's the pics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29638[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29637[/ATTACH]

Thanks Kenny-Lowes doesn't carry your product and apparently the Acetone needs a "partner" chemical-the resin?- etc to work as a "home brew". Oh well, worth a try. I'll keep shopping.

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Lee, I buy it all the time at Lowes here.

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Lee, Acetone is a solvent that will evaporate very quickly so I doubt that it has any long term effect on the product. Acetone is an awesome degreaser, so if you apply it to bare metal it will probably encourage rusting rather than retard it. In the MSDS Kenny posted there is an ingredient that is proprietary. That is most likely the magic in that product. I haven't had a lot of trouble with flash rusting after the e tank but the humidity is not as high up here as it can be in other areas. That may be a big factor.

#22 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 04:44 AM

Lee, Acetone is a solvent that will evaporate very quickly so I doubt that it has any long term effect on the product. Acetone is an awesome degreaser, so if you apply it to bare metal it will probably encourage rusting rather than retard it. In the MSDS Kenny posted there is an ingredient that is proprietary. That is most likely the magic in that product. I haven't had a lot of trouble with flash rusting after the e tank but the humidity is not as high up here as it can be in other areas. That may be a big factor.

Yeah, I noticed that proprietary note-not likely they'd share. I use Acetone to clean before painting with acrylic lacquer. Its great, but you're right. It evaporates in seconds. Our humidity is a major factor here-Lee