23 replies to this topic

#16 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• Member No: 8550
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Earthmaster is dismantled!

Has a few brass bushings worn out I will need to replace/machine, the drives are in descent shape, just gooey and nasty from age and grease. The design is really simple on this machine, there isn't alot to it. I'm not sure if it could possibly have gotten much simpler.

The only real downfall is the drive covers. They appear to just float on the axles, I don't like that. I believe there is room above the gear to drill and tap a hole to bolt these in place without harming anything. Will look deeper into this after the bushings and frame is repaired.

I'll upload pictures. I'm using my phone, it tends to argue with updates containing pictures
  • trowel and LilysDad have said thanks

#17 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• Member No: 8550
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 04:55 PM

ForumRunner_20120229_163252.png

[ATTACH]27350[/ATTACH]

ForumRunner_20120229_165416.png

[ATTACH]27353[/ATTACH]

ForumRunner_20120229_165507.png

[ATTACH]27354[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• ForumRunner_20120229_163304.png
  • ForumRunner_20120229_163315.png

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,822 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the update, looking good, a lot of reel mowers had a similar type of gear cover that floats also, thanks for the update.

I see some of the images did not upload properly, if you still have trouble uploading mabey one of the moderators could help.

Edited by trowel, February 29, 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#19 Gunpilot OFFLINE  

Gunpilot
  • Member No: 40383
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Earthmaster is dismantled!

Has a few brass bushings worn out I will need to replace/machine, the drives are in descent shape, just gooey and nasty from age and grease. The design is really simple on this machine, there isn't alot to it. I'm not sure if it could possibly have gotten much simpler.

The only real downfall is the drive covers. They appear to just float on the axles, I don't like that. I believe there is room above the gear to drill and tap a hole to bolt these in place without harming anything. Will look deeper into this after the bushings and frame is repaired.

I'll upload pictures. I'm using my phone, it tends to argue with updates containing pictures

Hey, Levi18175,

Yep you definitely have an Earthmaster model "R".  I am the caretaker of one myself, I inherited it so to speak from a dear friend.  He had previously rescued it from the grandson of the original owner who happened to be a dealer.

I read your entire post with interest, as I've never seen another one besides the one I have.  These things were built in relatively low numbers in Burbank, CA.  

You are correct on the color, it is a blend of orange & red.  You can find information on the color on one of two websites.  There are several of us enthusiasts on a forum on Yahoo, and we have a sister page at www.Earthmastertractors.com  

Curious what your serial number is?  If you haven't found it, it is faintly stamped on the forward portion of the upper main frame. It would be just ahead of where the engine mounts.

Additionally, I read where several people indicated it would have a model 6 Briggs.  If that's what's on it now, it likely has been replaced.  These were originally equipped with a Briggs model NR.  It's practically the same engine that came on the David Bradley walking tractors around 1950-53, perhaps earlier as well.  These engines also came on the 47-48 Hiawatha Doodlebug Scooters.  The only difference would be the kickstart on the Doodlebug versus a rope start on the Earthmaster.

I'd really like to hear more from you about your tractor.  Mine is in no better shape than yours.  Ultimately I'll restore it to original condition too.   I'm still hoping to find some original tires, mine are completely dry rotted.

Please let me hear from you.  Again, especially about the serial number.

thanks, Greg

• MH81 and LilysDad have said thanks

#20 Gunpilot OFFLINE  

Gunpilot
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:14 PM

I thought I'd toss a picture or few on here if I can figure it out.  Earthmaster R.  Serial # 79.

Well, sorry, I can't figure out how to post a picture.

By the way, The engine should have read NP, I think I said NR, nope it's NP.
Sorry.  

If someone can guide me to posting a picture I'll give it a shot.

greg

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,242 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I thought I'd toss a picture or few on here if I can figure it out.  Earthmaster R.  Serial # 79.

Well, sorry, I can't figure out how to post a picture.

By the way, The engine should have read NP, I think I said NR, nope it's NP.
Sorry.  

If someone can guide me to posting a picture I'll give it a shot.

greg

Welcome to the site Greg! HERE is a link to a video on uploading images.

• Gunpilot said thank you

#22 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,808 Thanks
  • 8,928 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Greg, glad you joined us! Your already pitching in with info.

• Gunpilot said thank you

#23 Gunpilot OFFLINE  

Gunpilot
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'll get back with pictures at a later date.  I gotta get going right now.  Before I go, here's a partial list of my garden tractor collection, I'll put them all in the right forum eventually:

Earthmaster R

David Bradley 1953 model (original hand-me-down from grandfather) with numerous attachments

Planet Jr Tuffy

Planet Jr Super Tuffy

Choremaster

Wheel Horse 854

and the big one, Earthmaster C (same size as a MH Pony or Farmall Cub).

• MH81 said thank you

#24 Gunpilot OFFLINE  

Gunpilot
  • 4 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 04:18 AM

Earthmaster R, Serial #79.

IMG_0509.JPG

• DougT said thank you