Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

EarthMaster Walk Behind!!!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• Member No: 8550
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 01:22 PM

I have recently attaind what appears to be an EarthMaster Model R Walk Behind Garden Tractor. although it looks rough, all the important pieces are there and functional. Aside from a crack on the frame, and the mangled belt cover the unit is in decent condition considering its age.

I am beginning a restoration on this, and have little to no information about it. I have researched the internet and came up fairly dry as to this perticular model. Any details would be great!!!

Is there any way to tell if it was manufactured in the East or West Coast? as this would determine the color coordination.

What is the actuall Red that they used?

Where did the logo go?

How was the drives serviced?

In a basic sense HELP!!!!
IMAG0238.jpg

I want to get this restoration done right, since this may be one of the very few left...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0237.jpg
  • IMAG0239.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 10,300 Thanks
  • 23,576 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Welcome! Just wanted to say howdy! Can't be of help with your Earthmaster. Maybe someone else will come along soon.

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 1,923 Thanks
  • 1,955 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Levi, welcome to GTTalk. I see you found the other earthmaster thread. Other than the weights, is there anything else that identifies this as an Earthmaster? I've never seen any other walk behind models other than the one style.
  • Levi18175 said thank you

#4 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Here is a link to the brochure I found, there is also a magazine article that has a few pictures of it but I cannot seem to find it again. It's about all I can find about the whole tractor. I found alot of history on the company.

R Model Brochure

From what I have read, there were two main tractor chassis, C & D. Each had variations in height and hydraulics that lead to the rest of the initials in the models Ex. CN, CNH, D, DN....

They also made two different walk behinds. The Model S and the Model R. The Model S was obviously much bigger and had a "Saweeeet" sulky attachment with lift linkages. They made some alterations to the S and produced the Model SSR which is about the only other walkbehind I can find pictures of. The Model R was a small economical tractor made for wartime budgets and efficiency.

Thats the basic information that I have attainded so far. If there are any inacuracies please let me know.

Ill post more pictures as I get the project rolling. Ill treat you guys with them as I work on it.

#5 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 04:27 PM

The biggest clue as to the EarthMaster, is how the implents mount to the front of the tractor. It is the only tractor that I have seen with this setup. Ive been all over the web looking into this and have found next to nothing other than the brochure.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,567 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 05:12 PM

:wave: Levi18175 Welcome to GTTalk! It looks like you've found one of those hen's teeth I've heard tell of LOL. I'm afraid that I can't help at all with the ID. If Doug doesn't know off hand, maybe he'll be able to help figure it out. There are a couple of others as well who are really up on the walk behinds, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and best of luck with it!

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• Member No: 5127
  • 2,261 Thanks
  • 2,849 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ive been all over the web looking into this and have found next to nothing other than the brochure.

This tractor is a lot like the Speedex i use to own, the company Earthmast is more known for the riding tractors, not so much the walk behinds, http://www.google.co...TmM23CR-u3h2KFw
Just like my speedex the walk behinds were a specialty tractor, the company made more with the riding tractors so not very many was sold, i have seen a few pop up now and then, yours is by far the oldest i have seen yet, the Briggs 6 more then likely is original to the tractor and will give you the year it was assembled for the general market, i can not help you as far as the tractor itself but there are other GT Talk members who may know, sorry i could not be of much more help.
The Briggs 6 i can help with if you need it.

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 1,923 Thanks
  • 1,955 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'd been on the Earthmaster site but never saw the brochure on the R. That's a new one on me. It does look like a Speedex in some ways. I would think it would be newer than the S and SSR though. They were powered by a Briggs model B which would have been before the 6. It woould be interesting to see the date on that engine. I'll do some checking. I know ther is a paint code for them somewhere.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 2,261 Thanks
  • 2,849 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Doug, never seen that link before untill now, i do remember seeing a small web site on the older Earthways such as theses but can not find it, it may have been on Yahoo, im looking in archives but doubt i will find it, mostly im going by memory which is at most shady and not dependable.
More then likely im very wrong on the engines but do recall seeing them with briggs 6's and 8's.

#10 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 11:39 AM

What do I need to look at to determine the engine model and year? I have not noticed any distinguishing markings on it, but haven't really stared at the engine yet. I'm more focused on the the tractor frame at the moment.

I'm assuming the color on the brochure is fairly close to the original, I'm planning to use it to match the color up. I would like to know if it was made in california or not. I think the chrome yellow wheels would really pop on this tractor, but if it's not right then I'll leave it all red.

Thanks for the help, any input/info is very appreciated!

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 2,261 Thanks
  • 2,849 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Very good, as of right now the color of the tractor will have to be matched with the brochure and the exsisting paint on the tractor, in the end it is your tractor and up to you to paint it any color you want but if you wait a little while another fellow GT Talk member may come up with the color and model no. for this tractor.
As for the engine the model no. and serial no. is stamped on the ID tag riveted on to the cooling cowing tin that wraps around the cylinder barrel, the date of Mfg is casted on the inside of the flywheel, it will be 2 letters, Example : 54 this means casted in 1954, the carb is the up draft 2 piece flow-jet, if you have a question regarding a conponet on the engine take a picture of it and post with the question, it make it much easier and smother for us to help you.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,282 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 05:16 AM

I also just wanted to say welcome.

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 2,917 Thanks
  • 5,279 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Welcome Levi18175. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

#14 Levi18175 OFFLINE  

Levi18175

• 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been focusing on this one completely. I have dug up the original painting codes and got the engine to fire. I'm going to start dismantling very soon. I have found a crack in the frame, nothing I can't fix. And I will need to make a new belt gaurd since the original has slowly started becoming "one" with mother nature.

I have got a bigger project going I was will post soon. Building a killer Wheel Horse 500 Special

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 2,261 Thanks
  • 2,849 posts

Posted February 29, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the update, the killer Wheel Horse 500 Special sounds like a treat.