Garden Tractor Forums banner

Trailer Curse

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Cvans 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 16ft dble axle that I haul my small subcompact tractor on and a 5 x8 that has been my general purpose trailer for many years. Decided I wanted a 5 x 10 with the high metal grate sides for hauling debris, GT, etc.....and would then sell my 5 x8.....

So far I have missed 3 by minutes....all good deals......I am beginning to think I am cursed :smile1: ....last night I looked on craigslist before I went to bed nothing new.....woke up at 6 this morning and looked at 6:30 one had popped up after I had gone to bed.....texted the guy and it was already spoken for.....30 miles from my house........would have been a easy deal....

Any way justed wanted to vent my frustrations. I keep reminding myself...the lord has one for me and this was not the one he has picked for me.........sometimes patience is a hard lesson to learn....even at 52.....:smile1:

#2 ·
Wit all the attachments I'm amassing, I'm going to have to get a larger trailer.

#7 ·
Thanks mrolds88.....I did that....of course the one this morning was a 7 x 14 with the high mesh sides....looked almost brand new for $800..... would have upsized for that type of money :smile1: ....he said he would call me back if they guy did not buy it.....ain't no way that that is going to happen......too good of a deal to pass up......He could buy it and sell it for a quick $200 down here...heck I would pay him a $900 and let him make $100...

\
mrolds88 said:
Maybe put an ad on CL for a 5x10 wanted? I know, you'll never get an answer. LOL (my luck)

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is where some smart arse says "good things come to those who wait", right. But I aint the one waiting
. I agree with the guys above, the right one will find you sooner or later.

edit
smilieman

Reactions: sacsr
#11 ·
Well....I might have figured out why I missed this one.....went to get some cash out of my bank today.....says I am pretty thin on available cash at this time......guess my daughters wedding 2 weekends ago must have cost a few more bucks than I was aware of...(women do that some times).....:smile1:. .....thats okay it was worth the price to see her walking down the aisle.:smile1:

Guess God knew how much I had in my checking account better than me!!!

But I am still waiting for the right trailer to come my way...........

#12 ·
Casey....you may be right on that 5 x 10 being too small........there is a 6.8 by 12 with all my requirements down the road......price is too high .....but maybe in another couple of weeks he will come down.

George- yea the Bush Hog curse and trailer curse may be working together to haunt me .....

#13 ·
Well more to the story on the missed trailer......another trailer showed up different size....but "same" looking trailer.......wanted $1000 ......I called and ends up it was the same trailer as the one I missed yesterday (original owner had wrong size-measure tounge, fenders, etc on it) and he had bought it and listed it and had already sold it this morning........ gotta love wheeling and dealing.......from what I could tell he had paid less than the asking price yesterday and got his asking price today........and I thought I was a pretty good wheeler dealer.......I am definitely not in the same class as this guy......:smile1: I better go back to school

#14 ·
I hope your waiting/patience pays off on a good deal. Sounds like there is money in the trailer flipping business. I have sometimes thought of getting a smaller one too. Can't justify it for my needs yet. Good luck.

#15 ·
Well I picked up a trailer today......6 x 10 aluminum Cargo Mate ......owned by a perfectionist....stained the wood floor every year.....trailer looks new.........I researching now but any idea what one of these cost new??

To dark to take a picture...but the only thing I have seen on this trailer I do not like is how the trailer gate is latched...will take a picture tomorrow and would like some input on what could be done to make it better

I am now waiting on the guy to pick up my old trailer....been a good one for 14 years.....will hate to see it go.

#19 ·
I'm running a 6 x 10 tandem axle and it does a good job for me. I can haul 3 GT's sideways on it plus other attachments. I do plan on adding a 1' beavertail this summer just give me a little more room when hauling a vehicle. Seems the kids like to call me when they are broke down.

#20 ·
Here are the pics

Actually the bed is 6.5 x 10

Would have liked a 12 but this came up at a decent price and I have always wanted an aluminum trailer ..... More for the lighter weight.

I don't like how the gate is held up. I lost a pin on the right side driving home. And I am 99 percent sure what has on there now is not how it came from the factory.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to secure this gate on s better way?

Attachments

#22 ·
Very nice looking trailer

If that ramp will lay down on the bed I would sure consider towing it in the down position to save fuel. Those ramps make nice parachutes.
Just out of curiosity what's wrong with the trailer in the background?

#23 ·
Thanks Chris! The trailer in the background is staying....the one I am selling is a 5 x 8 trailer.....the two bushhogs are on the 16ft tandem axle trailer in the background. The 5 x 8 had gotten too small for what I need.
I am with you on the parachute....I am probably going to take the gate off when I take long trips and use ramps to load.

#26 ·
That is a sharp looking trailer. See we told you something would come along, Nice Find!!

#28 ·
Great ideas Howard! I am definitely going to come up with a way that I will not lose them. I like the spring loaded idea....always there and pressure to keep it locked in .......will have to look into that. The gate can slide sideways an inch or so and then back and forth based on how well the pins hold it......would like to tighten up the gate so I don't get any banging noise driving down the road.
One thing for sure....this trailer is light....without any weight on it.....hit a bump and it jumps....little more noisey than I like driving down the road when it hits a bump.....going to go through the whole trailer and see where this noise is coming from.

I noticed when I pulled on the wheels their was more movement than I am use to feeling and seeing in the hubs......bearings may be going out or maybe just needs to be tightened up a bit.....anybody got a rule of thumb when doing this?? I usually tighten the nut all the way tight by hand then back it off till the hole comes in line with a space on the nut...slide my cotter pin and away we go.....just want to make sure that is the correct way of doing it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.