wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 12:21 AM

Ok, crazy question. My E20 has an issue with the transaxle input shaft, wobbles for one, and for two, the pulley was welded to the shaft (in the wrong position no less). I just realized the E20 Peerless transaxle should be the same as the 4 speed JD Peerless transaxles, except for blocked off reverse. Can the Elec Trak axle housings be switched to a JD transaxle and or do you think the axles are of a different size/length. Any takers on this idea?? I mean even though I would have the reverse I don't think it will get to it for the shift pattern plate anyway. I need a way to avoid totally opening a transaxle (months of downtime in this shop...). At least axle housings are relatively simple compared to a rebuild... especially since I have a couple JD transaxles here right now. Thoughts??

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:22 AM

Some guys on the other site do what you are, they do it to get the limited slip feature that some of the JD tranys had.
Weather it's a straight forward swap, or if parts have to be changed over???

Sparky, where are you?

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Ok, I have great news to report... I have located an Elec Trak transaxle... And you'll never guess where.

My parts shed... lol. It turns out I rescued one from the scrap yard last year and didn't even know it, and it was BEFORE I had my E20. It had just hit the dirt of fresh scrap when I saved it. All it had was a broken shifter, but I thought it would be great for parts, so I took it home with me at scrap price. I thought it was out of a John Deere but it had a funky brake (disc) on it and the mounting pads were wrong for JD, and too wide for Springfield, so figured it was odd. I had tested it and thought it was broken because I could not get reverse gear to work... turns out, it NEVER existed!! LOL. I had stored the thing indoors to use the internals at a later date (never came lol). Now I have a use for it, and yes... it does have the pulley, unwelded lol.

I do not know how to explain what has occurred here but I am overjoyed. I guess the Elec Trak gods shined down on me this year... First an unidentified transaxle, then the E20 with a transmission problem... hmmm... who else is in the Elec Trak Twilight Zone?? LOL

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Casey, I managed to get ten minutes free today to call Sparky. He's been very busy with the farm and the etrack research ( hot new lead) but wanted me to tell you that yes, a JD rear end will work. Most guys that do this opt for the one with positraction, but either would work. He did say there would probably be a bracket or two to manufacture as not all those tranny units had the same bolt pattern.

BTW, good save. Glad you had a spare sitting in the shed. Wish we all were so lucky.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I was going to call Sparky about the Elek Trak this week but I keep solving my own problems LOL. Thanks for calling Sparky, I usually only call him to solve a problem I can't solve myself lol. Glad his research is coming along well.

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Casey and Doug . I actually could have spared a transaxle but I know Casey is resourceful . And yes the difference between a 2317 and 2318 peerless is the posidrive thing . Wish I had time to pursue one for myself. Wide tires and chains here . Strictly technical talk of course :bigrofl: The beginnings of the Elec-Trak are open to interpretation but the people I met - well , wouldn't want to trade the experience now. Sorry about your welded pulley Casey but it came to me that way .

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 10:39 PM

I had a feeling of that Fred, but did the shaft wobble?? lol. I figure I might as well make the repair now, and in this case, a swap. I don't know what I have, but I get one spinning on either transaxle. Could put posi trans in it but wheres the fun of tire selection at that point? lol I have so many wheel weights and chains I don't need anything positive LOL.

Oh, and glad to hear you are having fun meeting new people.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:01 AM

I didn't know GTs had posi rears , does anyone know how thay work ? If I had a choice Casey I would put one in if I could , Al

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:32 AM

I didn't know GTs had posi rears , does anyone know how thay work ? If I had a choice Casey I would put one in if I could , Al

Al, posi would be awesome but I didn't know any had it until now. I dunno, I could but then what to do with my newly discovered Elec Trak transaxle lol. I have no clue how to know the difference between one with posi and one without anyway... lol For now, I use exactly what I have available to me.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 07:48 AM

Don't know if this will help, Al. But here is the exploded view of the 2500 Peerless transaxle from the Ford. It has the limited slip feature.
FordTransaxle.jpg
Definitely gets both tires turning when needed.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Kenny , I wonder if parts 11 & 12 are some kind of friction type parts ? When you lift your Ford can you spin the wheel ? Or are but "locked " together ? Al

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Good questions, Al. I think the #9 gears inside #7 are what 'locks' it. I haven't noticed whether you can turn one wheel only when jacked up, hadn't paid much attention. I'll check that out and get back to you later. I do know when I had the blade on the front and tried to push a large pile of dirt, it started digging holes with both tires.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 09:39 AM

Here's another pic of the 'differential'. Second pic is where I got this from.
TecumsehHandBook.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• FordTransaxle2.jpg

• Alc said thank you