dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 11:30 AM

If the blessed things don't put out the product they just meat anyway. The best Steak I ever put in my mouth was from a barren holsten.

#63 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 05:33 PM

Going to dig the end wall so I can set the 3 blocks to completely finish the 2nd & 3rd layer this morning. Then I may get a wild hair & start the 4th layer. But I need to go get the cattle trailer hooked up to take 4 cows to market. 1 with feet I can't help, 2 others with chronic mastitis & bad feet (bad feet & mastitis go hand in hand), and a 4th that just won't hardly wet the weigh jar with milk. I sure do hate to sell more with my cow numbers so low, but the beef market is higher than ever, and keeping them just costs me instead of making money. The money they will bring at market is more than they would ever give back in milk if I kept them 5 years! Sorry cows are just sorry cows...

A few things here Dan.

WOW seeing those blocks on the trailer and with the men in the background gives those blocks a whole new perspective WOW. Them is some BIG LEGOS you are playing with, be careful and Good work! A picture of one in process hanging from your tractor would be extra neat.

Those bad cows are a business decision and it sounds like you are a wise business man. Assuming your intentions are to make money (DUH), that is the right thing to do. Your bottom line must be pretty tight anyway (I dont know of any rich small farmers, just some of the big arrogant guys) and every penny lost is the penny you lose.

Keep up the good work, milk is a WONDERFUL thing Yum, yum!!

#64 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 05:40 PM

I will try to take a video of moving a block & setting it. I'll have to have someone do it for me, as my hands are all busy when doing it. Likely not doing any block tomorrow, as it's gonna rain tonight & tomorrow morning. I set about 1/2 the 4th run today, then the chain snapped. It wears through the chain after so long. This same chain has worn through links 3 times, and is now too short! So I have to switch to a different chain before I set any more block.
  • Michiganmobileman said thank you

#65 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:28 PM

I just kind of assumed you used the same technique as the ancient Mayans when setting blocks, Daniel.

#66 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well, today I finished the 4th run, and back filled all the way to their tops. I'll wait till next week to set the top run. The rest of the fill dirt on this wall will have to wait until I get the pit almost full sometime late August or so, as I can't dump dirt any higher than where I'm at. The silage will get me way up there. Too dangerous to attempt taking dirt down the top of the dirt divider as the dirt is too soft & the wall could be pushed over if I sunk.DSC00734.JPG DSC00735.JPG DSC00736.JPG

#67 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Looking good, Daniel. I know you will be very happy when this is totally done and full. Great job! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#68 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Today was a long day! I got up, did the milking, then started on the giant Lego blocks. I got the one wall finished, topped off at 5 blocks high. Then I got my MF1855 with it's FEL & got the angle cut in the dirt for the opposite wall's first layer of block. Then I got all the first run of block set in place. Then time to back fill with drainage gravel. Got that finished, then fed 3 loads of silage. We need to get to a heifer auction by noon tomorrow to replace some of the bunch we've had to sell, so I went out to dad's & hooked up the cattle trailer. Truck was low on coolant & oil. Topped that off & trailer is parked here, ready to go. I AM TIRED!
DSC00738.JPG DSC00737.JPG

The huge stack of blocks is just about gone, so waiting for the concrete plants to get more made.

DSC00739.JPG

#69 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 07:03 PM

That sounds like a long day. Almost makes me tired reading about it. Its looking good.

#70 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Looks great, Daniel. Won't be long and it'll be ready (if you get more Lego blocks soon). Those will be some nice silage pits when your done. Good thinking on your part to use these for the walls.

#71 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I wanted to get this other wall's bottom run set so that we can go ahead & pour the new floor whenever we get the chance. We can get the floor poured & cured while gathering the rest of the block to finish the wall. We need somewhere around 90 more blocks delivered to finish. This wall I'm working on now will extend further than the opposite wall that I just finished. It will extend on into the other smaller pit that faces this pit, making one continuous wall 38 to 40 blocks long.

#72 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Looks like you are making good progress Daniel. Isn't any wonder you are tired. :sleep_sign:

#73 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Sounds like a good plan on the floor, might even make it easier to set the rest of the block. Hope they make you more Legos soon.

#74 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Looking good Daniel. Hopefully you'll get a little time to relax while at the auction.

#75 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Looking good Daniel. Hopefully you'll get a little time to relax while at the auction.

Oh no, it'll rack my nerves for sure. Believe it or not, I'm 53 & never watched a cattle auction at a stockyard. Been to a few dairy dispersals, but they are nothing like a stockyard sale. I'm liable to buy a lot of 100 & not even know it! Getting ready to head out in a short bit so I can get there ahead of time & scope the situation.
We've always raised all our replacements, but gotta buy to get our herd numbers back up.
  • coldone said thank you