6 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Saturday brought out first snow that prompted mr to get out the 318 and snow blower.
Got about 5" of very wet snow, temps were around 30-34 degrees.
It was the first time I was wishing for a blade instead of the single stage blower.
I never got 5 ft before it plugged. I decided unplugging it would result in it plugging again immediately, so used the blower as a blade to clear my driveway.

I took my daughter to work about 3:45 and when I had returned, the neigbor had cleared the 1/4 mile lane with his Polaris 4X4 with blade. He's made a believer of me and the ATV for pushing snow. Now a UTV is on my want list.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 12:08 PM

I was reading & thinking that a second GT with a cab & a good 5 way blade was in order.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yes a second machine with blade is in the Needed Category. I'm in the hunt for a bigger machine, and have not yet found it.
I was given parts of a new John Deere Lightning blade 46" or 48"?, the one that fits the smaller machines. It's missing the angle latch and cutting blade. If I don't find another machine, it will be fitted to my Yard King(Murray) 22 hp before next winter. I had been a skeptic in regards to Murray machines, till I got this one.
But it has amazed we with it's capabilities and has taken verything I've thrown at it(including blatant abuse).
I don't think a 700 series JD with cab is in the budget fr this year? With 8+ acres and 1/4 mile of gravel lane to maintain I really need to get into the Super GT or Cut class.

The UTV will be an easy sale. My wife has wanted one sice she saw the first Kawasaki Mule over 20 yrs ago.
If I bought her one, I think she would let me use it?

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 07, 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#4 Misterbear OFFLINE  

Misterbear

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7904
  • 5 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 05:45 PM

JD, My original want was a blower for my 455. After seeing the problems one of neighbors had with plugging I decided on a blade. Glad I did! Hey at least you got some snow!

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 09:12 AM

JD, My original want was a blower for my 455. After seeing the problems one of neighbors had with plugging I decided on a blade. Glad I did! Hey at least you got some snow!

There are positives and negatives to both depending on conditions. Last winter all but one snow was drier snow and the blower was great.
When the drifts get 3 ft deep it's hard to beat a blower.
This first real snow of the year was completely the opposite and very wet. I believe in an ideal world one should have both the blade and blower and I intend to by next winter.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 10:35 AM

I would like to have a blower for the rear PTO on my CUT because when you get a big snow fall it is the best solution. I use a blade on my 300ft driveway with a hill up to the road and if you get a huge storm you need a big tractor to move the snow. I had an X475 and with chains on it, a dif lock and a bit of weight on the back it could move a lot of snow. The last couple of years we just haven't gotten the big storms we used to. We get a lot of heavy snow here and a 2 stage is probably a better choice for me.

#7 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 07:55 PM

With a wet snow, I also have trouble with the snowcasters on my Bolens. I know part of the problem is the chute needing to be smoother, but it is also coming from a warm garage to a much colder temp which causes a thawing then freezing problem. I do love plowing our driveway with the blade, especially with a wet snow that is not too deep. It also depends on the depth of the snow. If the snow is rather deep, it's better to blow the snow away from the driveway if you can. This is especially useful if you expect another storm. If you don't move the first snow back far enough, it gets real tough to move it back the second time.