Glyptal coating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ok since theres been a few questions about primers and painting on here I thought I wpould ask about this, I've seen several engine blocks and oil pans etc. 4-sale out there that have been GLYPTAL coated. From what I've seen its not exactly cheap about $50.00 /GAL. Has anyone reading this use this stuff on there engines or trans? Lemme know what you guys think. thanks

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:09 PM

As high quality coatings go, $50 a gallon isn't that expensive. I'd never heard of Glyptal before your post, but some quick research yielded that they are the former specialty coatings division of General Electric. It seems they offer several products, but the ones you're probably referring to are the high temp coating designed for extended exposure to temps of 400 degrees. Here's a link to the page, but it's just company info.
  • ducky and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#3 mikebramel OFFLINE  

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I have not but it sure seems most trans are lined with it

#4 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,535 Thanks
  • 3,783 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thanks Steve.
That is some great info.
The stuff does resist rust and could be a good coating after media blasting and during assembly to prevent any rust etching before the final paint. It"s always is a challenge to keep rust off my stuff during the building process.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 2,095 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Glyptal has been used for many years inside engine crankcases and transmission housings, as well as inside many electric motors.

Most often it is a dull red in color. .....Its main purpose in engines & transmissions is to seal any porosity of the castings, and to aid oil drainage back to the sump.

While it could be used on the outside of engine blocks or transmissions, it is not needed, and would add no benefit worthy of the expense.
  • ducky, tinner, JDBrian and 1 other said thanks

#6 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Bruce .. thanks for the info , the thought of coating the outside of the engine never crossed my mind. lol. I'm thinking once I get all the machine work done and get it back I might go ahead and coat the " inside "

#7 Billygoat OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Used to use it when I built hi-po car engines. As was stated earlier, Seals pores in engine and helps oil drain back. Small block Chevies needed all the help they could get when trying to get oil down from the top of the heads, so we used it there also.