currious about engine temps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:33 PM

I was wondering how hot does a kohler cast iron engine gets. I dont have 1 of those digital handheld temp gauge. Does anyone know how hot they run? I'm sure it varys ,with or without engine tins,maybe with or without a gov. I dont know, i was just currious. Its a kohler K-241 thanks

#2 jc56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:56 PM

I had an oil temp guage on a 18hp Briggs and I think the hottest it ever ran was about 220.The best I remember it was normally around 200F.Might help.jc
  • Salatino said thank you

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,535 Thanks
  • 3,783 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:39 PM

If you are worried about engine temps on an air cooled engine JC56 has one of the best way of monitoring it by looking at the oil temp. This is considering all factory cooling shrouds are in place and the cooling fins are clean.
We must remember that engine oil temps do not react as fast as coolant temps do on a liquid cooled engine. This means that an extended period of lugging an air cooled may not show the heat build as fast as the engine is actually reaching its limits.

I drive a lot of diesel engines and we are always concerned about crankcase temps because this oil also has to cool other areas of the engine as well. i.e. turbocharger bearings and piston coolers. A good # here would be 240* max. I would think if you are seeing temps of 240* you may what to reduce the load a bit or let the engine run @ a no load situation to reduce the crankcase temps a bit and continue your work.

Sorry for dragging this out.

#4 Salatino OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 11:22 AM

Dont worry I dont think you were dragging anything out. thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 04:53 PM

when it comes to air cooled engines never, never, never remove the cooling cowling and shrowd and always keep micky mouse from blocking it, even in the winter, with a cast iron air cooled engine heat is a factor in everything, it is not so much as cooling the air but keeping it moving, the cylinder barrel fins and head fins wick away heat and is made spicificly to do that job well, always keep them clean, cast iron engines will over heat quicker and more easier then a aluminum engine hench the aluminum head on cast iron engines, iron holds heat much longer then aluminum but aluminum will warp and distort much quicker then the heavy duty cast iron, a good way to tell if the engine is overheating it that any old oil and paint will start to burn off the cylinder barrel and smoke, massive loss of hp and the oil in the crankcase will boil and burn off, crackling and popping much like cooking oil on a skillet,