• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oak Hill Farm OFFLINE  

Oak Hill Farm

• Member No: 4136
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have a 425 with an engine that needs overhauled. Low compression in both cylinders, one side worse than the other by a good margin, smokes and blows oil out the breather. I looked at the price of parts both thru JD and at a Kawasaki small engine dealer. Not a huge difference between them, both being somewhat pricey. Since the tractor also has the "old" carb (along with the associated operating issues) on it I decided to look at a total replacement engine.

I looked up a FD620D at Small Engine Warehouse and found they have one, but state that it is NOT a direct replacement. Since the PTO end of the crank is not used on a 425, what are the differences in FD620's that make the current ones "not a bolt in replacement"?

I figure by the time I rebuild/replace everything on the old motor, I'd be closing in on the cost of a whole new motor. This way I could keep the old motor and work on it at my leisure (as funds are available) or sell it to offset some of the cost of the new motor.

Anyone else tried swapping in a "new" FD620 into their 425/445?

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:18 PM

You wont know till you take it apart. If the oil has been changed regularly the cost will be less than a whole new engine

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 06:09 AM

Maybe you could get more specific info. on what the differences are in the 2 engines. I would email or call SEW and see if they can tell you.

#4 Oak Hill Farm OFFLINE  

Oak Hill Farm

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Does anyone have a good copy of the engine wiring schematic for a 425? I downloaded the 4x5 tech manual from this site but whoever scanned it, scanned the wiring diagrams in while folded up. My tractor is an early model with the old style carb. It appears the engine wiring is different between the JD spec and regular Kawasaki engines.

#5 Oak Hill Farm OFFLINE  

Oak Hill Farm

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I emailed SEW. The response I received was not one that would inspire me to spend $1800.00 on a product from them. The response was a link to their "repower site" for John Deere garden tractors. The site was of no help at all. Besides I had looked at the site already to get their contact info.

Guess I will tear the engine I have down to evaluate the rings and other internals. If it's too far gone, I'll just part the engine out. Hopefully I can get by with rings and maybe a valve job. If so, I will probably splurge and replace the carb with a new, later model, one.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 07:24 PM

If the oil has been changed regularly those engines will go close to 3000hrs without major work. Hopefully yours will not need any major work. I don't imagine the parts are cheap!

#7 Oak Hill Farm OFFLINE  

Oak Hill Farm

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 21, 2012 - 08:54 PM

My suspicion is that I "dusted" the rings this summer when mowing in extremely dry/dusty conditions. The air cleaner lid was not properly tightened down and appeared to be letting air (dust) in past the air filter. The tractor has always used "some" oil, but after that incident things really went downhill. I pulled the engine out of the tractor today. That was far easier than I imagined it would be. Now comes the tear down...still holding out hope of getting by with a ring and valve job.