#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi guys,
I picked up a tractor and some goodies, one of them was a David Bradley disc harrow. There is a tag. It has a long "A" arm with a pin at the apex of the "A", and a set of 4 rollers about 2 feet away. I need a disc harrow to attach to a sleeve hitch and would rather trade than cut this one up and adapt it. Is there someone in NC who is interested enough in this that we can work out a trade? Or are these common enough that I needn't worry about defacing it?

Thanks,
Howard

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 02.03.12 009.jpg

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Howard, do you have a pic of the whole thing and a couple of dimensions? That may help someone recognize their "need" to own this. :D

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Good suggestion. I'll see what I can do a little later today when the rain stops.

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:39 AM

Do like I did, I bought a L38 IH disc made for a Cub Tractor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Made a little axle for it.

Posted Image

Bought an an electric actuator for it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVnJXE8pXk

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi guys,
I picked up a tractor and some goodies, one of them was a David Bradley disc harrow. There is a tag. It has a long "A" arm with a pin at the apex of the "A", and a set of 4 rollers about 2 feet away. I need a disc harrow to attach to a sleeve hitch and would rather trade than cut this one up and adapt it. Is there someone in NC who is interested enough in this that we can work out a trade? Or are these common enough that I needn't worry about defacing it?

That would be me, before you cut it up i would like a compleat picture of it.

Edited by MH81, February 05, 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Ok, Some pictures as promised. The discs appear to be about 10,5 inches in diameter. The tool bar is about 37 inches wide. Overall length is about 42 inches. You can see the odd arrangements of 4 rollers, which I assume slot over a plate to provide a support for the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 006.jpg
  • GE 008.jpg
  • GE 007.jpg
  • GE 005.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ok, Some pictures as promised. The discs appear to be about 10,5 inches in diameter. The tool bar is about 37 inches wide. Overall length is about 42 inches. You can see the odd arrangements of 4 rollers, which I assume slot over a plate to provide a support for the tractor.

The roller fit over a bar to allow the disc to swing from side to side. Personally as good of shape as its in I wouldn't cut it. I have one just like it.

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Yah, it is in decent shape, plus it still has the tag riveted to the drawbar. As I said, I don't really want to start cutting on it, would rather have a disc for a garden tractor. But I can see where a little bit of cutting and welding would shorten it easily and transform it into a sleeve hitch. I'm perfectly willing to trade, though, and let someone who WANTS it have it rather than cutting on it. The discs roll easily enough, I actually did manage to rig it to the back of my tractor and went over the garden which I had moldboarded earlier this week. Seat time is good time.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Ok, thank so much for the pictures, i just wanted to make shure it was not the lator one, like the one i found for my 104, those one you have now is pretty common and i had several over the years, i see what looks to be oil on the saddle bar rollers and swivel which would mean it was cared for, it looks to be in great shape, coming from a DB collector to you i would hold off at least for a little while with the cutting up of such a nice looking harrow and try and seek out a DB collector near you.
In the end it is up to you and i would not be upset seeing as i repurpose thing all the time and has converted a few of these harrow and 6 inch plows into drawbar types and hitch types for garden tractors and can walk you through the builds, i even converted a plow into a mule drawn one with wood handles but always check with others first and conferm like you just did here today, you get many thanks from me as a DB garden tractor collector.

http://gardentractor...ow-harrow-8915/

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:45 PM

If I could make a suggestion, you might want to put it on Craigs list as a trade only situation. There may be a DB collector looking for one a town over and has just what you need, never know.

It'll only cost you a few minutes of your time & taking a few phone calls. May find it a good home. I repurposed a disc about a year and a half ago. 6 months later a Springfield collector joined and I found out I had modified a rare one. Sorry Casey.

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:48 PM

The rollers slid onto a saddle/tool bar and allows the harrow to swing side to side aiding in manuvering around the garden/field, the a-frame that comes to a point with a 1/2 in bar will have a 3/16 th hole drilled through it for a cotter pin, that bar mounts to the tractor's frount tool bar, this method of mounting tools is by far my favoret compared to say the hitch mounted ones for Planet Jr. or Simplicity and is much less likely to break with it mounted under the tractor instead of a tow-behind, also the tractor pulls these tools from the frount tool bar instead of the back so it handles a little differently then the hitch mounted types, anothe feature i like, in the link i posted above you will see that the spud plow mounts the same way.
If you look at the early John Deere bottem plows for the A's and B's along with Farmalls the plow is hitched the same way, under the tractor with a long main beam being pulled from a tool bar that bolts to the tool frames near the frount axle, for the most part those are converted walk behind plows and some of the old times i have spoken with states that those types of "saddle" plows handle a little differnly then the hitch plow and pulls much easier with the long beam, the L model JD tractors used those "saddle" plows for many years.

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 08:06 PM

OK, I found a sleeve hitch disc harrow locally, but it was a purchase, not a trade. As the sleeve hitch harrow has a rear tongue, it appears that I could pull the DB harrow behind the sleeve hitch harrow and get double action, just like a full size disk harrow. At any rate, I am no longer planning to modify the DB harrow, though I still may sell it.

Howard

#13 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 08:59 PM

That harrow looks like any other harrow but for some reason my personal experience this harrow works better than any i have ever used I don't know if it has to do with the tractor it belongs on it's balanced right or something but it works great.