#1 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:04 AM

I am looking for Cheng Shin Jumbo Lug tires. I have looked everywhere and it seems that no one carries them anymore. I see them in pictures here and there and I just found a John Deere 212 on craigslist in my area that had them but it sold before I could get there.

The 23x8.50-12 Jumbo lug has very big lugs and they are a neat looking tire. Is there anyone that has some they'd like to sell or know where to find a set? Here's a couple pics of them to show what they look like. I always like to see other lug tires so please
post some pictures if you have them.

Attached Thumbnails

• jumbo lug 1.jpg
  • Jacobsen Lugs.jpg

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was looking around ebay the other day and there was a set on there on wheels. Don't know if their still there or not. I have looked for another set of those for a couple years after I got the set for my 107, (which just out of coincidence is one of the pics you chose). LOL!!!!! The last I knew they didn't make them anymore and to be honest I don't see much of a diffeernce in the way they pull versus the way the other sets of ags I have do. I have an old set of good years on my 100 that will pull almost as good as the Cheng Shins and they are a small lug. One thing about the big lugs is the ride is rougher as there are fewer lugs and they are tall. I just ran across a good deal on lug tires on ebay last week and while their not Cheng Shins I couldn't pass up the deal. I got a new set of 4 ply Deestone 23x8.50-12's shipped to my door for $126.00. They are advertised as Super Lug's but when I got them I put them next to my Good Year's and they are a spot on match to them. They also had 6 ply for sale for 4 bucks more a pair.

Under edit I looked thru my watch list and the set of Cheng Shins that was on ebay sold for 80 bucks. I found them on this website. http://specialtytire...ontact_spec.htm The part number on their website should be #G312121. Here's a direct link to the lug tire page. http://specialtytire...m/lug_tires.htm. Hopefully this helps.

Edited by IHCubGuy, February 05, 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#3 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:24 AM

That's just the luck I've been having lately. I get so close to finding them and then they're gone. I'm not really after them for performance,
I just really like the way they look. I contacted specialty tire and they said that it was discontinued, which isn't quite true. I also spoke to
Greenball Corp, they used to import the tire also. They can order them from Cheng Shin, but at a minimum of 300 units.... I don't understand
why no one would stock these anymore.

I bought a set of 23x10.50-12 6ply Deestones off ebay for my 100 a couple years ago, they seem to be a decent tire for the money as well. I appreciate
your reply. If I can convince you to part with your Cheng Shins, or if you come across another set, let me know! I'd also be willing to buy you replacements in trade. Here's a pic
of them on my 100. Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• craigslist 034.jpg

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Those are a good looking tire, and if you need the dig it is definitely a good tire. Have you ever considered ATV tires??

#5 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have thought of that too. There are a few ATV tires out there that have a Long Bar/Short Bar look to them and would probably look good too. If I don't have any luck with the Cheng Shins, that may be the route I will go. The kenda executioner and the GBC gator are a couple that I can think of. The only
thing is that they don't look very "authentic" on a tractor...

#6 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Yes, there are a few ATV tires out there that would look pretty good. Kenda Executioner and GBC Gator are a couple that I can think of.
They just may not seem "authentic" on a tractor, but I may go that route if I can't locate the Cheng Shin Jumbo Lug.

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, ATV tires would be a good way to go. You wouldn't find an exact match, but there are a lot of tread patterns that will give you good traction.

I recently put some CST ANCLA tires on the back of my 1886, and they are great for traction. They look pretty good too.

The smallest that they have are 24-10-12 though. Which would be a bit over sized.

CST is a name change from Cheng Shin, and they now call themselves MAXXIS.

Anyway here is a link to where I bought mine:
http://www.chaparral...e/368-1385.aspx

And a pic of that they look like on my 1886

100_4104.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4105.jpg
  • 100_4081.jpg

#8 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am looking for Cheng Shin Jumbo Lug tires.

Do you have anything against Carlsile Tru Powers? Here are the 23x8.50-12 Tru Powers on my Case. I've never had a traction problem with these tires. I like the looks and the lugs are not too far apart as to make for a rough ride. Overall very good tires in my opinion! I also have 23x8.50-12 Tru Powers on one of my 110s.

268367.jpg

Kenneth

Attached Thumbnails

• 222_Agtires01.jpg
  • 222_Agtires03.jpg
  • 222_Agtires02.jpg
  • 268366.jpg

Edited by KBear, February 05, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

• mikebramel, JD DANNELS and sacsr have said thanks

#9 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Well, I've got a set,.....

bigtenrope.jpg

but they found a tractor that they like. :itsok:

#10 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:10 PM

If I can convince you to part with your Cheng Shins, or if you come across another set, let me know! I'd also be willing to buy you replacements in trade. Here's a pic
of them on my 100. Thanks again.

That may be pretty hard to do as I bought mine specifaclly because I wanted them. Keep an eye out though and I bet you'll run across a set of them. Good luck.

#11 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. Keep those pictures coming. If anyone finds a set please let me know! Thanks.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Do you have anything against Carlsile Tru Powers? Here are the 23x8.50-12 Tru Powers on my Case. I've never had a traction problem with these tires. I like the looks and the lugs are not too far apart as to make for a rough ride. Overall very good tires in my opinion! I also have 23x8.50-12 Tru Powers on one of my 110s.

[ATTACH]29446[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29450[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]29448[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29454[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29453[/ATTACH]

Kenneth

Those are some nice GT's! I especially like the Case.

#13 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 03:13 PM

how about some goodyear super sure grips. They are vintage and cool. only problem is u cant get them anymore

#14 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 03:26 PM

how about some goodyear super sure grips. They are vintage and cool. only problem is u cant get them anymore

Yeah that helps thanks LOL! Actually I think that the 23x8.50-12 Deestones are VERY close to the goodyear mold.

#15 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Those are some nice GT's! I especially like the Case.

Thank you for the compliment! I really like my Case as well. Seems like that little dude gets recruited to do more and more work around here. Below is a picture when it was recruited for fire mitigation duties last year when burning irrigation ditches.

I do like the Carlisle Tru Powers. I maintain a pretty long access road where I fill in tire ruts from Winter and Spring pickup truck traffic so I do quite a bit of blade work with this tractor and really appreciate the traction qualities the Tru Power tires provide.

222_Agtires04.jpg

Kenneth