• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 06:10 AM

For my 7.25" saw, I use the Hitachi green blades. They are made for treated lumber. Last a lot longer the the normal ones.

#17 mj1015 OFFLINE  

mj1015

• Member No: 8476
  • 7 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 08:51 AM

Every wood saw blade I have seen, has those little groves. There are ususually 4bof them spea dout equally around the blade. What are those for?

The cut outs are also there for saw dust clean out your older blades would get bound up by the saw dust, these clean outs get it moving away from the cutting surface and toward the back of the blade , noise reduction was a happy plus along with heat reduction. For safety reasons they cant remove to much metal but I suppose every penny dose count when your talking profits.

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 12:00 PM

LOL , wow I love all the reasonings, the relief cuts are for expanding and contracting, not much to do with noise, that is done with gullet shape, as for the holes, any hole costs money! They do it for sructual reasons, how do I know this? I work for one of the largest and oldest saw companies in the world :thumbs:

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 07:47 PM

When I buy replacement blades for my Makita Mitre saw, I get the ones with the sound deadeners in it. It's that cutout only it squiggles further in and is filled with an (epoxy?) compound. It's amazing how much quieter these blades are. Never realized this was a side-effect of the true purpose.

Thanks for setting the record straight on the reasons behind the cutouts. Is the expansion more drastic in the newer materials used? Or is it that the expansion was always there, and the new metals allowed for the cutouts without losing structural integrity?

#20 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Epoxy filled is for vibration ,this is what causes the noise , not the disc . Tooth design , number of teeth, and proper set grind make or break a blade . Also carbide is not all the same, so you get what you pay for :thumbs: