22 replies to this topic

#16 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:24 AM

cars will do that sometimes the conections to the sensors will get loose. the light may go on and off. i wouldnt worry about it unless something seems wrong

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, my BIL can take it into work if we can't find it otherwise...they've got the complete set-up there instead of just a handheld reader.

#18 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 11:06 AM

a good extended warranty is like health insurance for your rig! You dont go to the cancer doctor for a broken toe do ya ?
take it in to a REPUTABLE GM tech he can fix you up fast and correctly. This is not always easy to find , a lot are just parts changers and crooks , but I will say a great tech is worth every penny ,as he is a mechanical doctor !
Dont be afraid to ask for certs when you go in for service too . If they are not proud to show them to you they are duds! And look for the GM certs ASE certs are easy peasy ,and any tradeschool kid with basics can pass them, A1-A8 are easy, its the advanced ones that are tougher L1 + .
I personally have an ASE Master tech cert. Big deal, its all the GM ones that really count. Most unfortunate for me is that there are no good GM dealers left in my area that I would care to work at , so I gave it up in 2008 and will never go back to working on vehicles again ,except my own , I much rather prefer to be a machinist , better money too :thumbs:

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:50 PM

I never buy anything new, so warranties aren't really applicable. My BIL is a Dodge tech, but they fix plenty of GMs where he works too, and he works for beer and future favours (we're building him a car shed for winter storage as soon as the snow melts), so the price is right. Not sure what certifications he has anymore, but I know he's gotten everything he can, 'cause that's where the raises come from.

I know what you mean about the proper certification though. If I were paying somebody real money, I'd want them to know my vehicle...especially with some kind of vague electrical glitch.

There are no good dealers left anywhere, as near as I can tell. Around here the dealerships are owned by just a few guys, so you'll get the same owner for Dodge, GM, Mazda etc.. It leaves both their customers and employees with little choice. So much for competition.

#20 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Ive worked for GM at a Caddliac Dealer GM certifcations are no Differnt they any of the A.S.E s The whole dealership service bay is a joke ive worked there . Warranty work pays less then customer pay and i think its BULL. An baiscly ended my dealership Service tech career over a saturn with 39k miles with broken timing chain it was warranty job so it paid total of 9.75 hours to remove re install the engine Do compression leack down test not to mention the 3 days the car tied up the lift well the warranty company looked over all the parts and tryed to get out of having to pay for it , The worse part was they would not let me button it up and push it out of the bay to bring somthing else in. My 08 Gmc sierra thank god has 10yr 100k powertrain and emissions warrenty i had some EVAP issues but i found out it had Re call well Campain they did a Re design of the Evap purge valve basicly the vent for it would get clogged and stay open allowing gas fumes in the air any EVAP problems are almost un fixable unless you have the right equipement at the dealership we had the benefit of going on GM s website and punching in the DTC and we would get list of possibles read the symtoms and narrow it down I would Say blair take it to Gm it may be coverd
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#21 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:04 PM

That '72 1 ton with the flat deck and 4 bolt mains is starting to look better and better. All it needs is, well, everything.

#22 kb0nly OFFLINE  

kb0nly

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7469
  • 18 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Non Flashing CEL means it will not affect driveability but usually needs repair to meet emissions standards.

Flashing CEL means its something that will affect driveability.

Thats just from my experience. I have bought diagnostic tools, readers, you name it, just so i can continue to work or at least troubleshoot on my own vehicles.

The fact that it cleared on its own probably points to an emissions system leak, they usually clear in a number of key cycles once the leak is fixed or if the intermittent leak stops then enough key cycles pass its gone, until it leaks again! Most sensors will set a permanent code. Sometimes an O2 sensor can set a code that will clear after passing diagnostics by the computer for X number of key cycles, but it wouldn't be as quick as what you described because it requires more than a few cycles of the computer going from open loop to closed loop on the O2 sensor. A weeks worth of driving usually would clear up an O2 code after replacing the sensor, but some makes/models set a permanent code that has to be cleared by scan tool.

Gas caps are a big reason for CEL's these days. It sucks, but such is life in the emissions age. The wife's car, a Dodge Caliber, had an emissions leak that drove me nuts. The leak detection pump was cracked and leaking. Ironic right?? The dealer had to smoke test it to find it. Thankfully under warranty.

#23 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Wife's '05 Tahoe had the light come on. Went to the closest auto parts store (Auto Zone 22 miles away) and had them read the codes. They then printed out a sheet showing what was wrong. It was an O2 sensor. Let it ride for a while til the wife complained too much. About the same time the ac started blowing hot air on the driver's side for no reason and cold on the passenger side. Back to Auto Zone and it said the damper motor was out but couldn't tell me which one. Went to the Chevy dealer and paid $85 for them to read it and give me an estimate to repair. They came back with O2, sensor, ac damper motor (they call it a door motor), driver side front air bag sensor. When the brought it back out and left it running on the drive I noticed a little water underneath front and center. Looked and it had a small leak at the water pump. Dealer wanted $2400 and change to fix all. Bought the air bag sensor from them as it's only a dealer item and the rest from NAPA. Took me 6 hours to do it all and saved $1700. The hardest was the damper motor because it's so tight a working space under the dash. The O2 sensor they wanted $120 labor on took 10 minutes and the air bag sensor was the same labor cost and took me less time. Spent a bunch of time figuring out which dang metric wrenches and sockets I needed.