• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kirkcudbright OFFLINE  

kirkcudbright

• Member No: 8470
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:46 PM

I got the 1253 the other day, and it starts up. Immediately, I realize I have no idea of how it should sound.

It made me think of the experience of first starting an old Dodge truck I used to own. When starting, it made all kinds of gear noise, and I thought it had a problem. Then, a friend showed me that all of the old Dodge starters sounded like that.

So, now I listen to the tractor start up, and it sounds different. But, I have no point of reference. The starter does make me think of an old Dodge from that period. When it's driving, it sounds like an old World War II tank (but smaller). It definitely does not sound like a riding lawn mower (in a good way).

I have not yet replaced fluids, greased fittings, cleaned carburetor, cleaned electrical connections, etc. But, it would be nice to have a reference point.

I snooped around on the Internet for an example of somebody starting one up, without any extra attachments to alter the sound. But, I couldn't find anything quite right.

Can anyone point me to an audio or video clip of a well-running gear-driven tubeframe, with the same engine?

Of course, you are welcome to describe the sounds. But, I suspect that will be more entertaining than informative.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'll steer clear of answering this. Might take all day to find the right words to put in the right places. Might have to make up a few.
What engine does this have?

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 03:50 PM

This is sort of a hard question to answer..... In my opinion the Tecumseh engines do not run as smooth compared to the purr of a Wisconsin.
I think your best bet may be to record your tractor starting up and running, and then post it here .

#4 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 07:20 PM

The Tec motors do not seem to run real smooth and also seem to be a little loud. The tranny wines a bit adding to the noise but this seems to be normal with the hydro units. My craftsman is very smooth compared to the bolens but is only half the tractor IMO.

#5 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 11:14 PM

the tractor will never sound the same on audio as in person. if you dont have any mechanic ability of friends that do you my want to get a new tractor no offence. its just these old tractors can be temper mentle.