• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#76 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• Member No: 8519
  • 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 03:29 PM

when i buy one of these old machines i often think,i wonder why the last owner stopped using it. BUT when you start to strip it down bit by bit,it soon becomes apparent. they just ran them into the ground so to speak or they bought something larger or worst still they passed away.i just like the challenge of trying to get them back to there former glory so that us machinery guys can get a look at the horticultural or gardening heritage from days gone buy. i am sure that where ever we live we have the same song sheet.would be interested if anyone has a similar out look on our hobby. thanks for all the generous comments so far,

#77 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 07:40 PM

when i buy one of these old machines i often think,i wonder why the last owner stopped using it. BUT when you start to strip it down bit by bit,it soon becomes apparent. they just ran them into the ground so to speak or they bought something larger or worst still they passed away.i just like the challenge of trying to get them back to there former glory so that us machinery guys can get a look at the horticultural or gardening heritage from days gone buy. i am sure that where ever we live we have the same song sheet.would be interested if anyone has a similar out look on our hobby. thanks for all the generous comments so far,

We all sing the same song in unison here on GT Talk, SmokStak and MTF, it can also be passed on to future generations to appreciate were we came from and were we are going.
The fuel tank rotted out on this genset, with a little ingenuity and tools anything is possible : http://gardentractor.../11509-mep-g15/
Thank you for the pictures, bringing this one wheel wonder back to it's former glory is a sight to see.
  • john webster said thank you

#78 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 09:37 PM

I believe that you're right John. I love to see the way things were done in the past. To me it is a way to see how we got where we are now. I love to explain how these older things work to my kids and watch the looks on their faces LOL. It also helps them to understand that things weren't always so "user friendly" and / or easy to do in the past. The better, easier way to do things back then might still be a huge undertaking in the eyes of the current and upcoming generations! That's why I am so pleased with the young folks that we have on the site who enjoy working to make things better...it gives me just a little hope that not all is lost...yet!
  • trowel and john webster have said thanks

#79 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 07, 2012 - 11:23 PM

John,Great work, I must say that I think your little (we have the same song sheet) Is pretty neat, I am sure ill be using that phraze! Shawn

#80 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 04:01 PM

08032012837.jpg been busy again this evening. i am a work oholic. engine now mounted back onto chassis and both the chains for driving machine fitted and re tentioned. she is looking very smart now and i am pleased when i compare the first photos in the thread to what i have now08032012838.jpg 08032012840.jpg

Edited by john webster, March 08, 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#81 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 08, 2012 - 05:46 PM

The transformation is shocking compared to the oringinal pic's,.....oh man !...that color tone stands up and slaps you in the face don't it !! :bash: sharp looking with a nice shine, i am pleased with it too.

#82 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 11, 2012 - 12:47 PM

Petrol tank now refitted and have now taken a good look at the toolbar.this has had some hard work and it is badly bent at the chassis conection. to cure this i have removed old piece and refitted a more stronger section of angle iorn and it has done the job. when this is working in its lowest gear it will not stop when it hits a stone or tree root and so damage is deffinately going to happen some where.10032012841.jpg 10032012843.jpg 10032012845.jpg 10032012846.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 10032012842.jpg

#83 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Nice job updating the tool bar to a stronger section of steel, im really liking the depth gauge cast iron wheels on the tool bar, did you by any chance reseal the fuel tank ? and is it a 1 gallon or 3.7 liter ?

#84 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Nice job updating the tool bar to a stronger section of steel, im really liking the depth gauge cast iron wheels on the tool bar, did you by any chance reseal the fuel tank ? and is it a 1 gallon or 3.7 liter ?

#85 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 03:02 PM

hi trowel. the tank is 1 gallon and i did not seal it as it was not excesive with rust,but i have fitted in the tank and in the fuel line before you get to carb two fine gauze brass in line filters,so if there is any rust particles i will stop them. another thing i do is because our fuel is unleaded,i make a very weak two stroke mix and put this through the engine instead of pure petrol and it helps as a lead replacement.
  • trowel said thank you

#86 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 04:54 AM

That looks great ,John.Good job on the tool bar.

#87 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 13, 2012 - 07:24 PM

John, that is great, i do the same fuel mix with non detergent 30 weight oil for my 1940's and 50's engines, sometimes i double fuel filter too with the replaceable filters with the older metal fuel tank, good stuff.
Can you school me on the gear box, im interested in it and the gear ratios ?

Edited by trowel, March 13, 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#88 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 02:48 PM

hello trowel. i have got a friend of mine to look them up as he is very interested in these little gear boxes. will have a result for you soon. thanks
  • trowel said thank you

#89 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 01:26 PM

have now got the tool bar bolted on and also the air cleaner arrangement fitted.thee electrical problem is noe solved and have the handle bars and supports in paint at the moment drying.a few more photos for the record.17032012848.jpg 17032012849.jpg 17032012850.jpg

#90 john webster OFFLINE  

john webster

• 89 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted March 17, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Have just heard that the graphics are on there way so i then can refit the chai guard as the GOODWOOD logo fits on this panel , and one goes onto the air cleaner bowl.