Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Still not running but already shopping for add ons...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MaintenanceMan OFFLINE  

MaintenanceMan

• Member No: 303
  • 0 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 01, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I haven't had much of a chance to work on my MF12 lately but I did recently get a chance to pop the head off and take a look inside the motor. Much to my dismay it was not quite what I was hoping to see. Yes there was a fair amount of carbon but it did not seem to be enough to hold the valves up so I am thinking I am going to have to re-ring it. The head itself appears to be intact but upon further cleaning has some really weird marks on the under side. I don't have any pictures of it yet but the area over the valves looks like the surface of the moon is the best way to describe it. The cylinder walls also so some signs of some wear.

I talked to a guy that does work for my company that restores JD 110's for fun about it and he reccommend a quick polish with a hone and a new set of larger rings. So just for kicks I stopped in at my local lawn mower shop to get a price and man was I suprised! She couldn't give me an exact price but she figured it to be about $43 for a set of .010" over stock rings.

I will try to get some pictures to see what everybody on here thinks but until then I was wondering what you guys thought about theese accesories.

MasseyFerguson Front Tractor BLADE

Dual Rear Wheels for Garden Tractor

I don't NEED theese of course because it doesn't even run yet but I figured a little forward thinking couldn't hurt either. The set of duals is cool, however, I would just end up selling the transaxle because I would have no use for it. Do they look like they would fit?

Also does the blade look like one that is for or would fit my MF12?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

#2 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted June 01, 2010 - 03:39 PM

pretty much all the wheels are generic, id put them on..... if you have a spare transaxle

thats the right blade

i was wondering the same thing, because mine smokes, but i did a leak down test and will need some valve work (grind and guides) so no use for the .30 piston i got

#3 Tom R OFFLINE  

Tom R

• Member No: 496
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 02, 2010 - 12:23 PM

Many diffs/axles cannot handle the extra load on them that the dual wheels impose. If it wasn't offered from the factory, then it probably is not meant to be. The only tractor I'm aware of that offered dual wheels from the factory are Gravely 2 wheelers.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted June 02, 2010 - 02:39 PM

Many diffs/axles cannot handle the extra load on them that the dual wheels impose. If it wasn't offered from the factory, then it probably is not meant to be. The only tractor I'm aware of that offered dual wheels from the factory are Gravely 2 wheelers.

Simplicity also offered them from the factory,and Bolens also had a dual wheel kit offered in their 1963 catalog.

#5 Tom R OFFLINE  

Tom R

• Member No: 496
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted June 03, 2010 - 06:09 AM

I guess it just depends on make and model of diff they use(d). Gravely made their own.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 03, 2010 - 08:36 AM

Duals are ok if narrow tires, but duals with a real wide stance make turning much harder. I opt for one set of wide tires myself. I use a FEL with 26x12-12's in manure and there is no need for wider really. Plus duals can plug with dirt/crud between tires, and hard to clean out. Plus one wide tire is cheaper than 2 narrow ones.

Edited by olcowhand, June 03, 2010 - 08:48 AM.