• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kirkcudbright OFFLINE  

kirkcudbright

• Member No: 8470
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 04:01 PM

I have a 1253-2 and would like to better understand how the 1253 fit in with other models as I search for parts and accessories.

Was the tube frame a standard size among all tubeframe Bolens? Specifically, if an implement is physically attached to one tubeframe, can I assume it could be attached to mine (assume hitch and hp are compatible)?

Is 125x a family of tractors? Are they all based on the 1250, with minor tweaks from year to year? Would that suggest they would be more likely that others to have matching parts?

What is the difference between a 1253-1 and a 1253-2?

Is there a "best" tractor (other than a 1253) that would be good for parts if I came across an incredible deal on it?

Thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

The tube frames were made from 1962-1978. All of them basically incooperated the same design, but often many cosmetic changes were made from model to model. Most of the attachments were interchangeable from model to model Excluding the very early model attachments that went on the 600,800's (Mostly the mower decks).

The 1253 was made in 1970

The 1250 and 1253 are 2 entirely different animals... The 1250 is part of the Largeframe series and Parts from Largeframes are NOT interchangeable with tubeframes.
  • kirkcudbright said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:23 PM

OK, first off...the 1250 is actually a Large Frame tractor. Bolens threw everyone a curve, actually more like a knuckle ball, with that model number.

I'm pretty sure that the first Tube Frame hydro is actually the 1253.

As for differences between the -01 and -02, they are most likely so minor that you would be hard press to find them without factory drawings/specs, and won't make any particular implement/attachment incompatible with the other.

As attachment/implement compatibility, as a general rule if it fits on one tube frame it will fit on all of the other tube frames. Of course you would have to make sure that you weren't trying to run a 46" Snowcaster with a 6HP 600 :D

To find out what Bolens recommended for each model, get the Bolens "Attachment interchangeability chart" from here in the manuals section:
Bolens Attachment interchangeability chart - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

As for a "best", that is open to argument. I've seen the 1256 called the best of the Hydro Tube frames, but the H14 and/or H16 may have a claim as well, if only for their higher HP.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:34 PM

OK, first off...the 1250 is actually a Large Frame tractor. Bolens threw everyone a curve, actually more like a knuckle ball, with that model number.

I'm pretty sure that the first Tube Frame hydro is actually the 1253.

As for differences between the -01 and -02, they are most likely so minor that you would be hard press to find them without factory drawings/specs, and won't make any particular implement/attachment incompatible with the other.

As attachment/implement compatibility, as a general rule if it fits on one tube frame it will fit on all of the other tube frames. Of course you would have to make sure that you weren't trying to run a 46" Snowcaster with a 6HP 600 :D

To find out what Bolens recommended for each model, get the Bolens "Attachment interchangeability chart" from here in the manuals section:
Bolens Attachment interchangeability chart - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

As for a "best", that is open to argument. I've seen the 1256 called the best of the Hydro Tube frames, but the H14 and/or H16 may have a claim as well, if only for their higher HP.

The 1225 was actually the first Hydrostatic Tubeframe, The 1253 was gear driven .....

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:45 PM

DOH! :wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:

I looked right at that on the Sonnys site too.

Can I claim that someone :poke: , or the TypoFaries the live in my keyboard, or will I have to fall back on CRS disease?

#6 kirkcudbright OFFLINE  

kirkcudbright

• Member No: 8470
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the help.

1250 and 1253 basically have nothing in common.

Tubeframes are very similar as far as support for attachments (but, be sure to consider horsepower and weight).

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks for the help.

1250 and 1253 basically have nothing in common.

Tubeframes are very similar as far as support for attachments (but, be sure to consider horsepower and weight).

:ditto: That is correct.

Since the 1253 is a 12HP You shouldnt have to worry about having an attachment that requires more power, as the 12HP is more than enough to run basically all the tubeframe attachments.