#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Just wondering how often you had to top it off?
I wanted to get the whole inside as mine was rusty all the way around, how was yours on the top?

Luckily mine was only rusted to within about an inch of the top, so I filled completely and just let the foam roll out. I ran it as low as possible and tied a small screen to the end of the (+)-it was destroyed.

I'm thinking of reversing the process with a piece of galvanized anchor bolt as the "interior" cathode to "galvanize" the tank interior. I've tested it and it works. Heres the test pic.P1190086.jpg Its hard to see but the zinc is firmly bonded to the cleanest portion of the 3/4 strap.--Lee

#17 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 09:38 AM

This is an important subject for many reasons. But as Allen points out there are some important elements to getting it right. I'm not comfortable with some things about it and needing those answers first are why I'm in a holding pattern. Mine, in 45 minutes was WAY too hot to touch-possibly due to my charger*. Also, its important that hydrogen isn't trapped in the process so the general shape of the tank is important.

My second step, galvanizing the interior could be a big deal , but not being familiar with the common tank coatings--I'm not sure whether they are/are not as permanent, none-the less the next question is would the very thin remaining areas in my tank be able to withstand the acid concentration when used as the anode.

When I submerged my MF12 frame, I ran full out 36VDC/19 volts initially with no issues at all. This tells me that the mass of both the anode and cathode (resistance) is more important than I originally thought. I'd swear the frame expelled paint/oil off areas that were NOT line-of-site.

Oh Oh--I'm being to ramble--better get back to the lab.

* I can adjust voltage and read the amps, so I believed I was running <12VDC /pulling 2 amps, perhaps not. I need to verify that before I risk vaporizing the tank.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Lee, I think that would be a great test, but I have a feeling the (black stuff that used to be rust?) would keep the galvanizing from bonding. Somehow, it would need to be removed to bare metal.

Might try it with a piece you can inspect easier.

#19 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 04:26 AM

Lee, I think that would be a great test, but I have a feeling the (black stuff that used to be rust?) would keep the galvanizing from bonding. Somehow, it would need to be removed to bare metal.

Might try it with a piece you can inspect easier.

I have the same concern. My first "test" showed that the zinc transferred well only to the cleanest part of the target strap.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Did the bent rod deal & it worked much better. I think the next time I need to do one, I will figure out a way to get more surface area in there. More contact with the electrolyte.

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Did the bent rod deal & it worked much better. I think the next time I need to do one, I will figure out a way to get more surface area in there. More contact with the electrolyte.

I 100% agree on the larger cathode. Still uncertain about the black residue but I'm working on it. I posted a new thread about it today (Magnetite). It is magnetically attracted to the base metal so..???. I suffer from chronic insatiable curiousity, so I'll eventually find the answer regardless of how unimportant it is .:wallbanging::bigrofl:

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 09:29 PM

This is a very good topic you started here, Alan.
Being I'm anal, and was faced with a really filthy tank, that had to be
cleaned, I thought I'd try to refine the process.Took a bit of time to set
it up, but it's reusable, and somewhat adjustable. It's all ready to go, and I'll fire
it up in the morning. We'll see how it goes.
The pics pretty much speak for themselves.

P2110131.JPG
P2140140.JPG
P2140141.JPG
P2140142.JPG
P2140143.JPG
  • MH81 said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Will, that's a neat looking rig. In my experience with this, let it run for longer than you think you would need to.

Let us know how it works for you.

#24 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:02 PM

That looks like a neat setup Will, can you take a picture after you get her wired up and cooking? We now find out what the green tub was for :orangecool:

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:47 PM

Will, as good as you built this setup, I see no way how it wouldn't work great! If your power supply is sufficient, this tank will be clean! It's a lot of trouble to take this tank out of it's rigging, so I too would run it 2x as long as you might normally. It won't harm the good metal if ran & ran & ran.....

#26 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Great post. I have been wanting to try this but haven't yet. Thanks to everyone that gave sugestions on this topic. I will definatley try this now!

#27 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:21 AM

All done cooking the tank in the bubble bath. Sorry Greg, forgot to take pics of bath time.
I let it cook about 24hrs. That got all the rust and paint off, but left a lot of that black stuff.
Magnetite.
So I took about 20 3/8" nuts and some engine shampoo, and rattled it around for a few minutes.
Amazing how much more crap came out. I did that 4 times till nothing more came out. Thats about
as good as I can get it with this process.

P2150144.JPG
P2150145-2.jpg
P2150147.JPG
  • MH81, KennyP and Michiganmobileman have said thanks

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:34 AM

Wow, Will, that turned out fantastic. Imagine, all that gunk on the electrodes was in there waiting to plug up your carb...

Just out of curiosity, what technique did you use for shaking the tank with the hardware in it? Was it the "maracca" (over one shoulder for a while, then switch), the "NO" ( out in front, two handed, vigorously enough to make you shake your head up & down), or the "agitation" ( back and forth like you're dancing to an old Chubby Checker song) ?

And the pics are nice, but where's the video? :rofl2:
  • IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#29 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:50 AM

Wow, Will, that turned out fantastic. Imagine, all that gunk on the electrodes was in there waiting to plug up your carb...

Just out of curiosity, what technique did you use for shaking the tank with the hardware in it? Was it the "maracca" (over one shoulder for a while, then switch), the "NO" ( out in front, two handed, vigorously enough to make you shake your head up & down), or the "agitation" ( back and forth like you're dancing to an old Chubby Checker song) ?

And the pics are nice, but where's the video? :rofl2:

:iagree: That was funny!

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:54 AM

The rattle method I use has no name. It's a combination of the ones you described Alan, plus a few extra
moves. Most importantly, the counterclockwise swirl. There never will be a video of the rattle dance, as I do
it alone, behind closed doors, or late at night ouside in the dark. The nieghbors already think I'm nuts.

All in all, I'm happy with the outcome of the tank. It's all painted up, and ready to use.
  • KennyP and chris m have said thanks