• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Cain OFFLINE  

Dennis Cain

• Member No: 7974
  • 0 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 08:48 AM

If I want to run E 85 in my tractor what changes do I need to make ? Just alcohol carb and fuel pump ? Or is there more because it burns hotter like different spark plug or gap ?

#2 Endo OFFLINE  

Endo

• Member No: 8340
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 10:39 AM

See if I can help with this a little. Been playing with 2-strokes and ethanol a little lately. The two big things you have to worry about is compatibility (hoses, gaskets, float needle, and diaphragms), and BIGGER jets. I have had the rubber on the tips of float needles disintegrate, gaskets swell, and hose turn to jelly.

Ethanol has less BTU per volume than Gas so you have to run larger jetting. And it does run cooler, you may want to bump your plug one heat range.

One of the biggest benefits is you can run more advanced timing and higher compression and not worry about detonation. Ethanol has a higher octane rating. Not sure if that will be a benefit with the lower rpms and minimal advance on gt motors.

One of the big drawbacks is its affinity for water. Moisture and condensation go right into solution and reeks havoc on things.
  • mj1015 said thank you

#3 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 03:58 AM

I run alky on one of my pullers and had to rejet the carbs with stainless steel jets,change over to braided steel lines and e3 plugs.still have to change the oil after a weekend of pulling cause the alky being thin,some always ends up in the oil,
  • wawcub47 said thank you

#4 jonsteffen OFFLINE  

jonsteffen

• Member No: 761
  • 4 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 12:44 AM

why not add a bottle of hear or gas drier if they make in i am not really sure