Garden Tractor Forums banner

My New Box Blade!

8K views 57 replies 22 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 ·
Checked Craigslist early this morning and found a box blade for sale. By 9:30AM it was mine and on the way home. It has a few issues, what used implement doesn't? I happy as all get out, and it's a nice birthday present to myself. Here's a few pics(same as the thread below).
Road surface Wood Asphalt Grass Rectangle

Got the Ford out and hooked it up. The pin hole for the sleeve hitch is too far forward, unable to take the slack out. No biggy, add a 1/4" piece in there and it will be fine. Had a small area that I could play in, it worked great.
Slope Asphalt Groundcover Bedrock Grassland

I plan to rework the teeth to get a better cut with them. And lower the cutting edge about a 1/2". Plus I plan to make a rear cutting edge for it. And it will be both sleeve and 3-point hitch. Been wanting one of these for a long time, wish it was a bit wider. But that is easy to fix. Might add an extra tooth then.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A-One,looks great Kenny.Like I said in the other thread,congratulations.

#6 ·
Chuck_050382 said:
Looks good Kenny,

Looks like it just barely covers your tracks.
A few mods are in order, starting with these:
Output device Computer monitor accessory Communication Device Rectangle Gadget

Think that may tear up the ground a bit better. Won't take to much to widen it, like to get 4'. Add one more tooth, so it has 6 across. Add 3-point to it, so it has both.

Attachments

#7 ·
MH81 said:
Looks to be near-on bullet proof. I think that will do you a great job Kenny.
Sure built stouter than a new one.

Congrats!
I think it was well worth the $100 to get it.

#9 ·
Chuck_050382 said:
Looks like it just barely covers your tracks.
Hummmm. Sounds Like he has something to hide. LOL

Reactions: MH81 and KennyP
#15 ·
Nice buy on the box blade Kenny! It looks as tough as the Ford does, your weights turned out pretty good. And it looks like I owe you a belated birthday, you share it with our first grandson, 12 years old today, WOW. But now that I know that detail I will never forget yours when his rolls back around, hope you had a good day!

Reactions: KennyP
#17 ·
Help! Going to rework the teeth on this. I posted a pic earlier, but that angle may be a bit aggressive. Could use a bit of feed back
. Wood Rectangle Fixture Door Wall

First pic is how they are now. #2 is what I thought, but looks pretty steep. #3 is what I cut. Not nearly as steep. Think that would break ground better than #2?

Attachments

#20 ·
I'm not worried about width, right now. I'll probably widen it later this spring.

#21 ·
Think I answered my own question. Found this at TSC:
Tool Font Office supplies Musical instrument accessory Auto part

Angle of the cutting edge is 125 degrees+/-. I'll make something work.

Attachments

#22 ·
Happy Birthday Kenny and congrats on the nice Box blade. That is really well built. I'm wondering if it is a very nicely done home built unit. I've never seen one that strong from a factory. The new Agri Fab BB probably has less than half the metal in it.

Reactions: KennyP
#24 ·
Changed the design of the teeth. Take a bit more work to do, but should make good cutting edges for these. Plus it matches better to the tooth in post #21.
Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel Font Electric blue

Hopefully, this will break up the ground better. I also took the cutting edge off the back of the blade and lowered it about 5/8". Didn't take a pic of that yet.

Attachments

#26 ·
The drawings help folks understand better. And they point out problems. The fun part will be when I widen it. I'm going to add 4" to each side. Need to gather the materials together for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.