14 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Good morning. I've posted a couple pics of a counter weight off a mid '60s or early '70s front counter weight for an Allis Chalmers or Simplicity tractor. As you can see I mounted it on my JD for rear counter weight but I just picked up wheel weights and no longer need it. I haven't seen a lot of these on line so I don't know how rare (or not) they are. I'm looking at selling it so I can free up some money for another project on my JD. Anyone know what these weights run for on Craigslist or other sites? Thanks.

Matthew

1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:41 AM

At first I thought that was a front weight off a walk behind, until I saw the linkage to the lift handle.
Kinda neat piece, Hope someone has a $ idea for you.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've never seen one before. I'm sure someone into those tractors will have some info.

#4 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 1,162 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 05:22 PM

here is a pic of one

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:46 PM

new restorer, Thanks for showing a pic of a front counter weight on the walk behind. I can see how they look nearly identical except for the "arm". Thanks.

here is a pic of one[ATTACH=CONFIG]29137[/ATTACH]

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 05:59 AM

I keep looking at this weight. Then I get to thinking. (That can go either way) I have about 50 lbs of lead left and several sections of pipe to put it in. HMMMMMMMM?

#7 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 10:20 AM

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

One recently sold on Ebay for $90.00. It was all cleaned up.

They are a counter weight for easing lifting of rear mounted attachments. You connect the lift rod to the right side lift. Tiller goes up, weight goes down.

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 07:02 PM

timflury,

Thanks for the link. Now you've got me thinking, should I clean mine up or leave it original. What would be most desirable to a buyer? I appreciate the info about what it's used for.

Matthew

#9 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 07:05 PM

KennyP,

You thinking of making one of these? Do you want actual weight and dimensions? I'd be happy to send measurements if you'd like.

Matthew

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 07:48 PM

I have a very simaler set of weights for my broadmoor. There is a front weight that just hangs and swings some, and a rear weight that is fixed in place. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow for everybody.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:43 AM

KennyP,

You thinking of making one of these? Do you want actual weight and dimensions? I'd be happy to send measurements if you'd like.

Matthew

I was just thinking I could melt the lead, pour it into the pipe, and make some sort of attachment system to use where ever. Maybe to hang on the box blade or the Sears rear blade I have. Just a little extra weight to make it cut better. It would be compact weight.
Thanks for the offer, my dimensions will depend on how much lead goes into the pipe. I don't have a two wheel tractor.

#12 timflury OFFLINE  

timflury

• Member No: 7707
  • 6 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have a very simaler set of weights for my broadmoor. There is a front weight that just hangs and swings some, and a rear weight that is fixed in place. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow for everybody.

The front weights for the small frame Simplicities are extremely rare and desireable. Especially if there are rear mounted attachments like a revitalizer and a tiller in your shed.

They are needed to aid in steering when the attachment is lifted.

As far as selling the front counterweight, I plan on selling mine soon and it will be sold in bare metal, ready for you to paint any color of your choice.

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 09:54 PM

timflury,

Thanks for the added info. I think I'll follow suit but prime mine with an high quality etching primer. Let me know where you post yours so I can follow your progress. Thanks again.

Matthew

#14 Dee OFFLINE  

Dee

• Member No: 1853
  • 37 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 01:38 PM

To anyone looking to sell their front counter weight, I am looking to buy one. Please contact me, thanks.

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 11:52 AM

Moosetales,

Personally, I'd leave it in it's original color. This tells the buyer that it's original and not refab'd. I know when I'm looking to buy rare and unique items, I always look at pieces that have the original paint on them, and usually pass on the repainted or primed pieces, due to so many people now days reproducing parts, and trying to pass them as original items. I might be a little anal, but if I'm spending the money on something that is listed as original, then it better be original when it arrives, or when I pick it up. Original paint really tells a lot to a collector, and I'd be willing to bet, that you're piece, as is right now, would sell for more than the one painted black, on ebay that you posted.

Just my two cents worth, you do what you want.