#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Each piece is wetted (Gorilla glue cures best with moisture) glued and stacked ready to press. A little then squaring up the pieces, then full stroke. Clamp off and go for a cold one.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1310102.jpg
  • P1310103.jpg
  • P1310104.jpg
  • P1310105.jpg
  • P1310106.jpg
  • P1310107.jpg

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 12:31 PM

Very nice bridges and thanks for sharing the photos of your clamping system for the arches.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#18 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 02:37 PM

That's some nice work! and I love to work with Cedar The Western REd seems to be the easiest to get around Des Moines. I've made some nice picture frames from Western Red decking.
I'm very interested in seeing how you do the glue up on the arches. The wife has been after me to build some arbors for her roses. And laminated arches would look good and be a fun project.
And I have a ditch running through my property with about 1 1/2 acres on the east side that I keep mowed like a lawn. I do have a driveway on the south end but the culvert is washing out. I'll fix that but would like to build a bridge on the north end, so I can get my GT across up there. There is an old well over there and I'd like to get it into production to water my Garden, so I'm not ecalating my water bill from the county's supply.

Any cedar species is a little tough unless there's a mill nearby. All mine are either Eastern (aromatic) or self-treated/painted SY pine. The western we have here is usually 1x material and it a little tough to work with due to splitting etc. I also think Western isn't as strong-not positive- you might check it. I refuse to use any commercial "treated" pine. If I have to, I will treat during and post construction with Spectricide Terminate.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 03:01 PM

A masseuse table I bought at auction. My 1st vertical. I had orders coming 5 at a time= need lots of space-Wheels from a lawn mower. The stop forms (for front and rear) are 1/4 x 2 flat.

I'm grateful for your interest, so I ran to Lowes for a 2x8-8 to show it "in action". My cedar guy is 70 miles so its got to be SY pine.

Wow! I never expected you to do a demonstration. But your effort is much apreciated!! That is a slick fixture.
I probably spend too much time in church studying the laminated arches in the sanctuary, when I should be listening.
Lamination interests me.
Your right Cedar is tricky to work with, due to it being relatively soft and not impact resistant. And it splits and chips easily, if tools are not scary sharp. But then that's what makes woodworking enjoyable, finding the methods that adapt woods characteristics to fit your purpose.
My wife makes Intarsia(pictures using wood shapes, grain patterns and depth to depict scenes) She is very good at it, but it's too much like jig saw puzzles to suit me. I make all the frames for her. I use 5/4 decking plank Western Red, ripped and shaped since most of her work is up to 3/4" thick I need the depth for the frames.

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm proud of the results after having some learning screw-ups on some earlier pieces.:D I've never had a failure that left the shop and in 4 years there's been many a kid on a bicycle go across them.

One item not visable in the pics is that NO nails were ever used only screws and bolts.

I'll help anyone wanting to build with a lot of tricks I've learned-Too many to list here. To build one for home you won't need a special jig, but wooden bucks need to be @#$% heavy. They are quite easy to build. It actually took me longer to upload/take pics and run to Lowes, than it did to rip/glue and set the jig. The first few I built took about 3 weeks each. Today, I can build about 3/week.

Here is an update --2hrs after clamp-up. The squeeze out begins quickly, but by waiting about 2hrs for it to skin over, a paint scraper cleans most off easily. Lots of folks like TiteBond etc. I used them all-even 2-part fiberglass resin.-IMO nothing beats the Gorilla.

Here's the latest arch pic and some other stuff I've built.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2010109.jpg
  • 1000314.jpg
  • 1000350.jpg

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks for showing us all how you make the arches ,you do fantastic work , Al
:worshippy1:

#22 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing the photos.

#23 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 01:46 PM

very nice, i can see how it would make momma happy

#24 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Wow.. nice work..  Thanks for sharing your pictures..