#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 10:34 PM

GE 006.jpg

Ok, so I lucked out and aquired a sleeve hitch and some implements including what I assume is a 10 inch Brinly plow. I tried hooking things up, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I've read about how to level the plow, and I know I need to turn the rear wheels to the inside. I'm not sure the sleeve hitch is set up properly. It doesn't seem to have enough travel. I'm posting some pics and would appreciate any feedback.

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 010.jpg
  • GE 011.jpg
  • GE 009.jpg
  • GE 007.jpg
  • GE 008.jpg

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 11:28 PM

That looks about right. There isn't a ton of motion at the hitch, but by the Tim you get to the end of the plow, it's enough.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm asking because the plow point pretty much drags on the ground when I'm hauling hard on the handle. Also, I'm not sure if the hitch is letting the plow drop far enough either. Sort of "worst of both worlds". Also, going by the manual, it looks like I need to set up another hitch point set a few inches to the right on the sleeve hitch. According to the manual, the 10 can't be adjusted far enough to the right if the wheel tread is wider than 24 inches.
I have to say, WOW WHAT A RUSH it was to drop that plow and drive down the garden! Even though I could tell things weren't right. "A bad day tractor driving is better than a good day at work!"

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 11:54 PM

I think the measurement is insides of the rear tires. Try measuring ID and setting it up again.

I think there are 2 positions on the bottom of the lift handle that the rod can go into. Make sure you're in the bottom one.
Having the point tipped down to far will cause this. Do the setup with the blocking and youll have it right.

Ryan has about an inch under the point of his on flat ground. He knows when he's on uneven terrain, to go back & fill in the divots tho :D

Also don't forget about the land side adjustment after you get your width all set up, makes pulling it easier if it's tuned up for your tractor.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Thankx a bunch for the pics. It helps me with those parts my 12 is missing.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 08:33 AM

Congrats on the find....sure would love to find one that was reasonably priced for my 10!! Good job!

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yep, it looks like you need to raise the lifting bar up so you pin is in the bottom hole.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Ok, I had some time today to resume adjusting the plow and the sleeve hitch. First, I moved the lifting link up so the pin was in the lowest hole. I also used the three holes in the mount at the base of the sleeve hitch to "twist" the hitch with respect to the tractor. The one picture shows using the lowest hole on the left of the hitch and the highest hole on the right. I decided that twisted the plow too far, so dropped back to lowest hole on left, middle hole on right. I also re-read the Brinly plow manual and did some measuring and found that I was actually not taking a large enough cut. I flipped the yoke and moved the plow so I was taking a 10 inch bite instead of 8 inch. I moved the coulter wheel up as it looked like it was too deep. It looks like the plow is riding just about right, I think it is cutting between 5 and 6 inches deep.

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 02.03.12 004.jpg
  • MF 02.03.12 003.jpg
  • MF 02.03.12 005.jpg
  • MF 02.03.12 006.jpg
  • MF 02.03.12 007.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Just a note here, the Massey I'm using is the 12 Hydro I rescued from the dump. I repowered with a 15 HP Predator and fixed some transmission leaks. It pulled this plow very well, until the very last row. For some reason, on the last row, the belt began slipping on the pulley. Other than that, things went very well. Some wheel slippage, but I suspect that ballast will correct that as it would stop spinning when I would lean toward that side. I already put windsheild washer fluid in the front tires as they were light whenever I pulled up on the plow. BTW, I've never used washer fluid before. The tires are tubeless, will the washer fluid corrode the rims? Also, I installed a battery and hooked up the electric start system on this engine. Pull starting is OK, but electric start is BETTER.

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sleeve hitch question. Why does the hitch stick out so far? Anyone ever shorten one? It would move the weight of the implement closer to the pivot point and generally make life a little easier.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sleeve hitch question. Why does the hitch stick out so far? Anyone ever shorten one? It would move the weight of the implement closer to the pivot point and generally make life a little easier.

It would also move your lift point closer to the pivot. this would raise the plow higher, but you would loose some mechanical advantage. Also, there are some implements that might be a little closer to the tires than you'd want.

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I would expect to move the lift attachment point if I moved the pivot point to retain similar mechanical advantage.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 05:23 PM

I suppose you could drill a hole where you think you might want to try it. Might weaken it a little there, but at least you could move it back & weld the holes shut...

On Ryan's, he was having a little trouble lifting (110# soaking wet) so, I put a lift assist spring from the bottom of the lift arm to whatever I could find to hook to. Made a big difference for him.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 11, 2012 - 03:21 PM

"For some reason, on the last row, the belt began slipping on the pulley"

Kinda red-faced about this one. This tractor has a parking brake that keeps the tension pulley from holding the belt tight on the hydradrive. I put the parking brake on and then started driving. Apparently this linkage needs some major adjustment, if I can plow with the parking brake on.

Howard

#15 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 09:13 PM

I don't think i would alter sleeve hitch.When i have the brinly disc on the back of mine it actual swings in and hits my tires.It would also help me if the disc had the wider hitch.Mine has the narrow mount so it flops around alot.