johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:09 PM

Gentleman,

Come Spring, I'm looking to customize a set of round fender garden tractors into a set of patio tractors. If any of you guys have Patio tractors, can you please post some pictures. I'm looking for as many details as I can, so that I can paint my parts accordingly. I never liked the patio tractors, but since round fenders are what my collection consists of, I want to do something a little different. Don't know why, I just want to see how they will turn out. I have never seen anybody else try this, so I will. Worst case, I repaint them back to green and yellow. No harm done.

I KNOW THERE WAS NEVER ANY PATIO ROUND FENDERS!

This is for my own collection, and they are for my own preference. I'm not looking to pass these off as originals, or to try and sell them as authentic Patio tractors. Some guys cut and rebuild tractors to be different, but since I can't bring myself to modifying a frame, cutting a hood or frame, swapping bigger motors, or fabricating a tractor to make it look like something completely different, then this will be my way of "customizing".

Other than hood and seat colors, I know that the only other differences were, that early years had white motors and gas tanks, where-as, later years had black motors and gas tanks. Was anything else painted different that I may not be aware of. Oh, and the gear shift cover, steering column, and seat springs were black as well. Anything else?

Thanks for the help, to those that can. I appreciate any detail pictures that I can get.
  • VintageIronCollector said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Troy, As far as I know, 1969 was the only year that had White engines. One thing I don't know is if the Differential was painted White or left silver?

BTW, I think the RF will look Great in Custom Colors!!!!
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:31 PM

From what i know and all i have seen everything was dawgwood white execpt the hood and seat which was the red or so on.The seat springs,steering column,grill,and on the later ones the motor and gas tank was black.And all the knobs were ther origanl color as all of them

#4 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Straight from WFM's Model Info section "Custom Colors"

John Deere Custom Color Lawn and Garden Tractors

During the 1969 model year, John Deere introduced the Custom Color series of lawn and garden tractors and attachments. Collectors often referred to this equipment as "Patio Models". In 1969, the models offered in Custom Colors were the 110, 112, and 140. The Model 120 was added to this list the following year in 1970. The marketing group at John Deere Horicon Works felt that not all of their customers wanted a green garden tractor, and so by offering a variety of colors, sales of lawn tractors would increase. These Custom Color lawn and garden tractors were painted entirely in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat. The hood and seat were offered in one of four colors: Patio Red, Sunset Orange, April Yellow, and Spruce Blue. These colors matched those of John Deere’s popular competitors. Tractors were shipped minus the hood and seat; the dealer would then install the colored hood and seat of choice.
All the attachments were painted Dogwood White to match the garden tractors. Some of these attachments included the #80 Cart, #37A and #49 Snow throwers, #31 and #33 Tillers, #43 and #54 Front Blades, #5A Sprayers, and of course all models of the mower decks including the #39, #47, #41, and #48.
Originally when they were released in 1969 the entire tractor was painted in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat, of course. This included such things as the engine, fuel tank, mower deck attachment linkage, and the mule drive on certain models. John Deere found that the white paint on the engine had a tendency to stain. Also this meant that more parts had to be painted separately. So, for 1970, black paint was used on the engine, fuel tank, mower attachment linkages and some other items. This way these parts could be used on both the custom color and the green lawn and garden tractors without separate painting being done. Even though the engine on the Custom Color 140 was changed to black in 1970, the air cleaner cover remained in white. The seat base is unique to Custom Colored tractors in that it is textured and not smooth like the green tractors.
Also when these models were released in 1969 the type number for the green and Custom Color versions was the same on the serial number plate. Later this was changed so that a unique type number was used for the Custom Color tractors.
It didn’t take long for John Deere’s Marketing Group to find out that customers buying John Deere garden tractors wanted a green tractor and not one of a different color. Sales of the Custom Color tractors were disappointing and in the 1971 model year, production of the custom color tractors ceased. Dealers repainted many of the tractors and hoods green to get them sold. Many of the seats were used to make parts counter stools, were given away, or they ended up laying around on dealer parts shelves for years waiting to be picked up by collectors. The yellow seats, of course, were used on the green tractors and the first to be used. Because of this, yellow is probably the hardest color of seat to find.
The Ertl Toy Co. of Dyersville, Iowa made a matching set of 1/16th scale Custom Colored garden tractors to match the real ones. These 1:16 scale toys were offered in the four colors and a matching Dogwood White lawn trailer was also available. These toys were offered in a "Dealer Display" box and are highly sought after by toy and garden tractor collectors alike.
Today the Custom Color or patio garden tractors that John Deere made have become highly collectible. Due to the fact that they sold poorly when new, they are somewhat more difficult to find than their green counterparts. Many have been found wearing the familiar green and yellow paint, so be sure to examine the type codes. Many collectors consider the Custom Color 120 the most difficult to find, and there is much debate surrounding which of the colors is the most rare. Many of the attachments other than the mower decks are among the hardest to find of John Deere factory attachments.
Below is the list of the Dupont Centari paint codes and a listing of custom color type numbers.
Starmist White 59373
Lemans Blue Metallic 5030
Sunset Orange 60659
Fleet Red 2622
Fleet Yellow 23820
Custom Tractor Type codes for 1970 and 1971 models only, as the 1969 models are the same as the green ones.

110 T0642M, T0648M 112 T0654M, T0655M, T0656M, T0658M 120 T0572M 140 T0582M, T0584M
Summary by Dave Borkowski, 08/07/2002
  • dstaggs, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 7 others have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:08 AM

That's great info, thanks for sharing it with us.

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the info Terry! That will help a lot. I wasn't sure about the air cleaner color, but you have provided what I needed. One thing that I don't understand though, and that is, using the two legged deer decal on the light bezel of '69 patio tractors, but yet they used the four legged deer steering wheel cap. Only on 1970 and 1971 tractors, did they use the two legged deer on both items. Is this correct, or am I seeing all 1969 patio tractors, with replacement head light bezels. Did the '69 patio's have four legged deer bezels?

I have been trying out different techniques, and I think I finally figured out how to get the textured appearance on the bottom side of the pan seat. If you paint the metal while it's cold, the paint will eventually start to crackle. After a few times of wet sanding, the final appearance looks just like the original textured backs of the patio seats.

I'm also going to my local decal guy, to see how much it will cost, to get all of the green and yellow decals converted to black and silver. Same as the hood decals, by getting them made just like the round fender decals, but changing them to black and silver, and eliminating the 110/112 numbers. I think I'm going to make the standard 110 and 112, with manual lifts, and then make a 120 out of a 110 with hydraulic lift, and a 140 out of a 112 with hydraulic lift. I figure I'll represent the 1969 model year with the manual lift tractors, and the '70 & '71 model years with the hydraulic lift models.

I'm not going to spend the money in making them dogwood white, or authentic blue, red, orange, or yellow, since these are just replicas. I'm just going to paint them as close as possible, and be happy with how they turn out. I'm really excited about this project, as it has been about two years since my last restoration project. Figure I'll do all four tractors at the same time, since they will be basically the same, other than some color changes. I'm anxious for Spring to get here.

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 01, 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#7 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:46 PM

im not sure what all you will need but i have a white mower deck on the 112 i got this winter that i am not going to need . its on a 71 if i recall and if everything works out ill be in PA. for the plow days and i can bring it along if your interested .

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Gary, but I'm not looking to buy any implements. I'm just looking to get all the painting details, so I can paint my round fenders to match the patio flat fenders. At this point and time, I'm just going to paint the tractors. Haven't even thought about want attachments I want to use yet. Thanks anyway, and if I change my mind, I'll give you a call.

#9 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:04 PM

im sure ill still have it standing in the shop with the others .

#10 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hey Troy, Sounds like a neat project. As to answer some of your questions. Well from some of the things that I have found is that on my 69 110 is that yes a white engine and air cleaner , black grill black seat springs. The gear shift is black also is this original don't know have seen them both ways. In some of the first sales lit. it show the seat springs and the pan of the seat painted white. I have yet to see an original custom color seat pan in white. As for the head light bezel the one that was on my 69 110 had the four legged deer on it and had the four legged deer steering wheel cap. I have seen them both ways like what you have stated. What I think is that in 69 was when they was changing from the four to two legged deer and they was using up the left over parts. On my 69 140 it has the white engine with white air cleaner , black seat springs and the hydro is silver like the green ones are. On to my 70 and 71 110 Custom Color Tractors, the engines,seat springs and gas tank are black and so is the air cleaner. The head light bezel and the steering wheel have the two legged deer on them. I am pretty sure that the air cleaners on the 120 and 140 stayed white though.

I hope I have not confused you anymore this is just some of the things I have came across. Some will have other opinions and they maybe right but this is what I have come up with.

Mark

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:43 PM

[attachment=24871:24137.attach]

I found these pictures of Dad's 112 patio tractors, that he sold at his sale last Summer. I didn't even realize I had them. I remember the Blue and Yellow ones where 1969's, and I can see that the transmissions, seat brackets, gas tanks, and motors were all white. And on the 1970 Red and Orange tractors, these items were changed to black. You guys were right, and I Thank you all, for the guided help!

TMO - One thing I still don't know about for sure is, when John Deere started changing the miscellaneous items from white to black, were the transmissions painted black, or just the shifter? The above Patio tractors were supposedly original tractors, that Dad bought from a guy, who had taken very good care of them, and supposedly never had them painted or even touched up in any way. (I beg to differ) The Orange tractor was used the most by the previous owner, and as you can see by the hood and seat, it got some abuse. Fortunately, the previous owner also bought a new orange seat and hood, and had them stored away, just in case he every decided to sell the tractor. Dad got the extra seat and hood, but never converted them back onto the tractor, so they sold separately at the sale. It appears that the 1970 Orange tractor, has white hubs, but the shifter is black. Do you know if the tranny should be black or white, and if black, should the hubs be painted white to match the rest of the wheel? Other than this, I should have all my questions answered, and ready to start my round fender patio's when the weather changes.

Edited by johndeereelfman, February 04, 2012 - 09:21 PM.

• dstaggs, JDBrian and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#12 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Troy cant help on colors, But cant wait to see the Finished GTs as you always do such great work. The pictures of your dads are great. Hurry Can't Wait.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Wow Troy, that was a beautiful collection of Patio tractors. Thanks for the pictures. Good luck on your latest project.

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 12:53 PM

[attachment=24966:24218.attach]
Thanks Brian,
Dad actually had six Patio tractors, and Mom had one, for a total of seven. These six were the ones sold at the sale last Summer. Mom's '70 Red and White 112H was willed to my nephew before the sale. I believe the green one above, which was originally an Orange and White, fellow member ckjakline (Craig) bought.
[attachment=24965:24217.attach]
Here is the '67 Allis Chalmers B-10 that was also sold at the sale. This was my great uncle's tractor, and other than repainting the wheels, weights, and re-upolstering the seat, this tractor was completely original. It sold for $2,350.00! We couldn't believe how much this tractor went for. This was the only tractor that brought a high dollar amount.

#15 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 02:30 PM

Troy,
1970 was when they started to go with the black. The tranny and hub should be white. 70 and 71 gear shift should be black.

Mark