• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 02:15 PM

There is not enough money in the world that would entice me to do this..................EVER!!!!

Light bulb changer

Hang on to your lunch while watching this....
Yikes!!! I wonder what they pay this guy per hour.
1,768 feet straight up ... wait until you see this!
It is incredible what people do for a living!!!!!!!!!!

Just wait for the cartoon intro to finish, then hold on to your seat.
www..liveleak.com/e/07b_1284580365

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 02:29 PM

No way,no how,would I ever do that.Not for 50 million dollars.And I don't consider myself scared of heights either.

I thought they must have been going to change a light on the Space Station.:D

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 02:33 PM

I fly all the time and don't think a thing about those height, BUT, you would never get me on one of those towers. That is just nuts!
Thanks for the link.

#4 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 02:33 PM

I can't even watch that without my hands sweating.
He said that there is no quick way down if there was to be lightning in the area. That's arguable - I can think of one way.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Not bothered by the height at all. I work up in the air on overhead cranes. That being said, I used to work for a sign company and those towers MOVE with the wind! That's the scary part! The highest I've ever been is 110 feet on a 10' X 20' sign (only about 2' thick though) it was a mildly breezy day and the top end of the sign was moving about 3' feet back and forth. I nearly soiled myself! The tower might not be so bad as a sign with all that surface area. I might give it a try, but they'd sure have to pay handsomely!

#6 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Those guys are crazy.Twice a year i climb my granfathers grain elevator to replace grease cartridges and belts.Thats onle 70 feet up though.It's always windy up there also.My cousin took me up on a big man lift max lift was 80 ft.Never again.We took it strait up to take pictures of his annual tractor show from the air.It was a breezy day and the whole time we were up there the beem and basket were swaying back and forth.It's not as bad when your around buildings.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Used to install TV antenna towers and install antennas on existing ones. Highest I ever was up was just shy of 100ft. Wind and changing the antenna made being up that high unpleasant. After that day, I told my boss if they were taller than 50, he could go.

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'd bring a parachute, not scared of hights either but that is just plain nuts just to stand there on top like that, wind blows too hard and off you go, hench the parachute thought.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:34 PM

He said that there is no quick way down if there was to be lightning in the area. That's arguable - I can think of one way.

:ditto: Just watching increased my pucker fact by 10. Yes I do not like heights. When I was in the Navy in the early years we would have to go up on the flight deck and take the rear turtle back off an airplane with the tail sticking out over the water. you were about 40 -50 ft up and I use to hate that. I was so glad when I gained enough rank to tell someone else to go do it.

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:48 PM

Not for all the gold in Fort Knox but then that guy probably would not do things the rest of us do each day.

My youngest son works on the derrick of drilling and service oil rigs at up to 110 feet, when they are pulling 20 tons of drill pipe he says the top of the rig will swing up to 8 feet and I don't believe I would enjoy that much either.

Bill

#11 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 10:43 PM

:ditto: Just watching increased my pucker fact by 10. Yes I do not like heights. When I was in the Navy in the early years we would have to go up on the flight deck and take the rear turtle back off an airplane with the tail sticking out over the water. you were about 40 -50 ft up and I use to hate that. I was so glad when I gained enough rank to tell someone else to go do it.

RHIP didn't it Bill???

You guys are right, I cant even watch that without the heebie jeebies setting in. Like mot of the rest of the guys said in this thread: NO WAY

#12 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 09:29 AM

I worked as an industrial electrician and a lot of our work was at feedmills and granerys. 2-300 feet wasn't too bad. The stuff they are doing-NO WAY!!!
You realize how good of shape these guys are in? At only 55 I have a hard time hitting 100' at one time without a break, I couldn't imagine being able to climb almost 1800 at all, even taking breaks. Doing stuff like that is why there are helicopters.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Whoa! Just watching that made me a bit queazy. Whatever those guys get payed they are earning it. Thats over 1/4 mile straight up. You would have to be in good shape. It's like climbing 170 stories carrying your tools. The part where he was almost to the antenna and climbing up the side of the last section was what bothered me most. Somehow having the tower or mast in the centre looked less scary. No thanks, not for me!

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Showed this video to the wife. You should have seen her squirm. :smile1: To be honest I'm still squirming myself.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 02:33 PM

I wouldn't matter how much money, even if it were a BILLION dollars, to change that bulb. I wouldn't turn it down mind you, it's just that there's no way I could do it. I'd pass out before I got 200'! And I'd still be in the elevator!