• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 12:21 AM

Good evening. I'm new to the tractor world so this thread will be an easy one (I expect) for all you seasoned tractor aficionados out there. I've run into two dilemmas:

#1--While working to attach my new reverse light I came across a mystery wire behind my console. Any guesses as to what this goes to?

#2--Shortly after acquiring my '74 JD 110 I realized the wheels needed a good cleaning. In the process I noticed that the valve stems on the front tires were on the inside. Being the novice I immediately passed judgement on the previous owner as being misguided; I promptly cleaned, greased and re-installed the wheels only to then be surfing the web and found that many JD tractors had indeed the same ailment as mine had. So, my quandary persists...What is the "proper" positioning for the valve stems on the front tires and what are the pros and cons of both options?

Before Before After

Well, there you have it. I hope this takes some of you back to the days you purchased your first tractor and everything was a mystery. Thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • 1.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 12:29 AM

Matthew, The wire is for an accessory, like a cigarette lighter or for ele. clutch.. Valve stems are to the inside so you don't knock them out of the wheel when you rub up against something, just added protection inside the wheel. I hope this helps.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Matthew, that yellow wire may be for a rear or tail lighting option. On my 314 I think the yellow wire was for the rear lighting option. You can check by seeing if voltage is on the wire when the light switch is on.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:16 PM

On every original Wheel Horse I've ever seen, the rear tire have the valve stems on the inside. It's a real PITA if you have a slow leak and have to air them up regularly, but I believe that it does prevent them from getting damaged during use.

#5 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:30 PM

The rear wheels can be either or.Most wheels have more offset on one side so you can flip your wheels to give it more stability on hills with the wider stance.Fronts should have valve stem on inside do to turning and possibility on knocking stem off.

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thanks guys, I guess come warmer weather I know what one of my first projects will be....reversing my front wheels.

#7 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 247 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I agree with ckjakline above. Years ago when I bought my JD 140, it came with the wheels reversed, definately to widen the stance. I bought it at a farm auction, and I'm sure they used the tractor to mow the ditches, etc. It also had fluid in the rear tires for traction.