21 replies to this topic

#16 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted June 21, 2010 - 04:09 PM

Safety asside, remember most engines dont like being tilted, oil starvation can be a problem if the engine is at too much of an angle so it's best to be safe and check your oil levels beforehand.

#17 shallowwatersailor OFFLINE  

shallowwatersailor

Tractorholic

• Member No: 812
  • 87 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 07:44 AM

Maybe Garden Tractors should have ROPS. It would raise prices, and maybe the liability issue. Just a thought. I have to admit, for example, a little MTD or JD 100 at Home Depot would look "different."

John

#18 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted July 12, 2010 - 05:41 PM

One of the problems I would have with ROPS on my mowing tractor would be getting under my maple tree branches. Thinking about it reminds me of a accident that happened about 30 years ago near my Grandfathers home in Lockport NY. A woman was mowing with a garden tractor that someone had added a bucket seat from a car to. She mistakenly got to close to one of her trees and was pinned between a large branch and the high back of the bucket seat. She wasn't able to push the clutch and was crushed to death.

#19 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 13, 2010 - 04:00 PM

I knew of a guy who had a grey fergie with a roll bar fitted, it slipped his mind that it was in the up position and drove into his shed..the bar hit the concrete lintle and knocked it down... and of course he was directly underneath it. To be honest though it's better to have one than not, large tractor anyway, not sure its really needed on small GT as long as you know it's limits.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 08:37 AM

My Dad's front bank is like that, we ride what we can and the rest is push-mow. It'll have to be weed-eater in a few years when his 2-cycle lawnboy gives up, still mad at them for not making 2 cycle anymore.

#21 kingkw OFFLINE  

kingkw

• Contributor
  • Member No: 887
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 07:49 PM

We had a meteorologist from the area that lost her husband a couple of years ago in a mowing accident. I hope that either this guy knows what he’s doing (not likely since he is attached to the fence) or someone stops him, before it’s too late.

#22 4mer farm kid OFFLINE  

4mer farm kid

• Member No: 924
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 27, 2010 - 04:17 PM

I have many slopes and hills on my property. I prefer my JD GT235 with wheel weights on the slopes. I also have a JD 318 and an eXmark zero turn, neither one of these does near as well as my GT235. The eXmark has taken me on some "interesting" down hill excursions when it would lose traction. Ever see someone drift on a lawn mower? Not fun if your not ready for it. :booboo: