• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:36 PM

yeah and he had a "rat" hood ornament made out of a circular saw blade cut in half and some other pieces welded on it to make it look like a rat head. Truly was a "rat rod"

Oh another one I've done a few times over the years...aluminum pop can cut up and used for shims on exhaust pipes, bearings, or whatever, etc. Or just a exhaust pipe hole repair, little mechanics wire to hold it on and perfect

:rocker2:

and don't forget coat hangers, they will outlast a standard muffler hanger any day

make great filler rod when used with oxyacetylene tanks too...

#62 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:22 AM

I admit that years back I was quite the pack rat but I shed a lot of that off to my son when we bout our house a decade ago..  Turned out that I knew I had something but couldn't find the dang thing until I bought another one!   :wallbanging:   Old belts & hoses and misc car parts everywhere as I worked on them I kept pretty much everything that was re-taskable..  I had many buckets of nuts and bolts for the old cars and trucks but it became outdated when Metric came on to the scene!  I usually don't 'dumpster dive' but if I see something sitting on the side of the road with a FREE sign-  It got a look-see!  Lots of times it followed me home to be dismantled and stored.  Tools-  as I've worked on many different types of machinery and appliances I've needed 'specialty' tools..  I'm too cheap to buy the tool in many cases just to fix one thing then have a useless tool forever!  I've fabricated many tools out of old junk and they work just fine!  It's amazing what you can make with a die grinder and a set of torches!  I can't begin to remember all of the cobbled up tools I've made, used and remade into something else usable..  I just examine what the tool needs to do, measure and search for a suitable donor & build away!  I've never bought a brand new car or tractor in my life!  I enjoy fixing up the old junk I can get my hands on at the time cheap!  Now as I'm moving on in years I don't have the desire to mess around so much and I'll buy much more than I used to as far as parts for things..  But there still is always a cheaper way to do that!  Whenever I need any new part I'll get the part number and do searches and find the lowest price and shipping amount!  It's amazing how much $$ you can save by just sifting through the myriad of results from a google search!  I've been lucky with CL & EB as well..  The old eyes are always looking for the next deal!   :dancingbanana:  :D

• Alc said thank you

#63 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted May 22, 2013 - 01:41 AM

after breaking a tooth on the ring gear of my bike i found out a new set would be over 350 dollars, the pinion was fine and the rest of the ring gear was in good shape too. After thinking that i couldnt really break them more than they where i decided to weld up the missing tooth with a tool steel rod i then profiled it with a die grinder. That was 4 months ago and its still on the road!
attachicon.gif23902.attach

I had the same issue with an old Ford 9" rear end on my old car..  A pinion bearing blew and the parts rambled around the pumpkin making all sorts of ungodly noises..  I removed the gears and they had some chipping and little breaks in the teeth but nothing too serious..  I got the die grinder out and smoothed the cracked areas up and put it back together!  Never had another problem with the rear end!!  Now the tranny was a different story..  I think I went through 3 more after that..  I also couldn't keep good tires on the right rear for some reason?  What else were ya gonna do when you were 18 years old??   :smilewink: