62 replies to this topic

#46 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Have you ever noticed that frugal is often spelled pack rat?

Two (of many, according to my wife) stories...

Wanted a set of forks for my big tractor,but baulked at paying $8-900.00 for them,and couldn't find what I needed used. So, I bought a worn out forklift at an equipment auction. It was an electric, and the batteries (not included) were shot (battery packs for some of these can go $1,500 or more..). Paid $500.00 for the forklift, all 7,000 lbs of it. Used the forks and carrier straight, used some of the steel from the mast parts to fab the frame, pulled and stored the hydraulics (packrat, remember...), and salvaged out the copper and electric motors. Then took the carcas (never even tried to get it off the trailer...) to the salvage yard and sold it as scrap. When all the dust had settled, after subtracting out the original price for the forklift, I had the forks (free!) for my tractor, the free hydraulics, and $100.00 cash from the salvage yard!

I lost the spiffy combination wrench for my chainsaw - wrench to loosen the carrier, screwdriver for chain tension, flat to open the oil/gas plugs. Instead of buying a new one, I converted an old cheap wrench that I had laying around - ground one side of the open end thin to fit the gas filler slot. Ground the other leg of the open end into a screwdriver to fit the tensioner, and kept the box end to fit the carrier nuts.

#47 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 11:37 PM

I save all my old nails, screws, bolts etc. and take them to the metal crusher when I go for the extra cash. I'm going to build an archaeologist's sieve to get the ones out of the fire pit too, but that has more to do with preserving tires than cash for old metal.

I built my garage and shed man-doors out of left over 1x6 instead of buying doors.

My front step is built out of left-over lumber. The entire design was based on me looking at the lumber I had.

I re-wired, one bit at a time, a stove and a dryer and was going to do it again before Mrs. Rev insisted on new ones.

I have darkroom sinks and tanks as a potting bench, a planter, and flower pots. They are made out of quality stainless steel, and I was actually paid to haul them away. My rain barrels are old photo chemical mixing tanks. I designed a fountain/water feature based on an old replenisher pump from a photo-finishing machine, but my wife, who I met in photography school, recognized that the spray pattern would be inappropriate and stopped me from building it. Good thing too...the neighbours may have run me out on a rail, and I wouldn't have known why.

Of the 20+ vehicles I've only owned, only two were made after I graduated from high school in 1982. I'd still be driving my 1981 3/4 ton, but the cops decided it was unsafe due to having a floor built out of old washing machine sides and spray-foam insulation.

My composter is made from old pallets.

I'm pretty sure it's genetic though. My grandfather had me disassemble an old combine when I was a kid. We saved every bolt and piece of angle iron, kept every possibly-useful mechanical part, and then sold the rest for scrap.

That's all I can think of for cheapness demonstration. A thread for laziness-induced proclivities might be in order though.

HA HA... you're totally from Winnipeg! (I'm from just outside Winnipeg) I'm sure I have a good story for this thread... i'll get thinking on that....

#48 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:01 PM

This is the camp porch broom. I think it is still good for several more years of service. lol What do you think?

IMG_2874.JPG
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#49 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:04 PM

This is the camp porch broom. I think it is still good for several more years of service. lol What do you think?

IMG_2874.JPG

Even after the broom part is gone, you have half a stickball set...
  • daytime dave and Delmar have said thanks

#50 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:28 PM

I used to have one just like that! I actually unraveled a couple of the rows of stitches to stretch it's life a little more!
  • daytime dave said thank you

#51 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted May 11, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I was out mushroom huntin a few years ago and came across a trash/junk pile that had looked like it had been there for several decades.  There was an old '30's or '40's pickup truck half buried-half gone in the pile.  I got the chrome wheel rims off of 2 wheels and they are still hanging in my garage.  You never know, I might need them some day. 

Edited by James henry, May 11, 2013 - 05:59 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#52 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I keep all nuts, bolts and screws when I take something apart. I try to keep anything that I think I could use on a project... It takes me forever to get a scrap pile big enough to haul off. My current yard cart was pulled out of a junk pile. I had a set of front wheels and tires off of an older mower that I took apart, put them on there and have been using it since.

HF welder carts look lik junk so I made my own. Found a walmart cart in a ditch one day, did some mod's and here it is:

Welder stand.jpg

• MH81 and Delmar have said thanks

#53 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 02:54 PM

HF welder carts look lik junk so I made my own. Found a walmart cart in a ditch one day, did some mod's and here it is:

attachicon.gifWelder stand.jpg

I have used grocery store carts for hauling around parts and tools at work for years....cheap transpo for my stuff I need when the contractor I am working for is too cheap to buy rubbermaid carts.   I never saw one modified before tho...that is a great idea!  I might use that.......

Edited by James henry, May 15, 2013 - 02:56 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#54 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 09:22 PM

yup... fix what I have because everything today is overpriced and designed never to be repaired but scrapped for yet another new "throw a way" version... I will never have a new truck or a new GT even if I win the Lottery....

I look for equip like what I have that is "suitable for parts" and stash what ever I can   my woods ZTR is a perfect example... spare splitter box, engine, fenders, sprockets, and more. I cant replace it with a new one for even $5K  so I will run it into the ground....

I drive a 20 year old Dakota  90 miles a day for work... if something breaks, I fix it.  not look to replace it.

I think even some of you guys would shake your heads with the popup camper project that I am neck deep into...

I am constantly on CL, stopping at garage sales or going to real auctions  

It seems  today's 20-30 year old "junk" is better than what can be bought in a store new even if it "needs a little work"

#55 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 19, 2013 - 10:29 PM

I've repaired several broken ear piece hinges on my glasses using heat shrink tubing with a piece of paperclip slipped in for added strength,also electric fence wire is really good for replacing lost or stripped out screws on eyeglasses.

• MH81 said thank you

#56 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 08:54 AM

I've made my own valve spring compressor for the OH16, no way I'm spendng the money. I've heated/bent  and cut off several wrenches to fit in places a regular one wouldn't.

I saw a rat rod at a car show this weekend, junk pars thrown together....the grill slats were all made from old chainsaw chains welded together, really cool.

100_0888.jpg

#57 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I saw a rat rod at a car show this weekend, junk pars thrown together....the grill slats were all made from old chainsaw chains welded together, really cool.

With a little imagination you can come up with some neat stuff!

#58 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 11:30 AM

With a little imagination you can come up with some neat stuff!

yeah and he had a "rat" hood ornament made out of a circular saw blade cut in half and some other pieces welded on it to make it look like a rat head. Truly was a "rat rod"

Oh another one I've done a few times over the years...aluminum pop can cut up and used for shims on exhaust pipes, bearings, or whatever, etc. Or just a exhaust pipe hole repair, little mechanics wire to hold it on and perfect

:rocker2:

and don't forget coat hangers, they will outlast a standard muffler hanger any day

Edited by TAHOE, May 21, 2013 - 11:35 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#59 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I get the same from my neighbors. When I am in full-on project mode in the summer with parts hanging to dry, they barely say hello. But just wait until something breaks. Then I'm the long lost friend in need of a beer. Oh well, at least they bring a peace offering.

yup me too

#60 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 21, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I have used grocery store carts for hauling around parts and tools at work for years....cheap transpo for my stuff I need when the contractor I am working for is too cheap to buy rubbermaid carts.   I never saw one modified before tho...that is a great idea!  I might use that.......

I cut the basket off and use the bottom with wheels to set car engines on so I can wheel them around