• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:26 PM

12 hp Kohler K engine had a knock.....Took rod out and measured it....5 thou of play......Rubbed the rod ends on a piece of sandpaper until I got it down to 2 thou.......no more knock.

#17 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:55 PM

After replacing fuel pump in gas tank on my truck the clamp that holds the line let go, As I was 100 miles from home I had to think what poor folks did and after looking in the bed of truck and finding some rope I tied it off. ( I forgot about it and it is still working).

#18 smasher OFFLINE  

smasher

• Member No: 6997
  • 18 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:40 PM

after breaking a tooth on the ring gear of my bike i found out a new set would be over 350 dollars, the pinion was fine and the rest of the ring gear was in good shape too. After thinking that i couldnt really break them more than they where i decided to weld up the missing tooth with a tool steel rod i then profiled it with a die grinder. That was 4 months ago and its still on the road!
gear.jpg

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Some good ones here guys. I make tools on the fly sometimes as well. I was installing a tub the other day and had no wrench to hold the drain fitting while tightening the ABS fitting on the bottom of the tub. I found a ABS plastic coupling that fit perfectly down inside the drain, cut 4 notches in it to catch the cross pieces in the fitting and drilled a 3/8" hole through the other end. Put a drill bit through the hole and was able to tighten it while keeping the fitting on the bottom facing the right direction.
The best one I've heard of for cheapness, and cleverness as well, was a neighbour of my fathers. He was re shingling the roof of his house and re using the shingle nails. There were lot of them that had a buildup of asphalt on them so he borrowed a cement mixer from another neighbour, dumped in the nails and some sand and set it to mixing. Cleaned all the gunk off the nails slick as can be.

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:29 PM

The best one I've heard of for cheapness, and cleverness as well, was a neighbour of my fathers. He was re shingling the roof of his house and re using the shingle nails. There were lot of them that had a buildup of asphalt on them so he borrowed a cement mixer from another neighbour, dumped in the nails and some sand and set it to mixing. Cleaned all the gunk off the nails slick as can be.

All hail King of Cheap:worshippy1::worshippy1: I guess I'm not as cheap as I thought I was, :bigrofl:

#21 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Amazing subject and as it goes on we, Brad and my self will be mixing and pouring a new drain in our shop. A bit to cheap back in 1980 when the shop was remodeled. The fork lifts were not in the picture at that time and with there addition the drain has taken a beating.
Looks like tomorrow will be the day.3 Picks will follow.

#22 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:57 PM

The 10" plastic wheel on my 30 gal. air compressor fell off so I guess I'll have to make a new one. The other side had broke a few years ago and I made one for it out of scrap plywood. Saw a set of rubber covered steel ones in True Value the other day. Sure would be nice to just buy something already made for a change. Other than I try never to borrow, the guy reusing the roofing nails sounds like me.

#23 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 10:33 PM

Ive been known to McGyver my way through lots of stuff to save a buck but of course nothing comes to mind right now. Not my idea but a guy I knew made a shingle removal tool with half of an old truck leaf spring, worked great getting started on the edges.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 10:55 AM

The thing about making stuff to save $ is sometimes it works and sometimes it ends up being a really bad idea.I've burned myself a few times with homemade stuff that just didn't do the job. This is a great thread!

#25 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 05:28 PM

To day I was sandblasting parts for the Dumpster. Spread a big tarp and I am reusing the sand. Next time I'll run it through a screen before reusing. :rolleyes:

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:01 PM

To day I was sandblasting parts for the Dumpster. Spread a big tarp and I am reusing the sand. Next time I'll run it through a screen before reusing. :rolleyes:

I don't think I have ever only used sand once. Never thought much about it, guess that is being frugal LOL. We even have a shaker screen that sits on top of a 5 gal bucket for just that purpose. Now that I think about it, the screen is an old metal speaker grill I got from work....
Gawd, I'm cheap! :bigrofl:

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:24 PM

I save all my old nails, screws, bolts etc. and take them to the metal crusher when I go for the extra cash. I'm going to build an archaeologist's sieve to get the ones out of the fire pit too, but that has more to do with preserving tires than cash for old metal.

I built my garage and shed man-doors out of left over 1x6 instead of buying doors.

My front step is built out of left-over lumber. The entire design was based on me looking at the lumber I had.

I re-wired, one bit at a time, a stove and a dryer and was going to do it again before Mrs. Rev insisted on new ones.

I have darkroom sinks and tanks as a potting bench, a planter, and flower pots. They are made out of quality stainless steel, and I was actually paid to haul them away. My rain barrels are old photo chemical mixing tanks. I designed a fountain/water feature based on an old replenisher pump from a photo-finishing machine, but my wife, who I met in photography school, recognized that the spray pattern would be inappropriate and stopped me from building it. Good thing too...the neighbours may have run me out on a rail, and I wouldn't have known why.

Of the 20+ vehicles I've only owned, only two were made after I graduated from high school in 1982. I'd still be driving my 1981 3/4 ton, but the cops decided it was unsafe due to having a floor built out of old washing machine sides and spray-foam insulation.

My composter is made from old pallets.

I'm pretty sure it's genetic though. My grandfather had me disassemble an old combine when I was a kid. We saved every bolt and piece of angle iron, kept every possibly-useful mechanical part, and then sold the rest for scrap.

That's all I can think of for cheapness demonstration. A thread for laziness-induced proclivities might be in order though.
  • MH81, caseguy, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#28 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I save all my old nails, screws, bolts etc. and take them to the metal crusher when I go for the extra cash. I'm going to build an archaeologist's sieve to get the ones out of the fire pit too, but that has more to do with preserving tires than cash for old metal.

I built my garage and shed man-doors out of left over 1x6 instead of buying doors.

My front step is built out of left-over lumber. The entire design was based on me looking at the lumber I had.

I re-wired, one bit at a time, a stove and a dryer and was going to do it again before Mrs. Rev insisted on new ones.

I have darkroom sinks and tanks as a potting bench, a planter, and flower pots. They are made out of quality stainless steel, and I was actually paid to haul them away. My rain barrels are old photo chemical mixing tanks. I designed a fountain/water feature based on an old replenisher pump from a photo-finishing machine, but my wife, who I met in photography school, recognized that the spray pattern would be inappropriate and stopped me from building it. Good thing too...the neighbours may have run me out on a rail, and I wouldn't have known why.

Of the 20+ vehicles I've only owned, only two were made after I graduated from high school in 1982. I'd still be driving my 1981 3/4 ton, but the cops decided it was unsafe due to having a floor built out of old washing machine sides and spray-foam insulation.

My composter is made from old pallets.

I'm pretty sure it's genetic though. My grandfather had me disassemble an old combine when I was a kid. We saved every bolt and piece of angle iron, kept every possibly-useful mechanical part, and then sold the rest for scrap.

That's all I can think of for cheapness demonstration. A thread for laziness-induced proclivities might be in order though.

Darn them officers anyway:smile1: I dont think we are voting here but if we were, you might just be in the lead.

#29 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hey, old washing machine sides are galvanized. If GM would have used them in the first place, the floor wouldn't have rusted out.

#30 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 07:26 PM

I don't think I have ever only used sand once. Never thought much about it, guess that is being frugal LOL. We even have a shaker screen that sits on top of a 5 gal bucket for just that purpose. Now that I think about it, the screen is an old metal speaker grill I got from work....
Gawd, I'm cheap! :bigrofl:

Ahhh, reality sets in.....I hate it when that happens:smile1::poke:

Hey, old washing machine sides are galvanized. If GM would have used them in the first place, the floor wouldn't have rusted out.

Excellent point, but I would have been much happier if you had said it was a Ford:smile1::wave: