• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 11:16 PM

Or maybe I should use the word "Frugal". I want to hear about the things you've done to save a buck and had to laugh at yourself for it or felt pride in the fact that you didn't have to fork over the dough to the parts guy who was going to over charge you for the replacement part you couldn't get anywhere else. Home made tools count here too.

We've all used a nail for a hairpin in a pinch, fence wire to hold things on, stuff like that, but I'm hoping for moments of inspiration caused by necessity.

I'll go first. Tonight I made a Techumseh case gasket out of an unused last year's Community Fair poster and three 3 thousandths shim washers out of a pop can.

Edited by MH81, January 31, 2012 - 06:28 PM.

• dstaggs, ducky, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,530 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 11:30 PM

You are on a roll there Alan. I will have to start watching what I do. Just never thought it was worth that much till now.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:18 AM

"Back in the day" we called it "creative problem solving". The Sears Roebuck Catalog served more than just the obvious purpose.:bigrofl:

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,630 Thanks
  • 39,004 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Made some bushings for the Ford deck lift instead of buying the high dollar shoulder bolts. Probably several other things I've been 'frugal' about.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Well when I rebuilt the wobble drive on the sickle bar for my David Bradley, the bearing was locked up, the replacement was going to cost $50! So I popped the seals out with a screw driver, flushed the bearing with some carb cleaner, then took it to the kitchen sink, ran hot water thought it until I had everything washed out of it, let it dry, popped the one seal back init, greased it up, popped the other seal back in it, and reinstalled it.
  • boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,282 Thanks
  • 6,487 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:55 AM

On my son's little 4 wheeler the rear hub splines stripped out and replaced with new , the second time it stripped I tighten the axle nut and tack welded the hub to the axle , figured all I would need is to grind a few spot welds off if it ever needed to come off , never did while we owned it , I have a lot more to post because I'M CHEAP :smile1: Al

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,646 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:06 AM

In the height of the recession a friend was out of work and his belt broke on his GT. When I went to replace it I saw the brakes pad's to stop the blades were worn out so I took an old leather belt cut it to size and glued it on the old pad. Still on there today.

When ever I get a coupon from HF for free Screw drivers I get them and make special tools out of them. I'll grind them down to fit in a hole or bend them a certain way.
  • boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:02 AM

We're going through the Dave Ramsey program at church to learn how to be cheap.
Though I do cheap out on most of my tractor parts if I can make it.

#9 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,248 Thanks
  • 2,378 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:50 AM

Whenever I need a tool or tools or equipment that is expensive to buy I will first check out the local pawnshops to see if they have it for cheap. My big floorjack, my welder, my air compressor, my gear puller set, a couple of deer rifles I bought for my sons when they were 11 (they just turned 22), anytime I needed one certain wrench or whatever, always I check the pawn shop first. I bought a complete cordless drill set that was over $200 bucks in the store for $19 bucks at the pawn shop.
  • WHdbJD, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,224 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:54 AM

On idler pulleys with bad bearings, the bearings themselves are cheap, but complete pulleys are 4 to 5 times higher than the bearing alone. I drill out the spot welds in the pulleys, so the 2 halves come apart, install what is almost always a common bearing, then use bolts/nuts to put the pulley halves back together.
  • AcreFarm, Alc, JDBrian and 4 others have said thanks

#11 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 10:24 AM

11 years ago I started this shop. Only the walk-in portion at first, with 6x6 posts and 25 scrap storage building doors $60 (roll-up kind) for walls and roof. In '09 a tornado took the roof while I watched and I added the section with the OH door ($50) since. The composite shingles are the only thing I bought retail. I wired every light, every receptical, drove every screw and nail myself. I lugged sheathing, shingles and framing all single-handedly. Only the original 18x18 floor has concrete (had help there) which is the last time I'll ever pour concrete and the balance packed clay-Its damn tough to find concrete CHEAP. Craigslist provided the steel roof and siding and as you can see more is to be done. Its not perfect, nor the best--but maybe pretty cheap. I'd show you more cheap stuff on the inside, but I'm going to clean it up first. Another 11 years? ---:bounce:
P1300093.jpg Should have added there's 972 sq ft , spent about $3K (and climbing)--Lee

Edited by Toolpartzman, January 31, 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,336 Thanks
  • 1,449 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:11 PM

When we restored our 15-30 McCormick Deering farm tractor we needed a sluggin wrench to get the nuts off the back axles that hold the steel wheels on. Problem was that the nut was over 4" and we couldn't find a wrench at any of the local rentals or even borrow from people. My solution was to make my own out of 3/4 inch thick scrap steel. I cut it all out with an angle grinder and then cut the hex shape out further with a die grinder. It wasn't a pretty tool but it got the job done and only cost the grinding wheels and electricity.
  • Delmar said thank you

#13 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I bought a motor out of a junked camaro to put in my truck,Rather than buying a reman engine.

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:43 PM

:D another word i can think of is Vainity, im so cheap im at the Williamsburg dump just about every saterday morning poking through roll off dumpsters for tools, scrap steel, tubings, engines, mowers.
I have many but one that comes to mind is the Hesston DT680 tractor, instead of ordering a new muffler from overseas for it i bought one intended for a Massy instead and made it fit with a drill press and a welder.
  • Delmar said thank you

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Great thread Alan. I have been through the scrap yard here to gather stuff like steel tubing and such, works rather well. I have salvaged all sorts of things, including a tractor of the month LOL.

I have made numerous brackets just to keep from having to buy them for more than they are worth.
  • Delmar said thank you