• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 01:56 AM

I traded a buddy a mower deck the other day for a Bolens 1053 with a deck and blade. He said it runs very poor. Original Wisconsin engine, decent paint, seat, tires, ect. These tube frames seem to be a well built machine. Never owned a Bolens before. I'm a CASE guy both on the farm and in the garden. In trying to resurrect this thing I am going to replace all the wiring as it's cobbled and shot, plus the usual fluid changes, grease, ect. Is there anything special to know about? I have downloaded the manuals from here to read over. The mower has the shaft on it, and a deck wash fitting. So far the only thing that has me confused is if you push the tractor it will roll a few feet, then the RH wheel locks up, bump it backwards and it rolls again. It looks like the lock pin is out, differential lock cup do-dad is turned out, but it won't free wheel for more than a few feet. Also, I got a bag of transmission parts with it, but the end cap in the bag is white and my trans is red/brown. Help?
Posted Image

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 05:09 AM

That's a pretty good looking 1053. I believe the trans in the 1053 is supposed to be white.I have a 1053,and it has the white one.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Are you sure your free wheeling pin is pulled all the way out?

The transmissions were painted white on the 1053's. , It sounds like the paint is off on yours as you are probably down to the cast iron...

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,178 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 11:50 AM

You've got a good tractor there!

I believe the rear-axle end play in your transaxle needs to be adjusted. .....The correct procedure is posted at this link:

Bolens Rear-Axle End Play Adjustment - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

The Wisconsin engines are very good engines. .....If it is running poorly, the most common problems were ignition or a burnt exhaust valve. ......It is definitely worth repairing & keeping.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 02:30 AM

Well as soon as I finish the repairs/rewiring of the Allis Chalmers B-112 I will bring the 1053 in the garage and strip it down. I pulled the spark plug out and you can read the letters on top of the intake valve so it must be fairly clean in there. It hasn't ran for a while and I see mice have invaded the blower housing so that will need a cleaning too. The wiring is a zoo of splices and tape. I cleaned the gas tank the other day and I imagine there is crap in the carburetor as the tank was nasty. The more I turn it over with the starter the more the compression seems to build. I may put a tiller on it for spring garden work if I can get it going without much work. I will have to recheck the rear end color. someone spray bombed the tractor as the starter has a ton of over spray on it as well as some of the decals. I looked in the parts bag and there is a 3 bolt cap, shift rails and forks and some gears. The trans seems to shift into all the gears and nothing in the bag looks bad so? :confuse: A guy at work had a 1050 with blower, blade, tiller, and weights for sale for $650, anybody want the tractor and blade? We are over by Delavan, WI.

#6 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 12:55 AM

So today it got dragged into the shop. Free wheeled for 5-8'the then lock up. Got the light out the free wheel pin is all the way out. I also noticed quite a gap on the axle in between the thrust washer and pin carrier. Evicted mickey to. Also noticed that if you push it in reverse and push it makes a clicking noise out of the wheel.

Edited by 1031d, February 06, 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 05:46 AM

So today it got dragged into the shop. Free wheeled for 5-8'the then lock up. Got the light out the free wheel pin is all the way out. I also noticed quite a gap on the axle in between the thrust washer and pin carrier. Evicted mickey to. Also noticed that if you push it in reverse and push it makes a clicking noise out of the wheel.

You definietly need to adjust the rear axle end play...

#8 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Okay, downloaded the manual, anything I should keep an eye out for while I'm in there? I also ordered a gasket and seal kit from tube frames because this thing is already marking it's territory.