14 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Got an e-mail this afternoon from a stranger. He was talking to a friend of mine who said I was looking for equipment. He found a set of discs in his garage and was looking to sell them. $20.00.

So I drove out and had a look. One section needs to be bolted back on, but the disc section is complete. There are a couple things at the back where I think (pretty much guessing here) you could set a couple of discs up to make a bedder, but there are no shafts or discs there.

Anyway, here's my latest. It needs some paint and some grease, and somebody welded a sleeve hitch on there that I'll have to cut off, but hey, $20.00

DSC_0879.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0882.jpg
  • DSC_0881 2.jpg
  • DSC_0880.jpg
  • DSC_0880 2.jpg

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Why would cut off the sleeve hitch? That's exactly what I'm looking for >http://gardentractor...076/#post137000
If you send it to me I'll give double what you paid for it:bigrofl::bigrofl:

Good stuff nice find.:thumbs:

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Great score, looks like Sears 3 point discs to me. It looks like a drawbar mod, not sleeve hitch.

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Good buy, I agree with Casey that it looks like a draw bar setup rather than sleeve hitch.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yep, someone decided to drag a set of sears discs around with an LT or a 4 wheeler instead of using a Sears 3 Point GT.

After you cut that off, you'll have a nice set of discs that will need at least one cement block on it to cut in well. I love mine, well designed units.

One more thing. You did very well on that buy, these are the rarer 5 disc instead of 4 disc per side.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, it is a drawbar...tell ya the truth I didn't look at it too close except to say, "I'll have to cut that off." I'll have to pick up some zip cuts. I think I might need a whole new grinder, come to think of it...the old one was making that bad armature smell after only 20 years. I'll have to see if if the Makita boys have any reconditioned ones at a special former employee price.

The bolts that hold the sections of discs on need to be replaced too. One's missing, one is stripped...that's on the side that isn't connected. The bolts on the other side don't look too great either. The sections are adjustable though, so you can change the angle, so it would be good to have new bolts and nuts that can actually be turned. That and some paint is pretty much all it needs though.

I'd like to find out more about the bedder thing (if that's what it's for) too.

Oh well, that's all got to happen after the snow melts. It's too cold outside to be painting, and there's no heat in my garage.

Now all I need is a plough. I see a place that has a two-share John Deere in limited cat. 1. I wonder if the 420 would drag that through the clay around here?

#7 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 09:10 AM

:wave: Nice Find. That blade would be also useful item also.

I think that the hitch was put on the disc so that it could be used on any tractor or 4 wheeler.

The rear half I believe was put there to hang some weight on so that the disc could cut into the ground. These discs are so light that they need some weight to do a good job of cutting into the ground.

I have the same disc. The color of mine is all white frame works. The blades are all black.

Edited by timtractor, February 03, 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 09:37 AM

Nice looking disc Reverend. Congrats on the good score.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yep diffinately a sears. My FIL showed me the trick to using a single gang disc for bed prep. After you break up the big stuff and are trying to get a seed bed, make your first pass, when you go back to the beginning of the first pass, overlap half of that pass with the other side of the disc. Dont try and make another full pass beside the first.

Kids screaming and fussing be back later to explain better.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 07:05 AM

The rear half I believe was put there to hang some weight on so that the disc could cut into the ground. These discs are so light that they need some weight to do a good job of cutting into the ground.

Weight is always good, and I don't have much use for a bedder anyway...mostly I plant grass and trees. I wonder if I could scrounge some old weights from work. There was a pile of them in the main yard...not sure if they were going for sandblasting or scrap.

After you break up the big stuff and are trying to get a seed bed, make your first pass, when you go back to the beginning of the first pass, overlap half of that pass with the other side of the disc. Dont try and make another full pass beside the first.

So effectively you'd be making 1/2 new pass each time, but two passes by the time you finished. Smart. Should make a nice job.

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yep, thats it. It kinda hard to explain maybe I will do a vid of it this spring.

#12 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 10:01 AM

:wave: Reverend here are a few pics of my disc.

It is a Sears. The model number is 917 252110.

img_20120202_160451.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• img_20120202_160409.jpg

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 06:23 PM

That looks a lot like mine. Guy I work with was looking at mine today and wondered if there was a seed drill option to go on the top. I don't think there ever was, garden equipment not being the most efficient way to farm wheat, but it would be a decent way to plant grass.

#14 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 06:31 PM

I went back and looked at your pictures in your post.

If you look in this pic,http://gardentractor...s-dsc_0880-jpg/, on the arm going up to the top link. That is where you will find your ID tag. Try and somehow get a little of the paint off the tag.

The tag will might look like this if it is a Sears unit.
img_20120202_160506.jpg
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 03, 2012 - 06:39 PM

The tag is there...you can actually see the outline of it in the pic...but it's completely unreadable. I'll have to clean it off in the spring.