16 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 03:30 PM

One of my favourite ways to plant grass, especially for dressing a lawn to refurbish it, is to mix grass seed into the soil. I use a small cement/mortar mixer and a ratio of 5 or 6 shovels of topsoil to a 1/2 to 3/4 of a shovel of seed. That's a lot of seed, but seed is cheap and the extra gives better results. I then spread the mixture about 1/2 to 1 inch thick over the existing lawn and rake it smooth. It's a good idea to aerate first.

This works well on small areas, since the topsoil encourages the existing grass to grow and the new seed thickens things up.

I did it at a friend's place last year and now a friend of his is wondering if we do it at his place. The difference is the yard I did last year was maybe 20'x50'...easy enough to do by hand. The one I'm being asked about is almost an acre.

I'd likely reduce the seed ratio and maybe spread the dirt a little thinner for such a large area, and I'd definitely use a harrow instead of hand-raking, but I need to get around the hand-shovelling to spread the dressing somehow.

Is there some kind of towable spreader that can be rented that I can fill up with the mixture? I was thinking something like a small manure spreader might work, but then I thought the landscapers/golf courses must have some kind of machine they use for applying dressing to grass.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:04 PM

I would think that an ordinary drop spreader would work, but wouldn't be much better than a single shovel at a time. There are commercial versions available, but would be cost prohibitive for a single large job.

I found this model Click Here, and they are large capacity units, but as I mentioned above, they're expensive.

Edited by caseguy, January 29, 2012 - 04:11 PM.

• Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yes it does.

Loyal Manure Spreader, 23 Bushel - 2128498 | Tractor Supply Company

I don't think they would rent it, but a rental place might.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, I'll have to check with the rental places and see what they've got. Just not sure what to ask for, really. Maybe I can hire a nephew or friend's kid to stand in the back of the truck with a shovel?

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:08 PM

We would mix the seed with fertilizer and spread with a normal spreader, rotary type wide path.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 08:14 PM

You might try "Hydro Seeding", that's where you mix seed, soil and water together and use a pump To pump it out on the ground.

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Perhaps you could "borrow" a brush type top dresser from a local golf course or maybe even rent one from a local rental yard. Toro and other manufacturers make ones that function a lot like a drop spreader but uses a walking floor to move the material from the box back to a brush which then insures a uniform amount of material drops to the ground. You would still need to mix the seed and soil before loading it into the machine. The width if the material varies by the model of the spreader but can go up to about six feet and the depth is adjustable by altering the speed of the moving floor or the vehicle mounted top dresser or the vehicle pulling it if it is a tow behind. There is also the spinner type of spreader that covers a much wider area but the material depth is much less.

1299861563-topdresserpics003.jpg

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• Toro vehicle mounted.jpg
  • Toro tow behind.jpg

Edited by golfwrench, January 29, 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 06:42 AM

That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about, golfwrench. I'll have to see if I can rent one. With all the large properties now, you'd think one will be available. I need to know how much though, so I can tell the guy who owns the property.

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 13, 2012 - 08:53 PM

That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about, golfwrench. I'll have to see if I can rent one. With all the large properties now, you'd think one will be available. I need to know how much though, so I can tell the guy who owns the property.

I just checked one of the Golf Course Superintendent site I am a member of and they have several used topdressers from $250 and up.

The site is at http://www.turfnet.com . Click on "Used Equip" then "Search for sale ads" next "Category" drop down to "Topdressers" change 5 to 25 because there are a bunch select the state (you can only do one state at a time) or leave blank for all states.

I found this one there and it is a great machine for what you discussed doing, parts are readily available and they are pretty easy to work on. The machine would probably pay for itself fairly quickly It is made by Turf Co and their web site is at http://www.turfco.com . It is a tow behind unit.

Topdresser Item: 1990 MeterMatic III Asking Price: $250 Condition: Fair Hours: ? Comments: Tow behind belt topdresser In use until last November... We are getting a new one!!! Some adjustments to engagement gear needed, but it works Contact: Chris Carson
echolakecc@aol.com
Echo Lake CC
Westfield, NJ
tel: 908 232 3621 fax: Posted: 01/11/2012

Edited by GTTinkerer, February 13, 2012 - 08:55 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 03:06 AM

:yeah_that:

#11 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Perhaps you could "borrow" a brush type top dresser from a local golf course or maybe even rent one from a local rental yard. Toro and other manufacturers make ones that function a lot like a drop spreader but uses a walking floor to move the material from the box back to a brush which then insures a uniform amount of material drops to the ground. You would still need to mix the seed and soil before loading it into the machine. The width if the material varies by the model of the spreader but can go up to about six feet and the depth is adjustable by altering the speed of the moving floor or the vehicle mounted top dresser or the vehicle pulling it if it is a tow behind. There is also the spinner type of spreader that covers a much wider area but the material depth is much less.

1299861563-topdresserpics003.jpg

Bill

Those are neat looking rigs.

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:56 PM

A rental place near me carries a small pull-type top-dresser with it's own engine. Takes about 1/2 yard of topsoil at a time. $150 a day. It should meet my needs pretty well.

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 05:56 AM

Glad you found one. :)

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey