My plan wasn't to build a replica of any particular make of tractor, just something that myself and my daughter who is 7 could use around the garden.
First step was to find a donor mower. After looking for a while i came across a Mountfield 8 which was in a skip ready to go to the scrap man. Mine was in much worse condition than the one is this picture but the engine and transmission were fine (couldn't find a picture of a Mountfield 8 ).
The transmission had taken in water but it cleaned up ok. The engine still had the hone marks in the cylinder so had seen very little use. I later found out that the 8 never had a cutting deck fitted to it as it was only used to pull a roller.
I forgot to take photos of the first part of this build, but this is as far as we have got after the first day.
The bonnet is from a MTD Lawnflight which was new, it was old stock in a local dealers and i got it for very little money. The next photo shows the bottom section of the front grill and the frame to carry the seat.
I have to say a big thank you to my mate Gary who helped in the build of the tractor, he was able to make a lot of the fabrication look so easy. ( he is a welder/ fabricator by trade) We weren't so sure what style of cowl to make to hold the steering column, switches etc, but this is what we ended up with.
Next it was time to start the rear arches and foot plates. Because my 7 year old daughter was to drive this i wanted the wheels well covered to prevent her from getting caught up in the rear wheel.
The foot rests are made of 4mm checker plate.
With all the fab work completed it was time to tear it down and start the painting preparation. All surfaces de-greased, sanded and primed.
All rubbed down with a coat of undercoat.
Time for the top coat. Chassis black, tin work Terex green.
After a day or so drying, i quickly put it together for a photo or two.
I still have a few jobs to do to get it finished,
Bolt it all together.
Install wiring loom.
Fit new rear wheel and tyres.
Get engine running smoothly as it is hunting for fuel at the moment.
I'll update as i get some of this lot completed.
Edited by moogie, January 29, 2012 - 09:08 PM.