13 replies to this topic

#1 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi Guys,
I know this question has been gone over before somewhere on here but would like to see what you think.
I have a 83 Jacobsen with a 14 hp Kohler. Nice big all around tractor for my needs. I mow about a 1/2 acre field and the lawn around my house. I also do some snow clean up with it. It also serves as firewood hauler with a small trailer in the woodlot next door and general clean up.
My question is that it is up for some new tires. I am going with some turfs up front from Tractor supply. The rears I am not sure about. I have seen some on here with the ag/lug type. I have a brand new pair of turfs in the shop that came with it when I bought it. Turfs work ok for mowing although I have spun up some lawn on some of my inclines. They are kind are poor in the woods if you are not careful. Would the ag/lug do more damage to my lawn than good? I run chains in the winter time so thats ok. Are these type tires harder on the rear end? Its a hydro and its not like there are a ton of these kicking around.
Thanks for your help,
Buck

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:39 AM

I like the ag/lug tires. They don't do anymore anymore damage than a turf tire as near as I can tell. I get stuck less though, so they likely do less damage. Not sure how good a measure that is though, since the turfs are on my LA105 and the ags are on my 420.
  • Buck said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:00 AM

When ags do spin, they do tear up more grass than turfs, but they spin less often. My Kubota, which I mow the house area with, has turf tires. I spin at times, but it just burns the grass instead of tearing chunks out, like ags will do. I pretty much stopped all wheel spin by putting on a set of wheel weights, and of course being cautious when on those inclines. That said, a set of ags won't tear up much if any if you also weight those, and take your time. Plus the ag tires will make your tractor much more user friendly taking on chores other than mowing. Ags won't affect your hydro. That's an older unit which will be stout as can be. Anything can break if pushed too far, but you don't sound like you are doing that at all.
  • Buck said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:09 AM

The yard around my house is fairly soft for a good portion of the mowing season. I use turfs on the mower because I don't like the impressions that the ags leave in soft ground. This is a personal preference of mine though, and if you have firm soil, it shouldn't be a problem for you. I just wanted to throw that out as a consideration. The ags will serve you better in the other functions and as Dan mentioned, they offer much better traction, especially with some added weight.
  • Buck said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Back during our GT poor times in the mid 70's, I remember Dad using his tire chains on the turf tires when he needed extra traction on a job. He got to the point where he left them on most all the time. We didn't have a hard surface driveway, so we didn't worry about marking up the concrete.
  • Buck said thank you

#6 johnboggs21 OFFLINE  

johnboggs21

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4084
  • 18 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 11:55 AM

I leave my tire chains on all the time, but then again I dont ever mow grass with my tractor lol
  • Buck said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 12:32 PM

I leave my chains & weights on year round. It's only a problem when I'm running over to the fairgrounds to do some work. Blacktop + 3 link chains = potential kidney issues at high speed.

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 01:28 PM

I just put a pair of CST Ancla ATV tires on my Bolens 1886.

It has a FEL on it and was stuck in my side yard. It's been REAL wet this Fall/Winter and the ground is super-saturated. The 1886 had turfs and NO weight on the rear, so it really didn't have much traction. It got out to the soft part and just sat on top of the grass and spun.

I had the 26-12-12 Anclas filled with Rim Guard, which added 110# per tire, put them on the 1886, and it walked out of that yard like it was dry. NO fuss, no muss, and no wheel spin.

I was also impressed with the LACK of any major tire marks left. Especially considering how soft that yard is, and how deep the tread is. I'm only about 160#, and I could feel myself sinking in a bit when I was walking on it. You could see where they went, but it wasn't all that deep at all.

Here's a link to show you what they look like. If there is a size available that fits your tractor, they might not be a bad option.

ATV Tires*>*CST Ancla*>* CST Ancla 25x8x12 :: AllTerrainOnline.com

#9 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thats funny John! I wish I could have that option! I could find a "beater" mower but my wife would kill me if I brought home another tractor to take up more of my time!

#10 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 03:16 AM

I never mowed with my MF1655, but I've done a lot of FEL work crossing the back yard without damaging the grass with the loaded turfs, 2-link chains and a 5' back blade for counter weight. At 2400 lb, I tend to keep it away from mud but she'll handle just about anything else. I'll let the guys with the ags play in the mud and ploughed up dirt, mine's set up for snow.
  • Buck said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 02:57 PM

I have 8.9 acres, that I'm mowing with my 318 until I decide where to plant everything. In that area I have 3 springs and a depression where the previous owner plumbed the eavespouts to dump. So I have those 4 areas that are wet pretty much year round. After getting stuck last July the chains have never been off the 318(with chains it walks right through). Also the bank between the yard and the road is not mowable w/o wheel spin. My chains are 4 link so ride a little rough on the asphalt drive way(incidently they don't mark it up much).
Your always going to have a trade off but ig ya gotta go you have to have traction.
  • Buck said thank you

#12 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wheel weights do wonders with turf tires and going up hills.It won't tear your yard up as much either.
  • Buck said thank you

#13 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 01:08 PM

:wave: One option you could check into is the tires produced for ATV 4 wheelers.

They have 12 in tires with tred patterns that are between a turf tred and a tractor style V lug. There will be alot of tred options available from really agressive deep lug to street turf tred.
  • Buck said thank you

#14 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted February 01, 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have some Carlisle Field Trax on my X728. Great traction and don't tear up the yard much.