• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hey guys, I have a 216 that I picked up a while ago in non running condition, I got it running but it has a very strange knock. This doesn't sound like a rod to me, you can even hear it and feel it in the block when turning the engine slowly by hand with the sparkplug out. I noticed that when you turn the engine by hand and watch the valve open and close through the sparkplug hole you can see the valve drop a little just as it goes over the nose of the lobe and the knock happens right then. You can rock the crank back and forth at this point and make the knock in both directions, could the cam not be solidly attached to the cam gear? I'm in the process of pulling the engine out, was just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Thanks for any input.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:00 AM

I wonder if the cam is damaged. You'll probably have to tear into it to find out. If it has the counter balancer that can cause a lot of grief when it fails.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:30 AM

Either that or the valve is 'sticking'. Further investigation should show something. Pull the cover and see if it is adjusted properly and see if the lifter is doing the same thing. If so, then the cam has a bad spot in it.

#4 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 07:53 AM

I'm gonna get into it further today, ran out of time last night. Engine is ready to be lifted out of the frame, first I'm going to pull the cam gear cover to see if there is any movement between the cam and crank gears. I'll most likely give it a light rebuild because I have no idea of the hours on it, research tells me it's a 1979 so it could have a few!

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Being it does it either way coming off a cam lobe, it sounds like extreme gear lash clearance. As said, could be the counter balance gears. I always pull them out regardless of their condition. They do far too little good compared to the damage they do when they fail......which is totally destroying the engine!

#6 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 03:22 PM

Well its apart, the cam is broken right at the gear which would explain the knock when the valves come off the lobe and the long side of the piston skirt is broken off on both sides of the piston. The good news is the crank journal looks and measures good as well as the cylinder bore. The engine had no sign of oil usage, exhaust port is very clean and the piston top was relatively clean. The exhaust guide seems loose but I haven't measured it yet. The funny thing is this engine has a petcock type drain on the oil pan, before disassembly I tried to drain the oil and none would come out even though I knew it was full, the piston parts were plugging the hole! Oh well, I guess I'll be on the lookout for a cam and a Ebay rebuild kit. Oh, almost forgot, doesn't have balance gears, doesn't look like it ever did.

Edited by Enginerod, January 29, 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 03:44 PM

Sorry to hear of the damage. Hope you find the parts needed to bring it back to life.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 03:53 PM

I think the Kohlers with gear starters didn't have the balance gears.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 04:43 PM

It sounds like it's not too bad and you can save the engine. If there is not a lot of carbon buildup then the engine is either low hours or has been apart and de carboned. It tends to build up near the exhaust valve on the head, deck and piston. A lot of the JD's don't have the balance gears. The early 300's had them but the rest of the 300 series does not have them. I wasn't sure if they used them in the 200 series or not. A quick trip to JDParts.com and a look at the engine diagrams for any given tractor model will tell you if they have them or not. JDParts is worth a visit if you've never checked it out.

#10 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 08:45 PM

This is only the second k series kohler I've had apart, the first was the k321 in my deere 140 H1, that one had balance gears but I took them out. That kohler had the gear drive starter.

#11 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 09:34 PM

Figured I'd update the progress on the k341. A guy at work had a k321 that he said I could have the cam out of (same cam as the k341), bore measures real good at 3.749", crank at 1.499". Also took the governor gear out of the k321, mine was missing teeth. Measured the old ring end gap, top ring .028", within used spec., the second ring gap was .083", yeah .083". How it is that large is beyond me, maybe the wrong second ring, I mean you could look at it and tell it was huge. Can't give the oil ring gap because it broke while I was removing it, however it was a strange ring in that it was one piece, top,bottom and separator.Also decided to buy the master rebuild kit from that ebay place BAT4KIDS, seems like a good deal and I read good things on here about it.Well thats it for now. Bill

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the update. With a little luck, the rebuild kit will have it purring like a kitten soon.

#13 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 05:06 PM

There are 1 piece oil rings out there.

#14 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 08:38 PM

Update on my k341, I know its been a while but I finally fired it up tonight. I rebuilt it with a Stens kit, it seems to run very nice and actually shakes alot less than I thought it would. I will have to get a coil for it, it has no spark with the original coil so I took the coil off my 66 Nova just to get it started. I'll try to pick one up tomorrow.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Glad to hear you got it running. Those K series are a well built engine and very serviceable. I've got a 321 on my jd 314 and did some work on it last summer to bring it back to life. Too bad the balance gears often destroy them. JD took the gears out of them at some point. There are none in the 314.