#1 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 3333
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well, the 900 has been down for over a month while I work on restoring the mower deck, the hood and front wheels and put in a new clutch. I got the mower deck back from the powder coating shop and was a little dissapointed because the color isn't quite right. The green is a little to dark and should be brighter :wallbanging:. I was told I was being WAY to anal about it, but . . .

The underside where all the work is done was overcoated with "grafitti clear", so as to give it extra hardness and keep the grass from sticking and it's slicker than snot.

They also screwed up and powder coated the brackets black. The only thing I wanted black was the pulleye's :mad2:. The bracketry actually looks pretty good black, but "it ain't right", what do you all think, green? or leave it black?

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0354.jpg
  • DSC_0352.jpg
  • DSC_0355.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm Sorry to see that they screwed up the colors :wallbanging:

I guess you could always use that deck for working and get another deck that is the original color and use it for show? Just a suggestion if you are trying to go all original

Did you give them a sample of what color you wanted?

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Well, the 900 has been down for over a month while I work on restoring the mower deck, the hood and front wheels and put in a new clutch. I got the mower deck back from the powder coating shop and was a little dissapointed because the color isn't quite right. The green is a little to dark and should be brighter :wallbanging:. I was told I was being WAY to anal about it, but . . .

The underside where all the work is done was overcoated with "grafitti clear", so as to give it extra hardness and keep the grass from sticking and it's slicker than snot.

They also screwed up and powder coated the brackets black. The only thing I wanted black was the pulleye's :mad2:. The bracketry actually looks pretty good black, but "it ain't right", what do you all think, green? or leave it black?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28862[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28865[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28866[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28867[/ATTACH]

Tell them to make it right or you would like your money back!

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:06 PM

It looks like they did a good job on the powder coating, but not quite the colors you wanted. I also think that you should let them know you are not happy and want them to correct the color.I hope they want to make a customer happy.Keep us updated.

#5 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:15 PM

No chance on a "redo", they won't do it. I'll have to live with it

#6 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:19 PM

The guy said, "oh ya, no problem, I know that color, I did a Bolens in Texas for my dad". problem with powder coating is you can't just change color tint, the color is what it is. The color on my deck is "Forest Green". It's not accurate, but the finish is supurb and the anti grafitti on the u8nderside will definately keep the grass from sticking.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Oh Crap but you have what you have so I guess you have to be proud of it. Glad you getting it back together.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 05:21 AM

Wrong colour or not,the deck still turned out very nice.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Sorry for the color being off, but it does look good. I'm curious about the coating on the bottom side, keep us posted on that.

#10 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:02 AM

The underside of the deck was coated with the same color powder as the rest of the deck, then over that is "anti-grafitti" clear, man is that stuff hard. These old decks always have the problem of grass sticking inside and that is the source of the corrosion damage you see on most of them. My thought was, the powder coat is slick enough, but many hot rodders who powder coat their frames and suspension components now also put the clear over it as further protection because it is slippery and hard, thus protecting the powder coat finish underneath from the abrasive effects of sand, etc., and also makes it very easy to clean, just wipe it off.

We'll see how well this theory holds up. Car goes 70 MPH down the road, I'm not sure of the velocity of particles wizzing around the underside of the mower deck, but it must be close to that. Eventually everything wears down, even diamonds.

I had a paint shop color match an epoxy paint for me to paint some of the things that are not getting powder coated, the drive hubs for example. I am having the bearing housings powder coated however. The front wheels go next week, they better come out the same white as the hood did, ya, I had the hood powder coated too, what a maroon! So far I have about $350.00 in my deck resto, including new knives, bearings a hub and the powder coating. I figure when it's done to have about $450.00 in it.

Anybody's thoughts on the bracketry yet? Paint them green, or stick with the accidental black?

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:31 AM

... Anybody's thoughts on the bracketry yet? Paint them green, or stick with the accidental black?

I guess that depend on how "Correct" you want to be.

You did say earlier:

... The bracketry actually looks pretty good black ...

Do what makes YOU happy.

I know that if one of the "Correct Police" ever tries giving me grief over having a Wheel Horse Sickle-Mo on my 1256, I'll tell them to go p*** up a rope. :D:D:D

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:40 AM

As for the black Brackets, I know that if It were my mower, and had those 2 different colors I just wouldnt feel right using it knowing that in the back of my mind that they are supposed to be green. I know that sounds crazy ,but for some reason it just drives me nuts when I see stuff painted a color it shouldn't be. But Like oldbuzzard mentioned above, if it makes you happy and you are ok with the colors then I would stick with it.

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm one of those that doesn't really care how "correct" the paint matches. Ilike use something close and easy to match later.

I used JD green on my DB wheels when it's really a bit to dark. I also don't worry to much about removing all the dents and scratches. Now if I was restoring back to a show piece, I would be more conserned about the color.

There is a thing called "Over Restoration" where you can overdo it. Doing something the factory never did.

#14 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:11 AM

:wave: Are you able to find an extra set of hanger brackets for the deck? :confuse:

If you could, I would save the black ones for ones for another Bolens deck and get the other set painted to the color you want.

If this is a tractor you like to mow the lawn with having a second deck for mowing would be good. Have one deck for show and one for play.

#15 C130A Flight Engineer OFFLINE  

C130A Flight Engineer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 175 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hmmmm, valid point! I use my 48 year old 900 to mow about 2.5 acres of grass around our partment complex, garden and aircraft hangar. That may end up going to 3+ acres. I was getting concerned about demanding that much work out of a nearly 50 year old tractor, industructable or not, so I also bought a G10, which is in Wisconsin still, but I'll get it down here in a few months and I'll have a backup/relief tractor for the 900.

I have now accumulated the following attachments: 38" mower deck (under resto), plow/dozer blade, 36" snow blower/thrower, Haban Sickle Mo x 2 (one for sale, a 415A), Haban Flail Mo and a Bolens Garden Disc. The G10 has a 42 inch deck on it as well.