Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Raise your hand if you want to answer my stupid question!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well after some :wallbanging: and a little blood I got the lift for the drawbar off. Here is the bent arm, I had already cut it off when I took the pic so its not in the right spot. The bar in the middle connects the lift to the drawbar, it got a little bent as well.
Posted Image

When I was cutting the bent arm off I hadn't realized how far I was cutting into the bar. Im going to have to weld in the cut and grind it flat, no big deal.
Posted Image

Edited by bmxkid313, February 24, 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#32 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 03:23 PM

It's nice that these tractors are made of solid steel and are easy to repair or modify. I'm sure you'll have it just like new soon. Keep up the good work.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#33 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Dave! I dont think it will be hard to fix, I got the lift arm pretty well straitened out. I think im going to have to add a gusset or something for strength. When i cut it off I had to remove a good size piece.

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 05:40 PM

I welded in that cut that made while taking the arm off, and gridded it down. The other piece is the arm after I straitened it out, It was a complete circle on one end but i had to remove a chunk to take it off.
Posted Image

I welded the arm back on and put some round bar on each arm to give it some strength. The one side didn't really need it but I thought it would look better if it matched.
Posted Image

Now I just have to sand it and paint it, then I can put it back to use!

#35 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Looks good Ryan!! Should be nice and strong. Just a little safety tip: If your welding and grinding inside your garage remember to check back after you leave a few times because sometimes thats how fires start and keep all combustible items away. Those weld beads look good, do you have a MIG?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#36 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Looks good Ryan!! Should be nice and strong. Just a little safety tip: If your welding and grinding inside your garage remember to check back after you leave a few times because sometimes thats how fires start and keep all combustible items away. Those weld beads look good, do you have a MIG?

Thanks, I have a small mig welder that I use quite a bit. Those welds aren't my best but I think they are strong enough for what I need them for. Im not a very good welder anyway. I will check the garage after Im done from now on, thanks for pointing it out to me.

#37 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Well thats good, a mig can give you a much cleaner bead and the trick is to get the 2 pieces of metal to get penetrated with your melting wire. All I have at home is a little AC buzz box that works ok with 6011 rod but the bead isn't too pretty. I remember years ago when I was at the sawmill I used to use a MIG for my projects and I could run a beautiful bead with it but had to make sure it penetrated the metal and not just sit on top of it.

#38 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 10:14 AM

My best weld on this project is the one holding the arm to the bar. The welds for the corner supports aren't as nice.
Posted Image

#39 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 12:09 PM

Looks good to me Ryan. Good work on fixing your breaks.