Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Raise your hand if you want to answer my stupid question!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Did you ever get this resolved?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#17 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:32 PM

is there a fuel shutoff on the gas tank? the kind that a screen/filter on it? I would look into cleaning out the gas tank, changing that valve too. I had a cub with a metal gas tank and a john deere with a plastic gas tank that the screen on that shutoff valve rusted/clogged up.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 08:08 PM

No I haunt gotten to it, I still need brake cleaner. If I could legally drive I would go get some myself. At least I have the 75 to take some of the work. It has a shut off but I always leave it on and it does not have a screen in it, it has a glass bowl style.

#19 jlpowell OFFLINE  

jlpowell

• Member No: 8518
  • 3 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:27 PM

it sounds to melike it getting to much fuel . by the comment of white smoke after it dies
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 06:50 PM

it sounds to melike it getting to much fuel . by the comment of white smoke after it dies

I hadn't thought of that, Hopefully a good carb and tank clean will fix it, if not, you can guarantee ill be asking what to check next. lol

#21 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hi Ryan, I just looked over this Forum and decided to join like you suggested. My PK does that exact same thing but only in the summer when its hot out and the 60" mower is such huge load on the little 14 hp engine that it runs into the governor alot and then it seems to run out of gas and stalls. I wait for it to cool off some and it starts right back up again. I have learned from others that it could be a vapor lock condition caused by the exhaust stream being too close to the fuel pump and or carb. I have redirected my exhaust muffler and hope it solves it. I had already rebuilt the carb, replaced filter, cleaned tank etc. but it still did it.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hey Dave, Welcome to the site! I'm glad you joined! The fuel line on my 71 has been changed so it doesn't go through the fuel pump and its closer to the exhaust. I got brake cleaner yesterday so hopefully I can clean out the carb and tank either today or tomorrow. If it does it after I clean it out I will reroute the fuel line so its farther from the exhaust pipe.

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 03:39 PM

I took the feul line off one end and put it into a gas can so I could drain the gas tank, I turned the fuel bowl on and it only dribbled out. I took off the filter and it still only dribbled out. So I took the bowl off the tank and the valve on the bowl was filled with crud. There was so much that the fitting on the tank was clogged and it barely came out. I poked at the crud blocking the tank with a piece of wire and it came out then the gas flowed freely. I rinsed out the tank with water and shook it around a few times, It looks like somebody used some kind of sealer on the inside, either its starting to come off or some spots didn't get coated. Its by the wood stove drying now. I didn't take the carb off, I dont like doing anything with them, im always afraid to mess something up. If it happens again ill take it off and clean it.

Edited by bmxkid313, February 19, 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#24 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Glad you found that, your fixing things all the time. I remember having to do that years ago. The little spout on the tank tends to get plugged up after years of use and flow diminishes to a mere trickle. I use those large Fram Filters inline that you can see through and it should be almost full of gas all the time. I had noticed it when the filter was barely 1/4 full and wondered if flow was stopped up somehow.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Glad you found that, your fixing things all the time.

That's because im breaking things all the time! Lol! Im going to put the tank on tomorrow and hopefully I cam find something to do to try it out.

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 20, 2012 - 04:33 PM

Put it together this morning and the feel bowl filled up quickly, before it would only trickle into it. It puffs a little white smoke when I throttle up so it probably had water in it still when I put it back on. As long as its not enough to stall it Im not to worried about it. Thanks for all the help!

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 09:25 AM

Sounds like you have things in hand. I would reccomend you keep a couple inline filters on hand, till you get it completely cleared up It's easy to change filters. I once bought a 75 LTD with very low milage, biggest mistake I ever made. I found out later the owner never drove it over a mile to work every day. The fuel tank was loaded with rust and I had to change the fuel flter every week, then the gas tank rusted out and I had to fix that. I no longer buy low milage cars.

#28 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 02:12 PM

I have several of those filters in my garage and all of my tractors have at least one filter in it.

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I went out haul some billets that my neighbor has for us and I got one load but on my way back for more I staled like every time before. I had to pull it back with the 75 and then I finished with the 75. I guess ill have to clean the carb out tomorrow.

#30 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 04:42 PM

I cleaned out the carb good and got it back together and it works fine now. I went for a ride in the woods and it had no fuel problems. I brought a chain with me so i could rip out a dead tree stump. I wrapped the chain around the drawbar like always and backed up to the stump. I unwrapped what I needed And left the extra on the drawbar without checking how it was hooked. I gave the stump a few good pulls, I didn't get my hopes up about pulling it out since it only has turfs without chains right now. I quickly realized that I loosened it as much as it would and I went to unhook the chain and I had seen that the way it was hooked caused one of the bolts on the lift arm to snap. With the broken bolt, the chain was still hooked and bent the lift arm to more then a 45 degree angle of what its supposed to be. I heated it up and put a crescent wrench on the end of the arm for leverage and pulled. I was only using my left hand to pull as my right hand held the torch but it was enough to break the weld holding the lift arm to the bar that makes it move, I obviously didn't have it hot enough. Just about the only downside to the economy name is that they had terrible welds. Both of mine, and my neighbors power kings all have bad welds. The welds are a common complaint from other owners as well. Now I have to figure out how to straiten it, and then reweld it back on. I'll get pics soon.