Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone planning changes to their gardens for this year ?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think I'll try moving the strawberries from the one end to anew spot , they used to do well there but the last couple of years not so hot , at the opposite end are the raspberries and those too havn't been producing as well either . I'm going to try mulching more both with the sorghum grass for weeds and plastic for warmth the melons need .

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am still learning alot about gardening and what grows good here. I have two garden plots an upper and lower. I am planning on lots of tomatoes this year. I normally dont plant any at all because we dont eat them plain, they have to be in something salsa, sauce, etc.. I have decided to try and use some of the canning recipes for the tomatoes and thats the reason I am going to plant them this year. I try to limit our garden to stuff we can preserve. I Hate seeing plants go to waste because we cant eat all of them or they go bad before I can get them canned.

Anybody got good sauce. salsa etc.. canning recipes?

#3 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 09:00 AM

We are going to expand some and plant more out in the field than last year. We still need to spread compost out there. Hopefully we can get some good root crops going.
The others have been ordering seeds for the past few days. Compost has been spread in all the raised beds and the hoophouse. I need to consolidate the compost piles to make the place look a little neater but it is either too wet or frozen. Weather has not be very nice this winter. Every week it seems we get cold and a little snow in a windy storm on the weekends and then it warms up into the forties and rain for the week and makes everything too soggy to work in. As someone else mentioned on another thread, pests are going to be terrible this year because of the mild winter. Hopefully next winter will make up for this one.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 914 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 09:17 AM

I am running behind this year because we have so much rain. I need to get the old Troy Bilt out and get it ready. I try to get sweet corn planted by mid march but this year it may be too wet.

#5 Saltydawg OFFLINE  

Saltydawg

• Member No: 7982
  • 3 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 11:47 AM

I am still learning alot about gardening and what grows good here. I have two garden plots an upper and lower. I am planning on lots of tomatoes this year. I normally dont plant any at all because we dont eat them plain, they have to be in something salsa, sauce, etc.. I have decided to try and use some of the canning recipes for the tomatoes and thats the reason I am going to plant them this year. I try to limit our garden to stuff we can preserve. I Hate seeing plants go to waste because we cant eat all of them or they go bad before I can get them canned.

Anybody got good sauce. salsa etc.. canning recipes?

I would suggest you try Roma Tomatoes or a similar variety for sauces, and I've always liked Brandywine Tomatoes for making stewed tomatoes or slicing.
When canning I always add a teaspoon of vinegar to each jar instead of salt as I'm on a low salt diet. It keeps the color stable so they don't turn dark.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm still trying to convince Mrs. Rev that we should plant potatoes in the front yard as the first step to a new lawn. She's resistant to the idea. Taters help break up heavy clay though, and are a good soil prep for new lawn. Since I'm still working on the back, we're not going to do the front this year and won't be growing any veggies besides a few tomatoes. We eat a lot of potatoes, so they'd help with soil prep for next year and feed us.

I think I'm going to expand into the neighbour's yard out back too, at least if they don't sell the place. The mother who lives in Ontario now owns it, and the son bought a place and moved out. I know the mother wants to sell it. The daughter has moved back in though and being a 20-something young woman doesn't have much time for the yard work. I was thinking I might offer to look after it so her brother doesn't have to come over and do it. I have a couple of self-started apple-crabs and some Saskatoon bushes I could plant there anyway.

I was also considering raising bees because we've been short on pollinators around here, but since we might have new neighbours on each side (the other neighbour is building a bigger place), it's been suggested to me that I see who moves in because of how common allergies to bee stings have become.

If I get real lucky we'll get neighbours who don't use the back parts of their yards at all, or neighbours who need tractoring kind of help.

Other that, I plan to continue my guerilla gardening efforts in the empty field behind our place. I've been planting weed trees, mostly poplar, back there for a while now. It helps to break the north wind. This year I'm going for some wild flowers and maybe some corn...low to zero maintenance stuff. Along with a guy down the alley, we're also trying to find out about putting in a community garden for those without large yards, or maybe something to help the food bank. It seems kind of a waste to have that big field (as near as I can tell there's a little over 20 acres) sitting back there empty, and whoever owns it (we're into weirdness there) has to pay somebody to mow it twice a year.

Anyway, those are my gardening plans for the year. Pretty much everything is up in the air until I get all the landscaping finished behind the fence.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 02:14 PM

I grow Giant Pumpkins in my back tard, and have a 1500 sqft patch, that's only enough for 3 plants I try to grow 4. I may expand it out bigger. I do have a tomatoe and pepper bed I need to expand.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:07 PM

We are going to plant some of the more animal resistant crops out side the fence and do more inside. Last summer was the first year we had a few pears on our pear tree so we are hoping for more this season.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think I'll try moving the strawberries from the one end to anew spot , they used to do well there but the last couple of years not so hot , at the opposite end are the raspberries and those too havn't been producing as well either . I'm going to try mulching more both with the sorghum grass for weeds and plastic for warmth the melons need .

Al, If you move the berry plants, will they still make a good crop this year? I have heard that you won't get many strawberries for a season. Just asking...

We are not going to do anything to our garden this year after the big expansion last year. We will be changing some of our plants around to different areas, but no big changes..

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:51 PM

Brian , I know as the strawberry plants get older , after about 3-4 years they don't produce as much . I think growers plant a section and then after a few years just replant them all , mine are in just one row about 18" x 35' , I didn't pinch off the runners like they tell you to do so there are a lot of different years growing together when I moved them there from a different spot I dug them out and put them in a bucket full of water while I planted them . The biggest , woodiest ones I just threw away . If I remember I seem to have gotten a nice crop the first year there , hope that answers your question , Al

#11 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Brian , I know as the strawberry plants get older , after about 3-4 years they don't produce as much . I think growers plant a section and then after a few years just replant them all , mine are in just one row about 18" x 35' , I didn't pinch off the runners like they tell you to do so there are a lot of different years growing together when I moved them there from a different spot I dug them out and put them in a bucket full of water while I planted them . The biggest , woodiest ones I just threw away . If I remember I seem to have gotten a nice crop the first year there , hope that answers your question , Al

One way my mom did it was plant them in rows and remove the runners till the original plants are past their prime(I think 2 years) then on the last year till up the paths between the rows and train the runners over there. Then when the runners are doing good just till in the old bed for your new path. My memory isn't always very reliable but that should be the close.
  • Alc said thank you

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'm going to cut back some this year! Wife can't eat sweet corn anymore & I can buy locally grown on the street if I want some. Cutting back on the ornamental garden too! Strawberry patch will be cut from 4 tiers to 2, she can't eat many of them either.

Our strawberry bed is on an east facing slope at the end of the house, has always done very well there. Four tiers about 12' long x 2' wide, protected from north &west winds by the house. They get morning sun, but not the hot afternoon sun, close to water if needed. Every few years, I dig out about 10" deep, put that dirt in the garden & replace with amended fresh dirt. Has been there for 25+ years. Replace plants every couple of years, two tiers at a time. ~~ Lowell

#13 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Expanding slightly this year.

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 06:48 PM

This yr I plan on having a garden where last yr I didn't.

#15 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Our biggest change this year will be from some advice I received from one of my fellow drivers before I retired. He said that when he planted his garden that his rows were a little wide, but that was so he could drive his tractor thru to cultivate. Keeping after the weeds was our biggest challenge last year. Hopefully we can be ahead of the weed problem this year.