• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• Member No: 8409
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I am new to this site and and also new to owning an Ariens so please bear with me. I have an Ariens Gt 18 with the Kohler Magnum and a Ariens Gt 19 with a Kohler Twin 19 in it. Does anyone have recommendations on which one I should keep? I was going to sell one of them as I really don't need both. Suggestions? How do the two compare and contrast?

Thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:03 PM

I will let others comment on the differences between the 2 engines. I would consider the overall condition of the tractors and lean towards the one that was in better shape.
  • Mr Ariens said thank you

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:40 PM

:welcome: to the forum.
I had one of the GT series tractor but didn't get to use it before someone bought it from me. They do appear to be well built tractors as I recall.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Mr. Ariens,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Welcome to GTTalk,
I would look at overall condition of the two machines, also price a few of the common wear parts and search around to see if either has any known failure weak spots. They are both good engines IMHO, and either one could last you 20 yrs or 20 months... You just never know what the history is on a used unit.

One other point, very few of us seem to have the word "sell" in our vocabulary. A few of us have, but it was to get the $ to buy the GT we wanted more. Not needing one just means you have a spare to put a different implement on & Not having enough room is rarely a deterrent either.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Welcome Mr. Ariens. Glad you are here. I would keep both unless you need the money. Get a snowblower for one and leave a mower on the other, as suggested previously.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 08:21 PM

:wave: Mr Ariens Welcome to GTTalk! There are a lot of things to consider as mentioned above, but My wife could probably make the argument that I don't NEED 9 of my ten Wheel Horses LOL. Hopefully she wont though. I'll leave the accolades to someone else as I'm not overly familiar with either of the tractors or engines. We hope that you enjoy the forum.

#8 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate all of you responses. They both run very good. I will have to consider all options I guess. The GT 18 needs a new starter as it slips a little. Is it hard to change out the starter?

#9 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted January 30, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Thanks to all of you, I appreciate all of you responses. They both run very good. I will have to consider all options I guess. The GT 18 needs a new starter as it slips a little. Is it hard to change out the starter?

Do you mean sometimes it has trouble engaging? If so, I had the same issue. A little silicone spray lubricant on the sharft of the starter motor that the gear spins on solved the issue.

#10 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:47 PM

I sprayed some lubricant on it and it seems to be working so far. Hopefully that solves the problem, a lot easier than pulling the starter, ha ha! Thanks for the advice!

#11 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone replaced the bearing on the PTO on the back, Ariens wants $90 for it, is there a cheaper bearing out there to replace it?

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 08:15 PM

If you can get the bearing out of the holder and off the shaft, there is almost always a bearing you can make work. There is a place here called Erie Bearing. They can get me most anything with a few accurate measurements.

http://www.eriebearings.com/

#13 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I sprayed some lubricant on it and it seems to be working so far. Hopefully that solves the problem, a lot easier than pulling the starter, ha ha! Thanks for the advice!

I tried several differentlubricants, but none worked long term until I used the silicone stuff. All of the others would seize up again shortly, especially in the cold. The Silicon spray was a tip from the head mechanic at the local ariens dealer.

#14 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Does it slip off the spline end or do you have to pull the gas tank and pull off the shaft and pull it from the other end?

#15 AriensDon OFFLINE  

AriensDon
  • Member No: 9768
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hello. New to site. That bearing on rear pto is held in by the triangle plate it has 3 bolts take those out and loosen the allen screw in the collar. lub it up first. the bearing is just a 1" bearing with locking collar. if shaft is good and clean the bearing should slide off. You can get it at most tractor supply stores or online a lot less than ariens replacement would cost.