• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Ah, found some fence pics that show what I mean.

Thats an easy technique to make it strong. I used mortise and tenon and used construction adhesive to fill in the gaps in the joints. The table was one of my first projects and I was just playing around to see if I could do it. That was 20years ago and it hasn't moved. you could use construction adhesive in the method in your picture as well. That joint would not come loose - ever.
  • shanabo60 said thank you

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, I find it's easy and quick. Also, all you need for tools is a circular saw and a chisel. I used to do a lot of rough carpentry on-site, so I like to keep things as simple as possible.

I used construction adhesive on the potting bench I made for Mrs. Rev using this method. Having a shed wall fall on it did no damage at all, so you can be sure that it's pretty strong.

BTW...if you know any photographers who still have old shallow stainless steel sinks hanging around, the sinks make perfect potting benches. I had to cut the legs off the one I got because the room had been built around it, so I built a new base for it out of pressure treated lumber.

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2012 - 03:23 PM

I don't have any pictures to share. I have built 4 work benches all the same way. I start with 4" X 4" legs in the same design as JDBrian uses. The big difference for me is, I use a solid wood 3'0 door for my top. The doors are very durable, and I can pick them up at a local salvage lumber yard.

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 29, 2012 - 12:22 PM

I don't have any pictures to share. I have built 4 work benches all the same way. I start with 4" X 4" legs in the same design as JDBrian uses. The big difference for me is, I use a solid wood 3'0 door for my top. The doors are very durable, and I can pick them up at a local salvage lumber yard.

Salvaged stuff is good! The top on mine was a 8' long, narrow piece of a bar that I came across somewhere - 2'' solid wood. It had brown formica on the top. I cut it in half and then spline jointed it together to get the shape I needed. Peeled off the formica, filled and flattened the top. I find it's nice to have a super flat surface to work off of. Inevitably the top gets cut, drilled and painted on. I just unscrew the 1/2 mdf and put a new piece on when it gets too rough. I think I built it around 1990 when I first got the table saw. Man time flies!

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 04:54 AM

Good ideas, guys. Thanks for sharing them.

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 05:38 AM

:DIt doesn't matter how big you build it, it will still be covered with stuff and have no usable space.

----:bigrofl: Exactly!!! I have 3, one of which I wrote "No Parking" on to remind me to put stuff away, a 22 ft long wall "table" with a radial arm saw in the center and NO PLACE TO PARK A COFFEE CUP:wallbanging::wallbanging:

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:27 AM

----:bigrofl: Exactly!!! I have 3, one of which I wrote "No Parking" on to remind me to put stuff away, a 22 ft long wall "table" with a radial arm saw in the center and NO PLACE TO PARK A COFFEE CUP:wallbanging::wallbanging:

Sounds like a nice shelf.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 07:43 AM

That's what most of mine turn into, Will.

#24 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm not trying to suppress any creativity, but have you checked your local craigslist? Here in the rust belt heavy duty workbenches are a dime a dozen - perhaps even cheaper than the lumber it would take to build a new one.
I just thank the stars for the 300 pound monster steel one that my grandfather left me.

#25 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted January 31, 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yea...you know I have checked Craigslist.I live close to Lexington,Louisville and Cincinnati and have checked all three.I have found some,but no deals,just overpriced crap.I thought there would be plenty good benches for sale with the economy like it is.I'll get started here pretty soon !!Thanks!