• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 02:04 PM

I need to build a big,sturdy workbench.Has anyone used those resin legs from Northern Tool?If so,how did they work out?Other than that,has everyone used 4X4 for legs?I was thinking about building a 4X8 bench.Any ideas and/or pictures appreciated!!:help:
  • shanabo60 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 02:56 PM

4X4's would be good, add some weight to hold it steady.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Just finished my workbench today, 29" x 92" and 3 foot tall (I'm 6' 2"). All of it from steel framwork and tabletop we had around here, so re-purposed them. The top bolts to the base as opposed to weld. It is about all Dad and I can move, so easily 300 pounds or better. I don't want to know LOL. Legs are 2x3 box tubing and all pieces between them are the same material. The top could have been thick plywood but we had a large metal table top of some sorts that we ended up using. Good luck on your bench.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Unless you work on really large stuff a narrower- (24-32")- table may be better use of space. It's also useful to have shelves underneath if you don't need to move it. I have a 32x48 table with 4x4 wood legs and a 2" wood top that sits in the middle of my basement workshop and a 24x96" along one wall.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:31 PM

Sorry, I didn't see the request for pictures. Heres a couple, mess and all. I built the workbench at least 20yrs ago. It's a sort of a crude mortise and tenon construction. I used construction adhesive in the M and T joints to fill in the gaps. That method of construction is very strong. The top is lag bolted from the underneath and has a piece of sacrificial 1/2" MDF screwed to the top. I do woodwork on this and every few years when it gets beat up I change out the mdf and put a fresh coat of sealer on it.

DSCF7200.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF7198.jpg

#6 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 04:53 PM

Brian: are you on any wood working forums. nice mobile saw base.

#7 jc56 OFFLINE  

jc56

• Member No: 8302
  • 10 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks to everyone.Nice pics Brian!!!I have a bench now that is about 30" by 60" or so and it seems that I am always frustrated that it is too small everytime I work on something.4 X 8 may be a little too big,but I didn't see any reason to waste lumber.If anybody else has ideas....send them on.Thanks guys!!

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:49 PM

I haven't any pics of mine by itself, but I'm using a 32" wide steel door set on a couple sawhorses. Works pretty good and easily moved out of the way.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 05:56 PM

I haven't any pics of mine by itself, but I'm using a 32" wide steel door set on a couple sawhorses. Works pretty good and easily moved out of the way.

Now THAT'S the Okie way.:urock::urock:
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 08:31 AM

:DIt doesn't matter how big you build it, it will still be covered with stuff and have no usable space.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#11 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Right now I have 2 benches that are 4' by 2' and are old counter top pieces, they have 2x4 legs and 2x2 stiffeners. I also have a kobalt brand bench we bought from the previous owners of our house. I am getting into wood working a lot more and I am wanting to build a big and heave wood working bench that will probably have 6x6 legs, 2x6 stringers, and a top glued up from 2x4's.

here is a older picture right after moving in, while I was getting things settle in the shop. I think everything is in a different spot now.
Posted Image

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:21 PM

Brian: are you on any wood working forums. nice mobile saw base.

Thanks for the compliment Chuck. I am not on any woodworking forums. I like to do woodwork but mostly end up doing home renovations and repairs. The tractor thing gets in the way lately as well. Another hobby is audio equipment and I have built stands for equipment as well as speakers and subwoofer cabinets. The mobile stand is handy. I saw one at a store one day and it was expensive and made of metal. I thought the design was rather clever and I set about trying to make one out of wood. It cost peanuts to make and gets the job done.

#13 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the compliment Chuck. I am not on any woodworking forums. I like to do woodwork but mostly end up doing home renovations and repairs. The tractor thing gets in the way lately as well. Another hobby is audio equipment and I have built stands for equipment as well as speakers and subwoofer cabinets. The mobile stand is handy. I saw one at a store one day and it was expensive and made of metal. I thought the design was rather clever and I set about trying to make one out of wood. It cost peanuts to make and gets the job done.

my wood working is getting in the way of the tractor hobby right now. I need a way to balance them.

#14 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 07:43 PM

Something I find makes work benches a lot sturdier is letting the cross-members into the legs. Just adjust your saw blade to the depth of the lumber you are using for cross-members, make several cuts across the 4x4 in the area the cross-member will go, and knock the excess out with a chisel. I don't have pictures of that on this 'puter, but it cuts down on wobble. Good technique for fences and picnic tables too.

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Ah, found some fence pics that show what I mean.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0792.jpg
  • DSCN0794.jpg