• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:17 PM

For the plow plow on my 75 power king you have to get off of the tractor to angle the blade. Getting on and off all the time gets old fast, especially when dressed for plowing. I'm going to be making a lever to angle the Blade from the seat. I have thought about is a lot and have a way to set it up that I'm pretty confident will work great. I will have a lever that will be welded to a rod, the rod will have an arm coming off of it and the arm will have some kind of connector to the plate on the plow. the lever will have a brake lever from a bicycle that will release the plow so I can move it back and forth.

For those who may not know how the plow is set-up, here is a pic.
Posted Image

This is were the lever will go.
Posted Image

Thanks for reading and if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sounds very similar to the system that the Wheel Horse plows used. You might want to look at a few pics of those.

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Sounds very similar to the system that the Wheel Horse plows used. You might want to look at a few pics of those.

I did, its pretty much the same thing with a few minor changes. I think gravelys might have had a simaler set-up as well but im not sure.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I got tired too when I used the snow plow on the Jim Dandy , I added a hyd. cyl. , some quick couplers , and a extra valve to angle if you want to go that route I could explain in detail Al
1228101618.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1228101617.jpg

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I got tired too when I used the snow plow on the Jim Dandy , I added a hyd. cyl. , some quick couplers , and a extra valve to angle if you want to go that route I could explain in detail Al
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28670[/ATTACH]

That would probably work better, and be more fun to make. lol. But it would cost more then I want to spend on a simple project. It sure seems like you did a good job on it. I saw a pic of one were somebody did pretty much the same exact thing you did, here are a few pics.

100_0571.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0570.jpg
  • 100_0569.jpg
  • 100_0567.jpg
  • 100_0568.jpg

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 09:45 PM

The older Allis /Simplicity plow systems used this and you didn't need to get off the tractor to change the angle.You would just turn the lever to release the catch and push or pull on the rod to change the blade angle.It works really good.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 195 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 196 (Small).jpg
  • blade install 011 (Small).jpg

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I bet a lot of makes had similar ways to change the plow angle. Last night I remembered that I have a cylinder and valve from a cub cadet that got junked a few years ago. (dont worry we took everything we could.) The cylinder only has 2 1/2 inches of travel but I think I can make it work without a problem.

This is what I have.
Posted Image

#8 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Fella, I just got done doing what you originally described. Though I won't argue that hydraulic would be better if you're willing to take the time. Other hints: First, I did the bicycle lever and trip. It works but... I never thought about.... when you're plowing your hands get cold and it gets tougher to squeeze that lever. What makes it even a little bit harder is that it's cold and it's got more friction than when it's warm. So I'd recommend a mechanical trip if you can. I may try to do that sometime myself. Second, if your going to use a bar or rod to push... Make sure that you attach it to the frame behind the plow, not the plow itself. If you put it on the plow itself, it will yank that rod straight forward when you hit something and hope your hand doesn't get pinched. I actually had mine tack welded onto the plow before I figured this out. Otherwise... good luck!

HPIM2829.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2830.jpg
  • HPIM2831.jpg

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 01:22 PM

I hadn't thought about those things before, thanks for pointing them out. I think in going to make it hydraulic. The only thing I dont know is, the hydraulics that are on it now have larger lines then the lines that are for the valve and cylinder I want to put on it. Will the smaller lines be strong enough to handle the pressure if I tap into the system that is on it now?

#10 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 09:51 PM

If you use hydraulic line it will hold up to the pressure just fine. Line size for the most part is not going to matter in your case. I am 100% in agreement with going hydraulic if you can. I am designing a way to angle my plow electrically. I do not have hydraulic capability. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

#11 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 11:34 PM

i would say go with the hydro. but i would get a cylinder from tsc. i dont think 2inchs of travel will be enough

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 08:03 AM

I deiced to let this one wait, I don't think I will even use the plow until next winter. Its been a mild winter and I don't think it will snow again. I will do this project next fall. I think that I could do it with the 2 inch cylinder. I will make a diagram later of how I would make it work.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted February 08, 2012 - 11:08 PM

I deiced to let this one wait, I don't think I will even use the plow until next winter. Its been a mild winter and I don't think it will snow again. I will do this project next fall. I think that I could do it with the 2 inch cylinder. I will make a diagram later of how I would make it work.

Oh geez. That comment is going to do it. The skies are going to open, now. Nice jinx.