Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

real early MF10, what else is different vs. later models?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm just curious who has a first year MF10 on this forum. What else is different besides the aluminum dash and nose, starter generator, and points ignition? What are the earliest pre# 5000 serial numbers out there on the forum. Is the running board on the right of the tractor different too?

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 01:07 PM

Check out 1966 MF10 thread, shows the differences I've found.

#3 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 04:16 PM

I think Doug has found all the obvious ones. Looking at the 1966 MF 10 parts book that is posted in the manuals section, I could see the following extra small things before and after serial #006016 (which is meant to be the first number for 1967):

- Different shaped tab on clutch/brake pedal (engaging with brake rod loop)
- Different brake lever arrangement to pull the brake band
- Different shape to implement drive clutch pedal (no slot in later models)
- Different (thinner) front drive belt cover
The aluminium cowl gives rise to some other small differences but it's hard to see what. There are also quite a few small changes noted in the parts lists that seem to make no difference to the illustrations, but they must mean something.

According to the book, there is no difference in the running board, maybe any change came after 1967?

It's a bit like playing that game "spot the difference", but the parts book is one thing - it would be nicer to see photos.

George.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 09:22 PM

If I am remembering correctly didn't the very first ones not have a reinforcement plate welded under the frame where it steps up? I don't know when they added that plate.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 09:26 PM

If I am remembering correctly didn't the very first ones not have a reinforcement plate welded under the frame where it steps up? I don't know when they added that plate.

Yes that's right 66s have no center rib. My 67 MF12Hydra has it.

#6 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted May 30, 2010 - 10:19 PM

The one piece black and white seat is also only found on the eary models, but I'm not sure if it's unique to the 66.
Mine has the optional narrow rims/tires as well.

#7 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted May 31, 2010 - 10:08 AM

Well, I'm headed out on a short vacation Thursday morning to deliver the MF710 snowblower I sold and on the way to my friends house, I'm picking up a MF10 that is pretty complete, the serial number is pre-1000 !

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 31, 2010 - 01:56 PM

Well, I'm headed out on a short vacation Thursday morning to deliver the MF710 snowblower I sold and on the way to my friends house, I'm picking up a MF10 that is pretty complete, the serial number is pre-1000 !

Have a safe trip and we want pictures of your new tractor!

#9 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 08, 2010 - 11:44 PM

Well, Thursday morning at 5 AM I headed out on my journey. I stopped in Luverne, MN to sell the MF720 snowblower to jrwox. I see we have a new member from the meeting. I hope the members with MF7-8 tractors can help him get the blower going again.

I then drove to Brainerd, MN where I acquired a very complete and original 1966 MF10. The serial numbers are very low, tractor #959 and snowblower #516. The rear wheels are rotting off of it from calcium no doubt, but it is in very good shape. I had some time to do some finishing near Blackduck, MN and spend some time with friends. Hopefully someday I will make the journey North and not have to come home.

Pulltilbroke came over tonight and helped me unload the early MF10. We then pulled it out back. I didn't have time for pictures tonight, but the wife took one on the way home yesterday that will have to hold you all over till tomorrow... I'll bet nobody can even guess where this picture was taken, no it isn't Milwaukee.

Posted Image

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, June 09, 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#10 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 01:24 AM

I'm gonna guess...near Brainard? Maybe Iowa? Well - we're hanging on a thread! Did you take Hwy 15? If so, you should've stopped in for some Massey talk! My 10 is a '66, serial number 3920 I think from memory. They could have shared a moment.

#11 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 11:13 PM

I snapped a few pics after I got done mowing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 11:21 PM

I'm gonna guess...near Brainard? Maybe Iowa? Well - we're hanging on a thread! Did you take Hwy 15? If so, you should've stopped in for some Massey talk! My 10 is a '66, serial number 3920 I think from memory. They could have shared a moment.

No dice on the whereabouts of the first picture, but it was closer too you then you may think. I took HWY 75 to HWY 59 in your neck of the woods.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, June 09, 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#13 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted June 10, 2010 - 11:59 AM

Those are great pics - congratulations on a nice find! The inspection hole in the right hand side plate looks interesting - did it have a cover over it at one time? That doesn't show in the parts book! The original seat too - that will look very pretty restored.

George.

#14 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted November 02, 2012 - 09:49 PM

Boy how time flies...

Yesterday I backed the MF10 diesel into the shed and loped a tow chain on old 959 and brought it out into the sun. What brought this tractor to a hualt may years back turns out to be no spark.

Today I spent a little more serious time with it. It had a mess in the ignition, with an ATOM ignition taking over for the points, which had also failed or never worked. I bypassed evrything but the points, I put on an external coil and condenser from a chevy 350, but used tecumsehs points. But nothing happened on the spark test. I discovered that the coil would make spark if I controlled the coil manually without the points. That was very odd since the points were opening and closing when the engine cranked.

I pulled those points and found something the human eye can't see right off. When those points opened the meter should have shown O.L. on a conductivity test. Not the case, the screen started to vary as the points opened and then 5 ohms. So the primary winding of the coil would just charge forever and never collapse to send the magnetic field to the secondary winding. NO SPARKA! New points and a eyeball adjustment and we had spark. Further super close inspection revealed a partially melted insulating block and when the points opened the spring would ground out on the frame of the points.

Thank god I am an ASE master technician, a former employee of GM, Ford, and a former locomotive diesel mechanic for BNSF railway. Plenty of people tried to fix this before me and couldn't find it.

I shot a little carb cleaner into the engine and hit the starter. Magic has been restored, a cloud of black smoke, rust, and glowing embers shot out of the exhaust. For a few moments the 10G came back to life. I'm going to have to tear down the carb and a few other things before it will run on its own.

Edited by MF10 DIESEL, November 02, 2012 - 09:54 PM.