5 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm not sure who buys all the tractors and equipment we make at work, but there must be a lot of farmers having really good years lately.

Today I hauled 2 tons of washers, 1 ton of nuts, 3 tons of bolts, plus a whack of random steel parts, bits of plastic, and a jig table that pretty much filled the 8x12 deck of my truck. The closest thing I had to a break was buying a coffee when I stopped for fuel.

The other straight truck driver was just as busy, and the guys who drive the semis quit trying to keep up with the trailers backing up in the yard sometime yesterday. Our main manufacturing plant hasn't had time to clean up the old pallets and empty parts racks because they're so busy, so it's tough to find a place to unload. Our suppliers are hiring so many people that it's hard to find a familiar face.

I was talking to a guy who's more or less in the know...kind of a sub-honcho, I guess...and he says it's going to get even busier.

Some of what we build gets sold in the US, and a lot of the parts we cut end up in US assembly plants. Some of the tractors we build here end up in the US and Europe. The Canadian Dollar is high, which hurts manufacturing here. The US and European economies aren't too great, which hurts manufacturing here. The manufacturing industry in Ontario is in major trouble.

So why is a little (okay, not so little) tractor plant in Manitoba so busy, especially when our main markets are suffering through bad economic times? Have farmers been winning lotteries in massive numbers lately? Did somebody figure out how to grow money instead of wheat? Are cows giving birth to golden calves? Who is buying all of this equipment?

I don't want to give the impression I'm complaining...being busy helps the days go by faster and the truck is way nicer to drive with a load on, so if I have to be there for eight hours, I'd rather be busy. We seem to be about twice as busy as when I started though, and everything I hear in the media says we should be slower. Anybody out there know what's going on?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Glad to hear it's going well for you, better busy than bored, I always say.

Edited by MH81, January 25, 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#3 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Glad to hear it's going well for you, better busy than bored, I always say.

I learned (From my own Research) that when my Father is With-in ear shot of you, its best not to say "I'm Bored!" :poke:

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yup...I had those jobs where there isn't much to do. One place I worked I showed up one morning and the landlord was changing the locks. Being busy is better.

#5 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Maybe the economy is turning around. The auto industry is hoping this is the year sales will be up.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 25, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Maybe the economy is turning around. The auto industry is hoping this is the year sales will be up.

Maybe they should be making tractors instead of minivans?